It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my Video streaming not work properly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I don't normally watch vids because I pay per data bundle, meaning that I buy 3 gigs (or so) for the month. Video streaming eats megs like crazy and this is a luxury I have not had since moving back to SA in 2010.

However, I just treated myself to the Christmas special, and bought 20 gigs, so I can treat myself to some vids.

But, for some reason, the vids all get stuck after 10 seconds or so. Even if I push stop, it does not buff at all past this point. Even is I slide the slider into the vid, it will not do it.

Is there something in my Internet settings, Antivirus settings or computer settings that I need to change?

Have a whole pile of vids that would like to now get to, but how frustrating is this??!! Now that I have enough data at my disposal, my laptop does not want to do this.

By the way, this is a very nice laptop with Dolby Home Theater, Virtual Surround Sound, huge graphic card, loads of memory, etc etc.

Any advice?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Of the top of my head the videos could be sticking because you don't have enough bandwidth. What happens if you run speedtest speedtest.net... The other reason for this might be the codecs needed for video decompression might be missing. Try installing 'Firefox' www.mozilla.org... and make sure the Adobe Flash Player pluggin is installed.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Who made your computer?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Greetings fellow S'African

Are you only experiencing this problem with YouTube, or is it with all online streaming?

In the meantime, make sure you update your flash player

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
since you said you pause the video and let it load in advance it should not be an issue with your connection.

its more likely that your computer is busy with a zillion of other things while trying to watch something
normally you do not much care on what programs are simultaneously running, but if issues arise like you discribe i would start looking what i would really need to have running same time i watch the video

to get an impression press CTRL-ALT-DEL to see the task-manager (assuming you are using windows) and see whats going on.
for my computer there are no more than 30 tasks running and i frequently check what new gizmos enter the game from time to time.

To figure which cryptic bunch of software is running (by name) browse the web and figure if its needed.
Don't touch system specific services.
try to close tasks and observe if something does not work anymore.

to permanently get rid of a few things do the following:
click Start -- Run Program -- and type in msconfig at the prompt

this is a manager where you can select out which programs are allowed to start on boot

once cleaned that out a little, should solve the issue

along with that running defrag on the harddrive may help too
and from time to time, if you are often installing and removing programs a registry cleaner can help in gaining better performance too.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

The factory.

It is an Acer.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

Hi! Nice to know you are in my nick of the woods.

Updates are done automatically. Will double check though. Haven't tried any other vids yet. Will check and let ya know.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TMJ1972

Thanks for this input. Everyone.

I am now being dragged off to the lunch table. Rather late than never! Will try all your suggestions later this avie.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Nice to see other SA people here. I live abroad now though.

Anyway, are you streaming from YouTube primarily?

I blame the service itself. I have a 50mb line that pulls at 5mb/s and I routinely have issues loading videos on YouTube. I find sites like Vimeo to be a lot more reliable.

It may be Flash, but I limit my YT usage and don't have problems anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NewDamage

hey da!

Lekker my lallie!

Unfortunately my luck ran out and I am back to very limited data. It was a Vodacom 3G Christmas special that had me happy for about two minutes, R 500 for 20 gigs, now I'm back to R 380 (or something) for 3 gigs.
Not funny dude or dudess, I miss uncapped. Lived in UK and Italy for 10 years with uncapped 24/7 at the price of a good South African meal out.
wow! Africa is a tough country! But still, me luvs it.

When I tried to download iPod software onto my laptop, the streaming is so slow that it looses connection and you neva eva gets theres! Sux. Had to pay a compute shop R600 just to do it for me! Me thinx now the iPod software needs updating (as another ATSer kindly informed me) cause man, Johnny Clegg is singing softer and softer!

Maar die lug is blou en die mense smile en ek is lief vir DIE aarde.

Where are you?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I'm in the UK, been here for nearly 6 years now. Why did you move back? Missed the weather and lifestyle, eh?

I know the internet is tough out there, as far as I know the 3G options are about the best depending on where you live. Telkom is just a joke.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NewDamage

Hahaha! Telkom! you are soooo funny!

No, I never left with the intention of leaving. I went on a 2 week 'holiday' to Northern Ireland, went down to London and one thing lead to the next, got married in Italy, went back to London where our daughter was born in 1999, came back home in 2002, went back to Italy for some more, and now back in SA.

I never left SA. Not as in left left. Big brother is toooo big for me in Europe.
The sky is to streaked and them CCTV on every second pole is too much.
Also, baby had food allergies, especially nuts, and excima in London. Since we back in SA all vanished. She is nuts over nuts second only to a fruit cake!

She used to literally stop breathing, itch and sneeze and swell up if you came close to her with nuts. All that is gone.

There is still a lot of goodness in SA.

Uk is not really child friendly. She loves SA best, then Italy. Fully bi-lingual. English and Italian. Now starting to pick up Die Taal also.

Not to mention the financial stress in Europe at the moment.

edit on 16-1-2012 by UnlimitedSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yeah, in that respect I completely agree, but I did end up living a little in fear when I was still there. South of JHB, lol.

You can beat SA for the climate and scenery, that is certain.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sharkie

Of the top of my head the videos could be sticking because you don't have enough bandwidth. What happens if you run speedtest speedtest.net... The other reason for this might be the codecs needed for video decompression might be missing. Try installing 'Firefox' www.mozilla.org... and make sure the Adobe Flash Player pluggin is installed.

Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
I have run the speed test. This is the result. Do I have enough bandwidth or does this only test the speed of the laptop? Here is my result:

new topics

top topics

join