It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I just photograph a UFO at the park??? [This is a well known photographic effect and NOT a ufo]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So there I was...

Trying to photograph the sunset and freezing my ears off... I've got to get a hat or some ear muffs... a high and tight is just too cold for winter, not that I can grow my hair out due to the nerosies being in the army instilled...

Anyways... there I was... bored by an unspectacular sunset that didn't get that special glow I was hoping for.. so I turned my camera around and caught this photo...

I took several and I will show some more in a second.

I've been seeing a lot of these "UFO's" on ATS recently... even in some threads that make it to the front page. And as a pro-amature photographer it kinda makes me sad and upset...

This is a well known photographic effect and NOT a ufo... let me illustrate with my next photo... which is NOT a ufo swarm, but it sure helps illustrate what is really going on...

This is lens flare and it is produced by the way the inner optics of the lens work.

All but the simplest cameras contain lenses which are actually comprised of several "lens elements." Lens flare is caused by non-image light which does not pass (refract) directly along its intended path, but instead reflects internally on lens elements any number of times (back and forth) before finally reaching the film or digital sensor.

Although flare is technically caused by internal reflections, this often requires very intense light sources in order to become significant (relative to refracted light). Flare-inducing light sources may include the sun, artificial lighting and even a full moon. Even if the photo itself contains no intense light sources, stray light may still enter the lens if it hits the front element.

source

I included the source of my flare in my photo for illustration purposes... but just because you can't see it doesn't mean the source is not there.

I want to see a good photo of a UFO, I really, really would. But we need to be aware of these type of effects so we don't go jumping to UFO every time we see them.

I really don't understand the psychology of those who try to pose these photos as real.

All it does is muddy the waters for those interested.

ETA for those overly upset by the title:

Did I capture a UFO in the park? No... no I did not. I captured lens flare. And this explains why many people who later "find they captured a UFO" didn't see it at the time...

edit on 18-12-2011 by pianopraze because: emphasis

edit on 18-12-2011 by pianopraze because: over-clarification

Edited title to clearly represent what the topic is about.
edit on December 19th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow, this is informative, thanks.

I'm glad you explained this out. Some people take photos and just don't know this stuff. Or are new to photography.

I for one would have been like "cool" had you not explained. (although it would not necessarily meant I believed it would have been a UFO)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well I geuss you didn't then, why even ? bother

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

To help out all those people so desperate to capture a UFO that they forget to think logically. Well done OP.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

So you made a thread... about a possible UFO... and debunked yourself explaining that it's an optical illusion.?

Kind of redundant, yes?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Nice! I think with your simple but effective description of lens refraction you can remove amateur and just say pro photographer!!

This site could use more education on how cameras work. It would save a lot of time on suspected ufo/ ghost photos!

Thank you

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

I explained in my thread why I bothered.

There are a ton of threads showing up on ats that are obvious lens flare. Some of these go on from pages and pages and even reach the front page of ATS.

I even did an internet search to try to find good explanations of what is going on for illustration purpose of this, and they are sadly lacking. Many say "it's lens flare" but don't explain how or why or show good examples.

I think ATS works to hold the highest standard. I think a thread like this is a great asset so people can refer others to it to explain a concept that many do not understand.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD
Well I geuss you didn't then, why even ? bother

Well maybe it was posted to show ufo believers that an understanding of photography and optics are useful when looking at images.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I see.

The title may throw the reader off.

The title sounds like you have a "serious possibility" on hand. It's failed sarcasm, which in turn brings failed comprehension.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

I was trying for the Socratic method....

Sorry if this spoiled your day.

It's a hard thing to come up with an ATS thread title that will draw people.

I think this is one of the more important subjects in UFO threads here on ATS. A little understanding of what is going on in the internal working of lenses will go a long way towards denying ignorance...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

I think it's a perfectly valid thread title and concept, as clearly defined in the OP.

Also have noticed ( and it's a good thing
) that this Forum can be used more and more for just this idea (or similar). That is, bring something to the table, either as an example of another persons' "questionable" claims, and find reasonable explanations (or not, which is more interesting).

Or, use these prosaic examples as more forms of education, to help others from making simple mis-identifications, and thus have "hopes" raised unnecessarily.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
OP you stated you would show several more "picts." if a few seconds??? But I did not see any more Pics.??? Do you have any more to post?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Thanks OP. This is a very good educational post. S&F for sure.

And I am going to keep this thread handy to link if it become necessary in the future to explain a lens flare. For some reason I think it might. LOL

Well done. Well done indeed!!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBigDuke

Sure thing:

reply to post by subcsailor

TY,
I hope many people will use this thread for reference when refuting lens flare "UFO's" in the future

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the informative thread, hopefully people will take something from this and think before they start a thread with crappy pictures.

Strange why people would have a go at you for putting up such a thread. Mental retardation seems to be contagious around here.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

thread title confuse's thing's a little i think.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

I put a clairification in for you in the OP:

Originally posted by pianopraze
ETA for those overly upset by the title:

Did I capture a UFO in the park? No... no I did not. I captured lens flare. And this explains why many people who later "find they captured a UFO" didn't see it at the time...

Not sure why everyone is so upset by the title... maybe because I'm stepping on a holy cow and pre-debunking hundreds (or thousands) of future ATS threads?

I'm sure many people will come home and upload their photos and wonder, just like my thread titile... "Did I just photograph a UFO at ______ [insert location here]" and hopefully this thread will help.

Sorry for the pre-spoiler. I'd like to see a UFO as much as the next guy

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hey OP,
Hope you don't mind but here is my "Ufo" photo explained.
Figured we could make this an educational thread.
Can't seem to upload to this site so her is the link www.flickr.com...

I posted this on another site as a gag ( never here as I respect this site too much!)
I got kicked off the other site for it, but it shows how with a little know how and a decent camera you can fake a lot of things.
People were jumping all over it, haha.

What you are seeing is a commercial airplane, coming in for approach. My shutter speed was set for 2 seconds and photo was taken around 11pm. I was out that night trying to shoot some stars and meteors and it clouded over so I was playing around with my camera and the planes coming in.
This gives it the cigar ship look with what could be observation windows.
A slow shutter speed allows for the movement of the plane look like one long wingless ship.
One day I will see and hopefully capture a real ufo untill then I will be playing with my camera to help prove or debunk ufo and ghost photos.

edit on 18-12-2011 by PLUMBER1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
It's a hard thing to come up with an ATS thread title that will draw people.

No its not you did...

Deliberately posting a non UFO in the UFO thread with a title asking if its a UFO?

Hmmm seems I recall MANY such threads getting dumped into the HOAX bi9n and the poster getting a vacation

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I made it quite clear in my post.

Never claimed to have a UFO photo. Quite the opposite. Even put it in big bold letters in OP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join