It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to get pregnant in today's world?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
So, with the state of affairs we have today, we see things look grim. And, we see how things have progressed (or slipped) to this point from the past. The future looks like it will be "more of the same" and that is quite a bad outlook. With that in mind, if parents desire a healthy child who can look forward to life, is today's world a bad choice?

Maybe I'm too cynical or just not a fighter enough to accept today's society, but I would never bring any child into the world as it is now. I see things staying as they are or getting worse, and I wouldn't know how to shield that child from the world. Maybe I'd have a different view if I were very affluent, where at least maybe then I could ensure good care could be afforded for him/her.

There seem to be a lot of people who have children without even thinking of what it will be like years from now. Don't they have a sense of how things are set up? I don't see how they can be happy without TV, music, and/or addictive drugs or food. Isn't that what the majority of people at the bottom 'have'? (Or religion, should be added too.)

It seems to me that you really have to be tuned out to a large part of the world at large in order to be optimistic or sane today. The things I just listed certainly accomplish that, but at the expense of an accurate picture of the world.

Then there's the issue that there are so many of us "at the bottom" that we become cheap. The more of us there are, the more desperate we all become for the resources (jobs). If there is always someone else who wouldn't mind working for much less than you, then that undercuts your potential wages. We see this happening with our jobs being shipped overseas to very poor countries. How are things going to improve if we're all at the mercy of corporations who are setting up across the globe?

If we all by some superhuman feat were able to have absolutely no children for a certain period of time, we would effectively screw the corporations because they would not have a working force. The empire would collapse unless they forced pregnancies somehow or cloned humans. You don't think they'd put their own children to work at the menial jobs we do, do you?

I hear people talking about depopulation as if it's a bad thing, and in the context of certain ways of achieving that, it is. (Lots of people have horrific scenes in their heads when they hear the word...) But, aren't we just even more cheap and disposable if there are so many "extra" of us around? If every poor person on Earth agreed not to have children in order to protect them from being a cheap laborer for the rest of their life, wouldn't we be better off? It would only work if almost everyone did it. (That will never happen, so this is just hypothetical.)

Don't people who are specialized and few in number have better bargaining options and get better benefits? Maybe the reason we are treated so badly is because we have lost our ability to bargain because there is always someone else more desperate who will fill the position. Therefore, if there were fewer of us, there would be fewer desperate people, no?

I really digress here a bit, but the main question is, Do you believe it is hurtful to be born a child of the average person, unless to be oblivious to the world around you using the options available to you mentioned earlier?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Matthew 24:19.
Woe unto them that give suck.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
So, with the state of affairs we have today, we see things look grim. And, we see how things have progressed (or slipped) to this point from the past. The future looks like it will be "more of the same" and that is quite a bad outlook. With that in mind, if parents desire a healthy child who can look forward to life, is today's world a bad choice?

Maybe I'm too cynical or just not a fighter enough to accept today's society, but I would never bring any child into the world as it is now. I see things staying as they are or getting worse, and I wouldn't know how to shield that child from the world. Maybe I'd have a different view if I were very affluent, where at least maybe then I could ensure good care could be afforded for him/her.

MLTR - sleeping child.. It's a good song..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Dear daynight42,

Each person is unique and every life has value on it's own. Every generation is challenged and yet, which generation other than ours do you think should not have had children? I am a Christian, if I believed that these were the end times I would still give the same advice. Live your life as your life, have children if that is what you wish, take care of them if you do. Children offer hope. I look at the young people, I am in my early 50s, who are sleeping out on public spaces just to be heard and I have hope. Each generation deserves their chance to have children and enjoy a family and whatever good they can find in this world. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

I really digress here a bit, but the main question is, Do you believe it is hurtful to be born a child of the average person, unless to be oblivious to the world around you using the options available to you mentioned earlier?

Good thread, and very good question.

The problem though is that if people who are intelligent enough to question the logic of having children now persist at not having children - we will have a situation in our near future similar to the one that the movie "Idiocracy" showcased.

The people who do not give a rat's-ass about the future of the planet or that of their own children are the ones who keep procreating like a bunch of rabbits.

I have also made the decision not to have kids. I am too worried for their future sakes - and I am worried about my own ability to truly provide for them. Perhaps my opinion about this matter will change in due course.

I can say this though - the "lack of means" actually means nothing. It comes down to the loyalty of the parent to the child - the steadfast dedication and devotion to its education and its character. A responsible and good parent means much more to a child than all the money and means in the world - because (in my experience anyways), such a parent provides much more security than can be measured in worldly means.

I can only imagine how the lack of such parenting can make for a very bleak childhood.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I too share your thoughts and wonder at all the Children in the world who will never know security - some will never know who there parents were. I am a Teacher and I see Children come to school purely because they are forced to - one by their parents and two by the governments who force the parents.

Students come to school and struggle to focus - to learn - to participate - to even try - it's as if they know they have been born into the world at a very difficult time.

I realise many people will say that having Children is the most beautiful and fulfilling and rewarding experience - you will get no argument from me. I am sure it is the most amazing experience however I think beyond that and think of the Child. I chose at fifteen years of age to never have Children and I am much much older and have no regrets. As a matter of fact Students of this generation have told me they do not want Children.

Looking at society I ask myself - how safe will my Child be when I am not around - how safe will my Child be when I am not there to guide and be available for questions? If I knew without reservation that every Child was safe without me - in every conceivable situation - then I would no doubt want to create a family. Factor in my situation - I have no medical history nor do I have a cultural history. I was born an orphan and the Catholic church combined with the government of the day decided I had no rights - I still have no rights. How could I allow myself to become pregnant without knowing my medical history. Playing russian roulette with an unborn Child is not my right.

Many of you will no doubt shoot me down in flames - I am okay with that - I respect that others will always have their opinion based on their life experience. Tonight there will be thousands possibly millions of Children sleeping on the street - there will be thousands possibly millions sexually and physically abused at the hands of deeply damaged humans - there will be thousands possibly millions who will be hungry and many of them will starve to death.

As business increases along with technology we see more machines in use - where does that help the Children who will be entering the workforce shortly? How does more machines for more productivity and less human help equal employment - let alone equal employment opportunity? I care that Children come to school wondering whether their future will be the one they dreamed of or the one that will be offered them...

One starving Child is one too many and one Child on the street is one too many. OP you have shown courage to broach this subject and it will be interesting to see the thoughts and opinions of others. There is one thing I know and that is Children should always come first - so we should ask what kind of world are we giving them before we bring them in and expect them to be happy.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
There is no way I could bring a child into the world today, I would be leaving them with a country and a world that is by and large worse off than it was when I was born. The idea generally is to leave things a little better than you found found them however my generation has done nothing of the sort and shows zero sign of changing anytime soon. Why would I want a child of mine to grow up in an education system that doesn't educate, go on to work in a nation where jobs are outsourced whenever possible or eliminated completely and eventually allow them to grow old in a place that generally stuffs its elderly away in prisons to spend the remainder of their days medicated to the eyeballs. Heck after thinking about it I'm not sure I even like living in the world as it stands now, so I most certainly would feel terrible to have a kid of mine grow up here.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is the absolute most appropriate time to propagate.

Fill your child's mind with truth, love and a vision of a beautiful world. At some point, the point at which they ask you the question, "daddy why is this fair?" Explain to them, sometimes the world can show you ugly, but this is how you defeat it.....

Show them how to revolutionize and innovate the world around them. Plant the seed of interest, and nurture it.
edit on 12-12-2011 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

I love and support your optimism but the opportunities have to be available. As long as the cabal/illuminati/whatever are in control the Children will only have what is offered to them. I am not being defeatist - just real and pragmatic.

We have Children being born with intolerances to all manner of food and textiles and even unable to breathe the air. Surely we should try to heal the Earth before we expect Children to live in the damage that is here. You would not feed your dinner guests on unwashed plates and dirty cutlery - why should Children be expected to live on a polluted and radiated planet?

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Is life really so super hard for some of you guys? Grow up and quit whining. You are alive in the best time in history with so little want it makes me want to scream at you. The world has never been perfect, but stop with the histrionics.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I would be very happy to stop with the histrionics as you put it - if I did not know that many humans are suffering when there is plenty for everyone. There are Children being born who will never know happiness - never know a full stomach - never know a day without bombs and guns and death outside their front door.

I do not see it as histrionics I see it as caring about other people. I care that others will not experience peace or security or a happy life filled with opportunity and laughter and support in every way. Anyone who does not spare even a thought for a stranger on the other side of the world is a very sad and isolated person.

Much Peace...for everyone, everywhere...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

So go over there and help them. Sell you computer, cancel the internet and send the money. You having a kid isn't going to change anything and I was not referring to you caring about others, rather statements like this:

Students come to school and struggle to focus - to learn - to participate - to even try - it's as if they know they have been born into the world at a very difficult time.

Best time in the history of mankind. Sure, if you're living in Africa or some third world hell hole I can understand the bellyaching but seriously, you are on the internet, complaining life is rough. It's pathetic.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

Yes. Certainly. That is why I thought it was important to make it clear that it was hypothetical. I think we may be doomed as a species if we judge the actions of most people. So many are content to just take what little they are offered and live in a fantasy world created for them. I say, what I have endured is enough for me, and I wouldn't put someone else through it given the choice. The very powerful few have taken over, and I refuse to 'donate a child' to their pool of workers. Sure this reflects on my own ability to raise a better child, and I see that. I have to a degree some of the same problems my parents do, and I'm sure it would be passed down if I were to try to have any children; so, it must end here with me. I think it's the responsible thing to do. I view it as a sort of eugenics, because there are certain problems that run in my family, and somehow despite these known problems, nobody stops to say, Hey, this is harmful to me; it certainly will be to my kids.

I'm talking about mental illness -- the kind that affects a parents ability to raise kids, and the kind that can be passed on to kids. Am I saying that schizophrenics and bipolar types should not have kids? Should a partially blind man be allowed to fly a plane? It only makes sense to say that those who are suited to do things well, should do those. If you can't do the job well, leave it to someone else who can. Especially this is the case if you are taking someone else's life in your hands. None of us would hire a known mentally ill person to babysit our kids, so why have a different attitude when it comes to parents? It's even worse in the case of a parent because it's full-time responsibility. But, if you try to tell most people this, they might say it's "their right." Maybe so, but should you? It's like they have kids because it's an extension of their childhood. It's "fun" or that having a child is like playing the lotttery -- "maybe mine will be the next so-and-so." Just gross negligence in my opinion.

-----

I read the other replies. Thanks for responding, to those who did. I will check back again tomorrow to reply more.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The first step is to understand that there is an opportunity for each and everyone of us.

People survive on instinct. Humans are very adaptive to the world around us, give yourself some credit. The world won't fall to pieces if we don't allow it. If we don't have kids, and teach them what principles to live by, then who will? Don't ever give up, don't ever give in.

Im about to be a new father, and I struggle everyday. Life is tough. My father died in 07' and something that he used to tell me is "anything worth doing, should always be a challenge".

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Jeez, if we all took this pathetic attitude there would be none of us here to begin with. I don't know why some of us seem bitter to the fact we are born at all. There have been far more turbulant periods in the past that could attempt to give this theory some merit, 2 world wars, the cold war, the plague, etc....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

I too share your thoughts and wonder at all the Children in the world who will never know security - some will never know who there parents were. I am a Teacher and I see Children come to school purely because they are forced to - one by their parents and two by the governments who force the parents.

I realise many people will say that having Children is the most beautiful and fulfilling and rewarding experience - you will get no argument from me. I am sure it is the most amazing experience however I think beyond that and think of the Child. I chose at fifteen years of age to never have Children and I am much much older and have no regrets. As a matter of fact Students of this generation have told me they do not want Children.

Looking at society I ask myself - how safe will my Child be when I am not around - how safe will my Child be when I am not there to guide and be available for questions? If I knew without reservation that every Child was safe without me - in every conceivable situation - then I would no doubt want to create a family. Factor in my situation - I have no medical history nor do I have a cultural history. I was born an orphan and the Catholic church combined with the government of the day decided I had no rights - I still have no rights. How could I allow myself to become pregnant without knowing my medical history. Playing russian roulette with an unborn Child is not my right.

Many of you will no doubt shoot me down in flames - I am okay with that - I respect that others will always have their opinion based on their life experience. Tonight there will be thousands possibly millions of Children sleeping on the street - there will be thousands possibly millions sexually and physically abused at the hands of deeply damaged humans - there will be thousands possibly millions who will be hungry and many of them will starve to death.

As business increases along with technology we see more machines in use - where does that help the Children who will be entering the workforce shortly? How does more machines for more productivity and less human help equal employment - let alone equal employment opportunity? I care that Children come to school wondering whether their future will be the one they dreamed of or the one that will be offered them...

One starving Child is one too many and one Child on the street is one too many. OP you have shown courage to broach this subject and it will be interesting to see the thoughts and opinions of others. There is one thing I know and that is Children should always come first - so we should ask what kind of world are we giving them before we bring them in and expect them to be happy.

Much Peace...

I am very open minded about this matter and agree with some of your opinion... If you think you are unable to raise and protect your kids why bother? Yeah things are pretty mess up as you said... I still have hope of one day having kids if condition and circumstance allowed me to do so. Cheers

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelion

I am very open minded about this matter and agree with some of your opinion... If you think you are unable to raise and protect your kids why bother?

I agree with that. I hate to say this but poor people probably shouldn't have kids, same with people with serious medical issues etc.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
If you don't- 'They' win, If you do- 'They' lose.

Simple as that.

Just educate your kids, eventually their grandchildren will retake the world. THIS is what TPTB fears. They will be happy if there are no future generations to fight them, and they would dearly love you to believe you shouldn't bring children into the world, you useful idiot.

I personally despise people who say children shouldn't be brought into the world because of the way things are.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Things have always been this bad, and moreover they have been much worse. Yet people still keep popping them out. I think people shouldn't have them anyway just because i don't like them personally but nothing to do with how the world is today.

I'm sure in the days of the plague, the witch trials, potatoe famine or any other time of woe, people still kept dropping the wee ones.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I don't think it's wrong to contemplate this at all in this day and age. However, I personally don't believe that the world is any worst today than it was before, only now, the bad is more exposed because of media coverage, but that is a rant for another time. I have contemplated having kids and came to the decision that while it's a beautiful thing to bring a child into the world, there are more children who is in need of a home; so therefore, should I decide upon the decision to bring a child into my home, I will adopt and that is a personal decision.

On the topic of being pregnant in this period of time, I think a lot of people might underestimating young people. As I've said before, the world today is no different than before, it only seems that way because of the images on TV. The generation Y's and baby boomers grew up during times of war, wasn't it a bad time to be pregnant then because people were being drafted into the army? I think sometimes what is more contemplated than the state of the world today by the individuals in question are their progress in life. Are they ready to settle down and have kids? Are they financially successful enough to be able to put time aside to take care of their kids?

In the end, I also agree that what matters more is the parenting that is put into caring for the child. Even then when the child comes back asking you why is it fair that someone got what they did not deserve, you can only let the fruits of your labor grow and see how that child deals with that ordeal in their life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join