It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer's Almanac offers its predictions for 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.grit.com...

We learn that in the US, the Almanac does a US forecast, is predicting codler in some areas and warmer in other areas.

The 2012 Farmers’ Almanac calls it “Clime and Punishment,” meaning some parts of the United States will see a very frigid winter, while others can expect lots of rain and snow. The Northern Plains, parts of the Northern Rockies, and the western Great Lakes can expect a very cold winter, while the southern and eastern United States are expected to see above-average temperatures.

The publication predicts a very active storm track, which will bring heavier-than-normal precipitation – in whatever form – from the Southern Plains through Tennessee into Ohio, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast. Depending on what the temperatures are in your area, this weather forecast could mean extra time with salt on your roads, or a messy mudroom when you peel off your coveralls after coming back inside from the rain or mixed precipitation after chopping ice for the cattle.

US version of the Farmers' Almanac 2012 cover.The only areas of the country for which the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac predicts dryer than normal conditions are in the Southwest and the Southeast.

Nothing extreme in their forecast.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Farmers Almanac ... stripes on the wooly bear caterpillars ... how loud the tree buzzers are buzzing (cicadas) ... etc etc All that folksy stuff is fun for predicting the weather. But has anyone ever done a check to see how accurate it all is? Just wondering.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Every once in a while they get lucky but coming from a farming family I can tell u imo we in no way wld ever base our crop season off of the almanac. Here is a copy paste off wiki to show u what I mean.

The Almanac Publishing Company claims readers of the Farmers’ Almanac have attributedan 80to85percent accuracy rate to the publication’s annual forecasts. However independent studies that retrospectively compare the weather with

the predictions have not shown them more accurate than chance. [1]

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I found the Canadian map for the lower half of the prairies. I sit right on the northern border of the section they cover. They don't include the top of the provinces, but they include the territories. Weird. Maybe too unpredictable. Where I am, I usually listen to the Thompson weather report, it's closer in weather than Saskatoon.

www.almanac.com...

Winter temperatures will be 3 to 4 degrees C colder than normal, on average, with the coldest weather periods in early December, mid-January, early to mid-February, and early March.

I don't know what "normal" is. When we moved here, we were told "it's cold, but doesn't snow much". It snowed about 7 feet that year.

The last couple of years have had temps of -30 with windchills below -45.

So far, this year has been nice and mild, and only gone down to -20ish a couple of times. Only a foot of snow too, the least amount in 6 years. Cold is coming next month......

It's hard to tell how accurate it is. The further north you live, the more unpredictable our weather is, and so different from province to province.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Here in Virginia we just send the dog outside. If he comes back wet we know its raining.
I always loved reading the almanac but I don't use it to make plans.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Come to Virginia. We really dont get a lot of snow here. My youngest son was three before he ever saw any.
We get snow just not often and not very much. Last year on Christmas day it snowed. (very very rare to have a white Christmas here) It was late at night but before midnight and I went outside and the snow was just dusting the grassy areas and I said to myself, Well it may not be much but it still counts as a white Christmas. It actually turned out to be a pretty significant storm, 14 inches which is very rare.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that someone has checked the accuracy of the Framer's Almanac. I know they claim 80 to 80% right, but I think those estimates are probably wishful thinking on their part. These folks ahve been in the business of getting it right by chance for a long time.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Here in Virginia we just send the dog outside. If he comes back wet we know its raining.
I always loved reading the almanac but I don't use it to make plans.

Sometimes that's how I find out it's snowing at night, when all the curtains are closed. I let the dog in, and start scrambling around for a towel. He sits out in the snow, and lets it pile up on him. He loves it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Here in Arkansas we cut open Persimmons around October. Each one will have a knife, fork, or spoon inside (shape of the stem running through the fruit), each utensil has a corresponding winter weather prediction...and most of the time, it's usually dead-on. Can't remember what's what though, will have to look that up and get back with you...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So far the Farmer's Almanac is working for me. Then again my personal observation hardly has any bearing on whether their forecast is right. Seems at least 1 prediction for 2012 was right.

About time I think.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Seems that so far the Farmer's Almanac was a bit off because the colder than normal areas did not see that.

Guess the FA is right on target with its previous accuracy in predicting long term conditions.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that flowers are blooming well ahead of the times they normally bloom in our area. For example, lilacs are starting to bloom as are crab apples. These are typical late April blooms. Some magnolia varieties are well ahead of schedule. Red buds are finishing off their incredibly beautiful displays.

Warmer than normal? You betcha. The plants agree as well.

new topics

top topics

join