It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN calls for action on Syria in 'name of humanity'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

UN chief Ban Ki-moon urged world powers on Wednesday to act "in the name of humanity" against the Syrian crackdown on protesters, as activists said Syrian forces killed another 21 civilians.

"In Syria, more than 5,000 people are dead," the UN secretary general told a news conference in New York. "This cannot go on. In the name of humanity, it is time for the international community to act."

Looks like the UN is again asking for "action" against Syria. The article dosent say what the "action" actually is. More sanctions? Yea, problably. I highly doubt there will a no-fly zone, or military action, because if they really wanted to do it, they already would have in my opinion.

Ban said he had sent a UN Human Rights Council report on President Bashar al-Assad's crackdown to the Security Council, which could increase pressure on the body to act.

He said the report, which highlighted that crimes against humanity may have been committed in Syria, had also been sent to the UN General Assembly and that it was now up to member states to take a decision.

How long will it take for them to make a decision? Im guessing atleast a few days. Whatever comes out of it, Im going to guess China and Russia will veto it again.
edit on 14-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The only reason there isn't any military action or a no fly zone is because of the fear of a Russian/Chinese backlash.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
When will the people call for action on the UN "in the name of humanity"?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
its funny, all the folk that say the west is meddling in syrian affairs etc etc , thousands are dead - regardless of who is to blame. Intervention is required NOW, in one form or another. f"*k russia.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

Who says 5000+ are dead? Who's counting?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

i guess thats true - different numbers depending on which is your news outlet of choice. However i dont beleive the numbers to be too over exaggerated - not really possible to fudge the overall figures too much with so many mainstream / alternative sources reporting the the same events

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

True but we are only getting numbers from sources inside Syria which are the activists. So we are getting one sided information.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by discostu123
its funny, all the folk that say the west is meddling in syrian affairs etc etc , thousands are dead - regardless of who is to blame. Intervention is required NOW, in one form or another. f"*k russia.

Why is intervention required?
Let people take control of their own countries and let people power remove them, not foreign military.

Countries stepping in and helping is what has caused these ***** fights to begin with.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

if you were watching people in your country, friends and loved ones being murdered on a daily basis - wouldnt you want someone to step in?

whilst i dont agree with many of the wests policies, i think too many are too quick to throw the 'world police' term around. The fact is that there are many places that need policing! and as the richest, most powerful nations on earth we have a duty to protect innocent people. And yes, i do realise that the level of hypocrisy in where we intervene is obvious, it is, at times a necessary evil.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

thats not true, figures come from many sources - amnesty int etc. I understand how much our msm pervert the situation in certain areas, but you simply cant get away from the fact that whats happening there (and many other places) need intervention on some level from ALL of the international community

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

but the call was for the UN and not the US to step in, are you saying that the US is the UN?
as far as a duty being the richest and most powerful? more like corrupt and bankrupt,
So no I wouldn't want the mafia to step in to save my family, it would mean I owe them for their help.
I would expect freinds and family to step in and help and then get support of my neighbours and let the ground swell continue

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If NATO, the UN, or anything involving the US does anything in Syria, the Chinese and Russians will unleash an economic war on the US that will devestate the country.

All they have to do is start dumping billions of dollars in bonds and holdings on the market and the dust from the ensuing mushroom cloud from the US economic implosion will take decades to settle and there won't be a dime to spend on BBs for an air gun let alone jet fuel, cruise missiles and combat boots.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

thats a nice thought but how would you and your loved ones fight the army?! I know i dont have access to tanks and RPG's!

In all seriousness though I do see where you're coming from and I actually believe there is most certainly a diplomatic solution to all these problems but sadly our fearless leaders being what they are that prospect is becoming increasingly unlikely!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If NATO, the UN, or anything involving the US does anything in Syria, the Chinese and Russians will unleash an economic war on the US that will devestate the country.
reply to post by GoalPoster

thats what people who spend too much time on sites like this think - whilst i can see why people would think that the truth is China NEEDS the west - why would you bite the hand that feeds? waaaay too much to lose.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I know what you mean, but if they weigh their options and the west is so important, why are they even going to bother lifting a big toe, let alone their weapons, over Syria?

What's this all about if the west is their bread-n-butter?

Why are they even bothering?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

But if there's any chance they can destroy the US as a world power, I'm sure they wouldn't mind the losses.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Funny how we are hearing about action on Syria "in the name of humanity" but how many died in Rwanda, the Sudan, and several other less strategically placed countries...I guess all that wholesale slaughter was humane.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

if we go ahead with a no fly zone over syria (hate that phrase) China will do nothing but make a few noises - same goes for Russia. I know many on this site and others seem to think that they will jump to Syria's defense and go to war with west, never gonna happen!

All russia has is nukes, and nuclear war is something NO nation on earth wants, and as for China - people talk of their booming economy and new superpower status. They only look good because they have grown so fast, and that growth is because of the West funding it - without us they have nothing. They dont have a self sustaining economy (maybe in 50 years, but not yet)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

World War Three here we come.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Is it possible that these people who need "humanitarian intervention" so badly are not merely protesters (peaceful or otherwise) and are in fact very militant.
Is it possible that they do not represent the will of the massess - not even remotely?

There appears to be very little "innocent bystanding" going on here.
They are armed insurrectionists - or terrorists as far as the Syrian govt is concerned.
There is nothing peaceful about how they are going about their agenda and they should not be treated like they are some "holier than thou" faction.

What might happen if the Syrian army simply laid down their arms and stopped fighting as western media and institutions are saying they must?
Would the killing stop?

Nobody can claim the right to overthrow a government without a fight - this is not rational.
If they want to overthrow the government using violence - as they are clearly demonstrating - then they must attempt to do so and they must bear the consequences for their actions should they not be able to get the job done.
Innocent civilians? That's for your conscience and your intuition to decide unless you've already had your mind made up for you.

In light of the things I have just said, I would also postulate that it now appears that there is an official "cookie-cutter" strategic plan which seemingly makes it trivial to draw international intervention and firepower into a conflict where it has no right to be.
It will probably be used until it is no longer effective.
Love and light.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join