It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why No Presents Santa? Because Your Family Is Poor

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

It's Christmas time again and people are running around in circles like chickens with their heads cut off. Too many people all over the world have blindly accepted this holiday as a "time of giving" or the "Spirit of giving", holiday cheer, and accept this as a so called Christian holiday to celebrate the "birth" of Christ. But how many people have actually researched Christmas, or better yet, even thought about what happens during the holidays and what it really promotes?

Think about the poor kids at their schools, seeing all their rich friends and families that are better off, getting all this stuff, all these presents, cool gadgets and what have you. How does that make the poor feel? We tell them there is this magical Santa who just gives and gives to people all over the world, which is just utter nonsense. He only gives to those with money. The more money you have, the more he gives! What a nice guy! It also teaches us to tell our kids a massive lie right from their childhood. But oh wait, this lie is ok! It's just for fun, let them enjoy the lies!

Christmas is about a time of promoting materialism, consumerism and giving people a bunch of worthless crap that does absolutely nothing for the collective, nor the individual. Well, it does do something, it corrupts. We give our daughters Barbie dolls that sexualize them from a young age. Our sons get military toys to prepare them to join and fight in senseless wars in their future. We use 'innocent' material objects to make it look cool and acceptable, or 'fun'. We pervert their minds that material goods are the way to happiness. Kids cry in anguish if they don't receive the toys they got. These worthless material objects just so happen to have a major psychological effect on people's minds. This is not healthy. All one has to do is look at the sheer insanity that takes place on Black Friday to prove this point.

The fact is, christmas promotes the spirit of selfishness, materialism and lies. It warps the minds of youth and we continue to perpetuate this lie over, and over, and over, without ever really questioning where this all came from and the true purpose it serves. I know this will upset some people, but it's the truth. It is another battering ram used against the poor in the world. This does not speak on the behalf of everyone, as there are SOME people who do good deeds, but Christmas time should not be the provocateur of doing good, we should always try to do good. I am speaking as a collective, as a whole, of what this so called holiday promotes. What I say represents probably at least 90% of the people who celebrate it. I will do my part one day when I have kids and make sure they are well aware of this horrific lie from the get go, you should too.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What about birthdays? Are they ok?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
for my work secret santa im going to give a present that costs £0 this time. not because im a prick...but because why should christmas be about giving presents that cost lots of money

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Great thread and all 100% true..
I find the main excuse that its 'just a bit of fun' crazy because yes for the adults it is but for children it becomes a false reality because they dont know any better.
Just because something is fun doesnt mean it is in the long term positive.
Organisms adapt to their environment, and the false reality we give them would teach them to feel entitled and more likely to believe in religions. Esentially christmas is just an advertising stunt for religion and it helps to make new generations adatable and to extend their acception of fairy tales as reality.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

At christmas time, I always go to soup kitchens and slap the food out of all the poor folks hands. Why should they get to eat for free when my foie gras and beluga caviar costs such exorbitant amounts of the money I work so hard for.

christmas doesn't promote materialism, our society promotes materialism.
edit on 12/14/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This might seem strange kind of attitude towards Christmas, and although I agree with most of what you said, for most, it's not about "Christmas" or presents or materialism; it's about family.

At least in my house it is. And sure we do presents, but that's because it's cultural norm, not because of any religious views or that we think we are better than most.

It's insane to stop doing something just because there are less fortunate folk out there who do not have the opportunity. There will always be those who are less fortunate, the poor will always be there. We can try and help them, I sure do through various charities and local events.

However to stop your lives and drop National Traditions for the sake of helping them won't help them.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
Let's see..." I take you as a glass is half empty kind of fella."

Christmas and Santa Claus are wonderful things and events and figures to enjoy. The poor will always be with us, and it is up to all of us to try and impact their lives in positive fashion.

Our family tries to help people all year long, and especially at Christmas. There are many, many people that likewise try to help those that are not as fortunate... and we do so in many ways.

Firewood, food, toys, donations, money, visits, encouraging words, food banks, local charities...and so on.

My parents grew up poor.... dirt poor during the Great Depression and WWII... and they learned to appreciate the simple things as well as the material... a new pair of shoes were highly values, a toy or whistle or doll was a rarity, most often it was fruit, hard candy, and even kerosene and lamp oil.

We just got together last Saturday night as a family... and my aunts and uncles, my mom and dad.. all of them remember the important thing was they were a family... that they had food... they were together... and they remember having fun and traditions...

Christmas and Santa are not a lie... they are an opportunity to make them very real to someone that is struggling and a family facing hardship.

Every year we try to help someone...last year we had a family that was borderline destitute share Christmas with us... and all their kids got toys and clothes and shoes...

This year, we are thinking of Christmas caroling... and taking boxes of food and simple toys to some of the homes in our community that are struggling.

Now, instead of decrying the injustice and lie of Santa Claus... what will you do to make Christmas real for someone?

link   
I agree, isn't the Christmas holiday a pagan holiday? At least from what I hear it is, and your right it does represent materialism. Indeed kids all over the country go to school thinking.... " Why did they get all of the cool stuff while I was left with hardly anything?" As a child I was blessed to catch my parents in the act of lying about santa, and thats exactly a part of the senerio too.. lies. You lie to your children about getting excited about something that doesn't exists? Yeah makes allot of sense doesn't it? I'm somewhat appalled by some of the holidays we have, and yes people can criticize me for not wanting to pressure my kids into believing in fairy tales but the fact of the matter is I do not want my kids growing up believing some retarded notion of what a true holiday is supposed to mean.

link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
At christmas time, I always go to soup kitchens and slap the food out of all the poor folks hands. Why should they get to eat for free when my foie gras and beluga caviar costs such exorbitant amounts of the money I work so hard for.
Amen, we are the 1%.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
You mean Santa doesnt exist, then who fills my stocking?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

christmas doesn't promote materialism, our society promotes materialism.
edit on 12/14/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

I 100% agree. Christmas just puts a huge underscore to it and feeds the beast it's annual feast.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

This might seem strange kind of attitude towards Christmas, and although I agree with most of what you said, for most, it's not about "Christmas" or presents or materialism; it's about family.

At least in my house it is. And sure we do presents, but that's because it's cultural norm, not because of any religious views or that we think we are better than most.

It's insane to stop doing something just because there are less fortunate folk out there who do not have the opportunity. There will always be those who are less fortunate, the poor will always be there. We can try and help them, I sure do through various charities and local events.

However to stop your lives and drop National Traditions for the sake of helping them won't help them.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Unforgivably, materialism is exactly what it has changed into. It no longer represents family and values. Maybe it started out as something good or maybe it didn't... maybe its all a hoax and just another resource in which control can be applied.. Yes control.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by causeimalive

Propaganda and control can only work if you aren't aware of it's programming. Being able to see and rise above it however means that such things aren't able to do the things they were meant to do.

We celebrate our family and the joys of being all together under one room for a week a year. It just so happens to be at Christmas. We do the same thing in the summer; am I suppose to forgo my family events because of the unfortunate?

How exactly would that help them?

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I wouldn't say stop X-Mas because some people don't get what you do, instead I would say look at the lies we fill our childrens heads with.. and why? Not only that it does seem to be a holiday in which the big corps really enjoy and look forward to each year. We have people pepper spraying and trampling people on black friday just to get that X-Box controller for 30% off. If Christmas stood for nothing than family values and ties I would have no bitch or beef with X-mas. However, I feel ashamed when I tell my little girl that santa is coming. WTF. The true (if ever) values of Christmas are gone. Its not the small family that passes out gifts and celebrates one another anymore, its the conglomerates reaping cold hard cash off of the familys that do the celebrating..... just one step closer.

Oh and most are oblivious to the fact that anything is happening. Its time to wake up people!! lol thank mod I agree.
edit on 14-12-2011 by causeimalive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You must have missed the part where I excluded the very, VERY few people who do what you do. I am in no way attacking the bringing together of families or those who truly do good deeds, with or without a holiday to motivate one to do so. The point is to quit promoting the lies, useless materialism and selfishness. Shall I post news links where people are stampeded to death because someone wants to save $30 on an Xbox?

You said Christmas and Santa is not a lie. How is that true if it is not a lie? The story of Santa is one of the biggest lies circulating society today, there isn't much argument for that. So is the story of Christmas, it's rooted in Paganism.

That aside, I commend you for what you do for society. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority do not do what you do, nor would they, my friend.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
So often, we affirm the idea that..."We create our own reality."

That being said, why do so many here seem so jaded by the world. If you are turned off by how the world and Christmas has devolved into materialism, why not "retake" Christmas and turn it into a time of giving, joy, reflection, celebration?

Even if you do not believe in Christ, Christmas, the spirit of christmas...is it not conceivable that you could turn it into an annual tradition of giving and celebration with family?

Could we not make it into our own reality?

I was told of Santa, as were millions of kids from my generation...and finding out Santa was not a real figure did not turn me into an axe murderer or a jaded selfish Scrooge... It reminded me that Santa lives and is all of us... the true spirit of the original St.Nicholaus... to give to those less fortunate and by giving a blessing, we are in turn blessed.

I have been hungry, lived in a barn, and had to go to an outhouse to piss... but at Xmas, I still decorated...went and cut down my own tree and decorated it... and made my own gifts to hand out.... and I had fun, shared some good memories, and there are things I do now as tradition that I started back then.

Make your own reality... make your own Christmas...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by causeimalive

Oh well it that sense I agree.

My kids were never told about Santa Clause. We didn't sugar coat them growing up. We were real with them. When they asked why Santa didn't come to see them, we told them he didn't exist and sat down and explained the progression of the world and how it use to be a Harvest Festival.

My kids are much happier for it now, although it made them sad when they were kids to some degree and the other kids at school didn't appreciate having their rose colored glasses removed for a second.

IMO it's about education. I'm in total agreement that people go absolutely mental and that it's a giant corporate fundraiser year after year. I try to by local or make all of our gifts; it's more personal that way and I feel like I'm not supporting the overall madness.

But I can't in all good consciousness stop doing things that we love, as a family because of the actions of the rest of the population.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by causeimalive

I wouldn't say stop X-Mas because some people don't get what you do, instead I would say look at the lies we fill our childrens heads with.. and why? Not only that it does seem to be a holiday in which the big corps really enjoy and look forward to each year. We have people pepper spraying and trampling people on black friday just to get that X-Box controller for 30% off. If Christmas stood for nothing than family values and ties I would have no bitch or beef with X-mas. However, I feel ashamed when I tell my little girl that santa is coming. WTF. The true (if ever) values of Christmas are gone. Its not the small family that passes out gifts and celebrates one another anymore, its the conglomerates reaping cold hard cash off of the familys that do the celebrating..... just one step closer.

Oh and most are oblivious to the fact that anything is happening. Its time to wake up people!! lol thank mod I agree.
edit on 14-12-2011 by causeimalive because: (no reason given)

Exactly! I wouldn't have even thought to type this thread or complained about Christmas if it in any way represented what some people are saying it represents. We need to get real with ourselves. That's why I said I am speaking on behalf of the overwhelming majority of what this holiday has become. There are very few who celebrate in the manner that some of the other posters do.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Bingo, very well said my friend.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I agree, a large portion of the world is materialistic... but there are a lot more loving, caring, and generous people than you may think. I do not know where you live or what kind of life you have, but you are missing a wonderful world and some realy wonderful people... and somehow missing a lot of love.

Out where we live, people still go out caroling...we go out and take boxes of food to the needy, we go and visit resthomes and invalid folks, we go visiting and gift giving... not big ol plasma TVs.. but often pies and cakes... a platter of ham bisquits is highly prized. I made some birdhouses today to give away.

we get together to worship and enjoy the Christmas play and the nativity story. Our church even has a live nativity with animals... and many, many people come and drive through to enjoy the scenes.... and then we share hot chocolate and some goodies the ladies bake.

About 10 minutes from my house, a community gets together and has a Xmas parade...now there is only a country store there, a church, a garage, and about 3-4 houses... but by 2pm... there are literally thousands of people there... local groups sell hotdogs, sell raffle tickets to win hams, hand made quilts, a shotgun, and the parade lasts about 2 hours...we have an ugly truck contests, and also have about 300 horses and wagons in the parade... a real slice of Americana.

And the churches and local groups also donate loads of firewood, make home repairs, and one church gives away over a hundred turkey dinners..

My point is there are many loving, caring, generous people that celebrate the spirit of Xmas... I hope you get to meet some of us one day.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join