It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All in the Southern Hemisphere. The Crazily Bright Star. What is it? PHOTOS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hi all, I am posting more of a question than anything else..

For those who are in the Southern Hemisphere, I am sure you have all noticed the really bright star in the sky... It rises first at dusk, with only a small amount of other stars visible. The color is deep yellow, almost orange. It does not pulsate, but does have some lines coming off it. (That might just be me needing glasses)

I have been watching this star for almost two years now. And it is definitely getting brighter, and deeper in color.

I was just hoping someone would be able to tell me what exactly it is.

I thought it was Sirius A, or maybe Venus, but it just doesn't match their descriptions. Aren't planets supposed to pulsate in different colors?

I found another description of it on the web- very similar to mine...
So we are definitely talking about the same thing, and obviously I am not the only one that's curious about it.

Any experts out there care to share what they know about it?

Here is a photo I took of it the other night. Not the best, but something, at least.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Tripple_Helix because: To add photo

And another, I know it's a bit blurry, but It gives you an Idea of the color as seen with the eye.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

Please note: These photos have not been edited in any way.
Also, they are mine.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

I know the one it seems different to the other stars in the sky. You can see it even in the bright city lights. I asked a teacher once who said it was Venus.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
i have been following a very bright star in georgia for years - even took pics w/a digital camera and recorder but couldn't get anything to show -

i've been told just this year it was venus - it doesn't appear in the sky where i am used to seeing it but is it the one that follows close to the moon?

it is getting brighter - now venus is known as the bright and morning star but i used to call it the death star before a friend told me it was venus -

i even started a thread on here more than 2 years back and on other boards as well -

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

The brightest star in the sky at the moment which is in a Nth Easterly direction at dusk is Jupiter and yes it looks huge at the moment.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

but is it the one that follows close to the moon?

Yes, that is the one I am talking about.

It's just so strange to me that I have never seen it in the skies before up until two years ago... If it is Jupiter or Venus, wouldn't it have had that pattern in the past??

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

The brightest star in the sky at the moment which is in a Nth Easterly direction at dusk is Jupiter and yes it looks huge at the moment.

Well, I am not great with directions and such.. sorry. But my boyfriend used the compass on his phone and was +- 3 degree off West.. I don't know if that is the correct term to use.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Couple of weeks ago I was watching the same thing and it was very near the moon. Has to be brightest star I have seen. It was kind of following the moon underneath, and Im in the northern hemisphere.

So, it was like about two weeks ago and Im still wondering wich star it was? Saw it on two nights before the rains started. Dont know if its stil there.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
its jupiter. keep your eyes peeled for a REALLY bright blue "star" thats suppose to come as a warning to "get ready" for whats coming in december 2012.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Jupiter mate

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Based on just the description it is probably jupiter or mars.
I really recommend that you check stellarium, as that software will show you exactly which one it is.
edit on 19-12-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Going by your general description, and as previous posts have mentioned... it's more than likely Jupiter.

Anyhow, check this out - it may help for future reference.
Stellarium

Peace.

ETA, Kudos to the above poster

edit on 19-12-2011 by Perhaps because: Add credit

edit on 19-12-2011 by Perhaps because: typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Thanks, maybe Jupiter but definitely not Mars, that's on the other side of the sky..

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 1beerplease

Not saying that it is a doom star but the other night I did notice a very bright blu star in the East sky at about 10pm in South Australia. It is not very big but it definitely shines a bright blue. While we are talking about unknown stars, does anyone know which one this is I am referring to also?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hi, Its Jupiter.......

www.nakedeyeplanets.com...
edit on 19-12-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I know whatyou are talking about. I've been wondering the same thing while noticing this star being very bright this year. I used skyview on my iPhone to see what it is and indeed it showed up to be Jupiter. However what is weird is that untill this year I have never seen it so bright and big.

Also I'd like to ask you guys, don't you think that in the recent months the moon appears to be a whole lot bigger than usual? I know I might need glasses but to me recently the moon looks very big.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
Well, I am not great with directions and such.. sorry. But my boyfriend used the compass on his phone and was +- 3 degree off West.. I don't know if that is the correct term to use.

Is it around 15 to 20 degrees in elevation at the moment (just above the western horizon)? It's 21:20 here at the moment, and it's brighter than Jupiter (which is around 50 degrees elevation and NNW).

It is not Venus. The only planet in that vicinity is Neptune.
edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: had wrong time

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

NuclearPaul, I am in Adelaide also but the only bright planet I see over the western horizon is West, not North West, are you in the south or north of Adelaide? I always thought that this planet was Venus as it shows up this bright every summer?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Hi there

I do believe that the object in question is Mars. Not Jupiter. At the moment, Jupiter is setting to the west at dusk, while Mars is rising, ahead of the Moon, to the east.Coincidentally, I was star gazing over the weekend and noticed the red tinged object, I suspected it to be Mars. I confirmed this after double checking with a star-map program.

You should download Stellarium, it's fully free-ware. And a dream to work with after a little fiddling through settings... the most important setting is your location

Hope this helps you.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana
NuclearPaul, I am in Adelaide also but the only bright planet I see over the western horizon is West, not North West, are you in the south or north of Adelaide? I always thought that this planet was Venus as it shows up this bright every summer?

Venus apparently set at 21:07. I am at Golden Grove.
edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimjolnir
I do believe that the object in question is Mars.

Apparently, Mars is due to rise at 23:27. (Where I am).
edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join