It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi knights top 15,000 in Czech census

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Seems 15,000 plus in Czechoslovakia would rather live by the morals and teachings of the Jedi Knights than those of the fabled Christ.

www.sbs.com.au...

More than 15,000 Czechs follow the faith of the Star Wars movies' Jedi knights, official census data showed Thursday, while half of the country's 10.5 million people declined to list any religion [\ex]

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Man that's a lot of virgins!

Cool to see so many people identifying with something more sane than Scientology (and a lot of other religions)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I agree. Besides, Jesus never carried a kick *ss light saber.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
it hasn't been Czechoslovakia since 1993 i think its the Czech Republic Funny tho wonder if they were serious ??? in article it said it was added to the ballot so dont know if jedi was an option or an other but great story hahah

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Education must be improving there then.
Lets face it, star wars is quite litreally a hell of a lot more probable then the bible.. Given the size of our universe similar wars are bound to have been fought somewhere
edit on 15-12-2011 by ThrowCatsAtCacti because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

It seems to be spreading quickly!
Jedi census phenomenon
Jediism

¡Ay, caramba!

And good find OP!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
George Lucas was influenced by the work of Joseph Campbell, here's a little background on Joseph Campbell

George Lucas was the first Hollywood filmmaker to credit Campbell's influence. Lucas stated following the release of the first Star Wars film in 1977 that its story was shaped, in part, by ideas described in The Hero with a Thousand Faces and other works of Campbell's. The linkage between Star Wars and Campbell was further reinforced when later reprints of Campbell's book used the image of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker on the cover
en.wikipedia.org...

Joseph Campbell used the classic examples of Jungian archetypes in his writings:

The classic examples of the monomyth relied upon by Campbell and other scholars include the stories of Osiris, Prometheus, the Buddha, Moses, and Christ, although Campbell cites many other classic myths from many cultures which rely upon this basic structure.
en.wikipedia.org...

George Lucas' deliberate use of Campbell's theory of the monomyth in the making of the Star Wars movies is well documented. On the DVD release of the famous colloquy between Campbell and Bill Moyers, filmed at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch and broadcast in 1988 on PBS as The Power of Myth, Campbell and Moyers discussed Lucas's use of The Hero with a Thousand Faces in making his films.[11] Lucas himself discussed how Campbell's work affected his approach to storytelling and film-making.[12]
en.wikipedia.org...

I have always thought there were close parallels between the Starwars trilogy and the book of Genesis. It seemed like George Lucas used Genesis as a blueprint for the Starwars stories..it really doesn't surprise me that the youth of today identify with a modern day "Christ like" figure disguised as a "Jedi" as a more modern version of a "Messiah" just think if we ceased to have organized religion tomorrow or any Bibles..and everyone forgot about any type of church doctrine..but people knew the Starwars stories..in only 1 or 2 generations "Yoda" might be a prophet and "Darth Vader" Satan in a new oral tradition passed from generation to generation..we can see how myth becomes some peoples truth. Interesting thread SnF Cheers Coco
edit on 15-12-2011 by itscocobaby because: forgot something

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
its just like the thousands of write in votes for president in america seem to include
Chuck Norris
King Leonidas
McLovin
Ketchup
Garfield
Frosty the Snowman

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I find their lack of faith disturbing.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My son is a Padawan. He got his certificate and everything. You can get them at Disney World during the summer months. They put on a Jedi clinic and at the end the kids get to fight Darth Vader or Darth Maul. It's pretty awesome. I would have loved to have done that when I was a kid.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
WOW! In Australia we have the same phenomenon

In the 2006 Census 58,053 people listed their religion as Jedi Knight - followers of the mythical Star Wars creed. It's not one of the nine options listed on the Census form. You have to write it in.

www.heraldsun.com.au

I wonder if it happens in other countries as well

How about yours? Stand up and be counted

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
My son is a Padawan. He got his certificate and everything. You can get them at Disney World during the summer months. They put on a Jedi clinic and at the end the kids get to fight Darth Vader or Darth Maul. It's pretty awesome. I would have loved to have done that when I was a kid.

In this video, at Disney World,
a young girl pledges loyalty to Darth Vader.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

LMAO that announcer got PWNED by a 5 year old, esp when she took a knee to Vader
Pure epic

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Mate I gave you a star because even your gun has tin foil

Priceless

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Always been more of A trekkie myself but I did enjoy the first three star wars film.
Love General Grievous and Jabba The Hut. Let's just none of them go the darkside. There's enough problems in this world already without having to worry about being force choked.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Its my entry to the ATS live tin foil hat contest

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Don't get too excited.

In the UK there is like 100,000+ 'Jedi' declared in our Census.

It's just a joke with people.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
As others have stated, it is pretty big here.

I heard a rumour that the Census don't like it because if it reaches a certain number, it can be declared an official religion.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LondonerBLV

It's just a joke with people.

Thats because religion is a joke

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
WOW! In Australia we have the same phenomenon

In the 2006 Census 58,053 people listed their religion as Jedi Knight - followers of the mythical Star Wars creed. It's not one of the nine options listed on the Census form. You have to write it in.

www.heraldsun.com.au

Hmmm. It appears we are losing our faith, Obi Wan!

In Australia more than 70,000 people (0.37%) declared themselves members of the Jedi order in the 2001 census.

en.wikipedia.org...

Let's find out which country has the most Jedis!
UK appears to be the most faithful so far!

edit on 16/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join