It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitter on amendment No. 1274

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So we were chatting with Sen. David Vitter over concerns we had with the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2012 (S.1867), amendment No. 1274. I decided to share this conversation as my first post. It gives a rather nice insight to the direction the Gov is heading and his mindset.

The U.S. Senate recently passed the National Defense Authorization Act that included language to address the handling of terrorists and enemy belligerents detained by the United States. Over recent years, there have been several proposals, including the Terrorist Detainees Procedures Act, which would grant those detained as enemy belligerents for suspected terrorist acts against the United States the rights and privileges of American citizens. I do not believe enemy belligerents have constitutional privileges, including access to federal courts to question our military authority and control.

He openly does not believe that "enemy belligerents" get protection under the bill of rights, "including access to federal courts to question our military authority and control" This is setting a very scary precedent If you remember it was the Enemy Belligerent Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010 that allowed the detention of an unprivileged enemy belligerent without criminal charges or trial for the duration of hostilities. Essentially American citizens are now labeled "enemy belligerents"

And it is no longer "all men are created equal" it is "all Americans who are not belligerent are created equal until we say otherwise."

"I supported the FY12 defense bill because I have great concerns about the possibility of allowing into the United States individuals who were and will likely remain a threat to our homeland security. I believe the safety and security of our country depends upon allowing the military to pursue options to maintain our security, including detaining and interrogating terrorists. "

Why travel halfway across the world to imprison "read detain" people never charged with a crime only to fly them back here and "allowing into the United States"... I know. It is because there is no oversight in what you do here with the prisoners. you know the whole Spanish inquisition torture thing... torture someone until they lie and confess to something just to stop the pain.

The Obama Administration has effectively created a false choice for dealing with terrorists captured overseas: either bring them to the United States to be given the full constitutional rights available to U.S. citizens in our civilian court system or release them to return to the fight against the United States. The detainee provisions of the FY12 defense bill (S. 1867), which were unanimously passed by the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee, would address this issue. Critics have launched several misleading arguments against these provisions.

Yes blame Obama (If you don't know by now I am a republican and support Ron Paul), but dangit not everything is Obama's fault. It is the senate's and congress' fault for allowing these kinds of things and not representing the will of the people.

However, the practice of holding captured terrorists in military detention is based in long historical practice, even back to George Washington, and the provisions in the 2012 defense bill are supported by Supreme Court precedent, past practice, and common sense. Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the U.S. Senate considers legislation affecting the Guantanamo detainees.

Much like those Japanese American citizens oops I mean enemy belligerents *wink* were held in prisons, and yes I am sure you will keep this in mind the next time you vote.

So there you have it Louisiana. The man that is representing your will. Every time he votes on an issue in the senate he is saying "This is what the people of my state want because they put me here."

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I 100% back up your observations/views as well as your choice for our next president however, I do remember reading that Louisiana recently voted to make cash transactions for used goods illegal. I would not expect much from a state that could actually get that law passed....

Just sayin....

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It is sad to because we are 1 of only 18 states that allow the recall of senators.

The apathy down here is insane.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well to be honest, I don't believe that terrorists should be given anything more than basic human rights, BUT the problem lies in the fact that someone cannot be proven to be a terrorist without a trial, and THAT is why we must offer them one.

The government has made way to many mistakes in the past for us to just "take their word for it," and there are probably hundreds of people, if not more, who are sitting in jail or prison right now and do not belong there. I see cases like that on those sleuth shows and channels all the time. It is sickening.

Even WITH a trial, justice is not always done.

new topics

top topics

join