It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the people ignorant of why the Mayan calendar ends.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
There are those of you who claim that they did not have enough room on the tablet therefore thats why it ends and why it has the face with the tongue. The people who have come up with these conclusions have done little if no research on the matter. The Mayan were some of the best interpreters of the heavens to the point where they were conscious of when and where the planets, stars, AND GALAXY align. But to all the ignorant non researches i guess its just a coincidence that the calender ends at the exact same time the precession of the equinoxes completes its full rotation. You guys are just slowing down our awareness making us look bad please stop it. We love you
edit on 24-12-2011 by GlobalControl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I saw that particular thread, too. I had to giggle.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It could be a resetting of their calender count rather than apocalypse.

First, mainstream Mayanist scholars consider this a gross misinterpretation. There is no evidence that the Mayans thought anything was going to happen on this date (other than a big party): Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[12] "For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[13] "There will be another cycle," says E. Wyllys Andrews V, director of the Tulane University Middle American Research Institute (MARI). "We know the Maya thought there was one before this, and that implies they were comfortable with the idea of another one after this."

Second: The B’ak’tun date 13.0.0.0.0 is not the “end of the calendar” we’ve heard so much about. It is the end of a cycle of 144,000 days, or 394 solar years. It may or may not also be the end of a higher-order cycle. If one piktun is 13 baktuns, then the 2012 solstice is also the end of a cycle of 5125 years. If one piktun is 20 baktuns (as most scholars think) then the current cycle does not end in 2012. The calendar is mostly base-20, except in the second position, which clicks over to zero when it reaches 18.

Third: Some Mayan inscriptions reference dates after 2012! What? Wait? How is that possible? Because, dear reader, the Mayan Calendar also has four “rarely used” (which is not the same as “non-existent”) higher order cycles!

source
I highly suggest the source link..yes it is bias in the fact it is trying to debunk the doomsday theory, but if you think about it any site suggesting it will or won't happen is biased. I would consider what both pro doomsday and anti-doomsday people have to say before making your own decision on weather or not to panic (not that panicing would help anyway so why bother)
I'm pretty sure its a joke anyway (the whole ''they ran outta room'' thing) because its the first thought a lot of people have hearing about it for the first time.
I personally don't think it will happen but I am willing to eat those words should the [snip] hit the fan next year.
edit on 24-12-2011 by PutAQuarterIn because: add

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Just because some of us feel that the Maya Calendar ends at a certain date for a reason does not mean that we think it's "Dooms Day". FYI

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
In the Mayan Codices it does say that there will be an Apocalypse but most people don't even know what the word means or is derived from: Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation"

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalControl
In the Mayan Codices it does say that there will be an Apocalypse but most people don't even know what the word means or is derived from: Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation"

Sounds to me December 21, 2012 is the day people worldwide wake up to the injustices done unto the human race by the global elite and their banking empire. This is the day we realize we are being enslaved, and a worldwide uprising takes place... whether or not we win...? I hope. That is all I can say on that. Not enough information or will to speculate to be honest. I just hope we win, and they do not succeed in pushing their agenda to eliminate 6 billion people and enslave us under a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship run by banks and megacorporations.

new topics

top topics

join