It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Women Share 1st Kiss at US Navy Ship's Return

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
2 Women Share 1st Kiss at US Navy Ship's Return

A Navy tradition caught up with the repeal of the U.S. military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule on Wednesday when two women sailors became the first to share the coveted "first kiss" on the pier after one of them returned from 80 days at sea.

First of all, to me this is no controversy.

My wife and I live with a lesbian room mate and we support her and love her dearly as she isn't just a room mate, but family, as far as we're concerned. But I wanted to comment on this story because I believe that ALL Americans should be able to serve their country in arms provided they meet the standards set by the military. Who they love should never be among those requirements.

Your thoughts?

Edit to add:

As a member of the US Army, I am very glad to see that DADT was repealed. The fact that we were kicking people out because they are gay and reducing our effectiveness on the battlefield because of it()we kicked out a few Arabic speaking soldiers for being gay, so forth and so on) is simply offensive to me when what this Army, and in general, what the military really needs is talented and capable individuals loyal to America and willing to lay down their lives in her defense. Regardless of who they love.
edit on 22-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is something I can get behind.

Jokes aside, who cares? Let people be people for crying out loud. It's not hurting anyone. Well in this case its hurting two heterosexual males from having a girlfriend but other than that, who cares?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Huh, I bet this will be a good thread. Girls kissing. Hmm...
*Loading* ... "please be hot, please be hot"..
meh. Not a bad pic, but i'm withholding judgement.

Edit: I also really don't mind that they did this. Those annoying westboro nuts are probably going to start showing up at stuff like this too if it becomes more popular or smn.
edit on 12/22/2011 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

I guess this thread would have garnered more responses worth a damn if it had been two men kissing then...

Something told me the membership here wouldn't be mature enough to handle this topic.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Love is a beautiful thing, regardless of the gender of the parties involved.

I served in the military to protect the rights and freedoms of ALL people, not just those that conform to societal norms.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
When I saw this news topic I took it as the first piece of honestly good news in a long time. I didn't have to read the article (I did later and only found myself feeling even more happy) to think that "Hey, here's a sign we aren't falling off of a cliff, but in fact starting to become a mature society."

Two women, two men. It wouldn't have mattered to me either way. I think though its better as an iconic photo that two women shared the first kiss simply because it shows how much we have changed as a race in the last 50 years, and not just technologically. Not only have women become able to serve in the Navy, but they can be as open with their relationships as anyone else as long as it doesn't interfere with their duties.

I'm really happy to see this because a really good friend of mine who is in the Navy has had a difficult time hiding this aspect of her life, and now doesn't have to.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am myself a hetero white male. I served in the Navy (late '60s, early '70s), and I knew a few sailors who were gay--but I never considered it any of my business. Nor do I now. They were as "good sailors" as I was.

A few years after I left the Navy I moved to San Francisco, where I lived for more than 25 years (I'm now across the Bay in Oakland). I've made many friends there--and here--some of them, by chance, gay/lesbian. Some of them served honorably in various branches of the military. There is no difference in the quality or honorability of their service and mine.

As far as I'm concerned: Case closed....

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I guess this thread would have garnered more responses worth a damn if it had been two men kissing then...

Something told me the membership here wouldn't be mature enough to handle this topic.

I think you're right. There's something about two gay men showing public affection that really threatens homophobic males--and I think it's more than just the thought of having served in the military next to secretly gay men... if you get my drift.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
jesus its a kiss so what?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

OMG the moral fabric of the country will be destroyed by these evil wicked lesbians!!

Good for them.. I can't help but think and laugh at all the sad, disappointed sailors on that ship.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

edit on 22-12-2011 by calstorm because: To sleepy to edit all the way.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

did you just admit to being a troll?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I think it's cool that everybody else just took it in stride.
That's the real indicator of how far we have come as a nation.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Hell yeah! Two hot women in uniform making out. Awesome

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Who wants to place a bet with me that this thread will be visited by tons of ATS males because they see the headline and just can't help themselves? Come on, ante up! I'm sitting in an airport and could use the diversion (just for fun).

Guys, if you fit the above description, please flag and reply.

On topic -- good for the first kiss ladies! We're lucky to have people like this, who are willing to spend time away from their loved ones to serve our country.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

S&F for bringing this to people's attention here on ATS, but when I will become truly proud of things like this is when it is no longer news.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I've been involved with kicking a few gays out of the military but for multiple reasons, breaking one prohibited boundary makes it easier to break others and the group I knew had little resistance to the boundaries of drugs and leaking secrets.

Having served in the Army I'm still strongly against gays in the military. I would not be comfortable in situations where attractions can distract from the mission. Consider a scene where you are showering with your girlfriend and a few dozen men, the attraction you have to your girlfriend is a 'distraction', as is the thought that there may be any possible attraction between the girlfriend and the dozen men.

I hate to bring up morals in this day and age, but what are values of trust based on but shared moral values? There has to be some structure of common morals that come from some platform of beliefs, and behavior is a part of that. If your soldier peers don't share common morals, it's very difficult to establish real trust.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
We might all as well spit on the flag now...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this. love whomever within reason.

their genetics will not pass down to a new generation, i'm guessing is the big debate around this?, according to some, it's not their choice ie. (the choice to be gay/hereditary), christians are weird

as is the ways of nature.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
I've been involved with kicking a few gays out of the military but for multiple reasons, breaking one prohibited boundary makes it easier to break others and the group I knew had little resistance to the boundaries of drugs and leaking secrets.

Having served in the Army I'm still strongly against gays in the military. I would not be comfortable in situations where attractions can distract from the mission. Consider a scene where you are showering with your girlfriend and a few dozen men, the attraction you have to your girlfriend is a 'distraction', as is the thought that there may be any possible attraction between the girlfriend and the dozen men.

I hate to bring up morals in this day and age, but what are values of trust based on but shared moral values? There has to be some structure of common morals that come from some platform of beliefs, and behavior is a part of that. If your soldier peers don't share common morals, it's very difficult to establish real trust.

In your opion all heterosexual women and gay men should be banned in the military as women in the military could cause distraction for heterosexual men during a mission. Taking it one step further all schools should also be unisex, then no distraction at all! You could put the same logic at a office setting too!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join