It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont we hear about many haunted funeral homes?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Restless spirits tend to stick around....

Funeral rituals assist in spirits moving on.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Well my house was built pre 1880's and back then they used to lay the bodies out in the home. While living here for the past 8 yrs we have had numerous strange things happen but nothing that I would call full blown haunted. Food for thought I suppose.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

maybe I should clarify here any LIVE good lookin girl
my bad.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Do you believe it was from that or do you believe there is something else to it (something that happend in the house)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Spirits like to linger in places they were familiar with in life. Unless they worked or lived in the funeral home or somehow actually died there.. there is nothing to connect them to it. By the time a person is seen in a funeral home for wake's etc the soul has long since left the body.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'll give you a personal story about a Funeral Home:

My family moved into the third floor of a building that our family friend owned. He lived on the first floor. This building was a former funeral home, and his apartment was the show room and the third floor was the director's apartment. There was a back staircase that went all the way to the basement. When we first moved in, we helped our friend clean out the basement. There were still gurney tables down there when we moved in. I always got a really bad feeling when I was down there, and at the time attributed it to being freaked out about the place being a former funeral home.

I was home by myself one day. There was nobody in the apartment and our friends downstairs were out for the day with their kids. The main front door was locked and you had to use the buzzer to ring in. I took a long bath as I had just got done with a practice for the day that left my muscles very sore. About 20 minutes into my bath, someone knocked on the bathroom door. I said "I'm in here Dad. I'll be out in a bit." Well, nobody answered the door. I yelled to my Dad again, and again there were a few knocks on the door. I said "What do you need?" At that point I got out of the tub, put on a towel and opened the door. Lo and behold, nobody was there. I checked the main door to the apartment, and it was still locked. Nobody had been home. At that point I rinsed off, got dressed and took off to the coffee shop down the street until my Dad got home that evening. When I told him about what happened, he shrugged it off until something happened to him.

He was doing laundry in the basement one afternoon and when he went down to switch from the washer to the dryer, there were clothes strewn all over. Once again, the neighbors weren't home so we knew that it wasn't them. The washing machine was brand new and had a locking mechanism that we checked. It worked as it was supposed to. Instead of cleaning up the clothes, he ran upstairs to tell me what happened. We went down to look at the mess, and all the clothes were back in the washer, with the lock closed on the washer. We moved out about 2 months later.

This was one of the weirdest things that's ever happened to me (minus some of the investigations that I've been on), and I still remember those two incidents like they were yesterday. I never really liked that place, and it burned down about 4 years later, and I said "good riddance."

I don't know why spirits would hang around funeral homes in the first place, unless some of them are stuck into their bodies until a proper burial happens. I tend to think that it may have been the former funeral director still hanging around, as he died in that building. I never saw the clothes strewn on the floor in the basement, so maybe my Dad was messing with me, but the knocks on the bathroom door are what sealed the deal for me.

Anyway, that's my story, for what it's worth.

-TS

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I believe the question should actually be, "Why don't we hear about many haunted hospitals?"

I mean, that's usually where most folks end up checking out.

Today, although most people say they would prefer to die at home, 56% die in hospital and 19% in nursing homes.
source

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I would say the soul or spirit, which I believe is 'energy' has likely already left the body.

As for someone's questions on hospital, there are purported to be many 'old' hospitals haunted and I would also say currently operating hospitals, as they are a huge business, frowns on and discourages employees for reporting any sort of pecularities outside of to the management.

Might get you fired... I've been told lots of nursing homes have incredibly strange activity...

Have you ever watch Ghost Hunters or Zak Bagan on travel channel?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Thanks for shareing I always like hearing experiences from other members.
I think this deserves a star

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

Most places dont want the reputation of a haunting because they fear it would loose buisness. In some instances though it will gain them buisness just because of the reputation.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

Most places dont want the reputation of a haunting because they fear it would loose buisness. In some instances though it will gain them buisness just because of the reputation.

In my experience it is more the case of the latter than the former. Where I live there is fervent competition as to which building is the most haunted, and people will come just on the off-chance that they may get that little added titilation. There are even ghost tours, and the right to hold that 'Official' or 'Original' title has ended up in fisticuffs on more than one occasion. It is an odd thing about we humans that we actually like to be scared, hence why so many torture themselves on roller coaster and the such like. But then I suppose it depends on the business, I should imagine child care centres wouldn't advertise their ghosts, and most of the hotels that I know have had ghost sightings don't shout about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

That's the thing about ghosts, they hang around places where people do their living and provide convenient explanations for how you misplaced your keys for the umpteenth time.

For sake of argument let's say ghosts exist and let's say you become one, that's right YOU die and pass on into a spiritual form. Do you really want to go ANYWHERE near a funeral home? You're a ghost now, you're essentially free to go ANYWHERE, you can go right through walls for snip sake, why on Earth would you hang around a funeral home.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well, some people theorized that hauntings are no more than "recordings"of residue life-energy that "engraves itself to places of great joy and/or sorrow for the dearly departed.

The morgues are the place where the empty shell ends-up, without any connection to the place where the person actually died.

It could explain why many hauntings occur often in places that have measurably different energy signatures due to kinds of stone, streaming water nearby etc.

It doesn't seem too inconceivable to me that certain (quartz?) minerals, with a constant stream of water or air over it, or near it, can act like the recording-heads of old fashioned tape-decks. So, that if someone dies violently or something, that final burst of life-energy engraves itself -gets "recorded"- so to speak, or even death-cries, and gets re-played everytime certain athmospheric circumstances "trigger"said recording. It could also explain why profi Ghost-Hunters often seem to measure increased magnetic activity at haunted places.

I know, it's a bit of a techie interpretation, void of religious and/or philosophical considerations, but to me it seems plausible.

just my $0.02 though

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

I agree with you here. Alot of places welcome that title and the persona tht it brings to be a "haunted" location.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Well put you do have a valid point there. That would not be on my personal list of places to go.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by diakrite

That is a view that hasnt been presented yet thank you.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

I could be that those in the industry just don't talk about it that much. They could accept it as part of the job and go on. Could also be that hanging out at a funeral home would be a really depressing thing to do in the afterlife. Unless of course the person was a Goth, then I suppose they would find it quite comfy!

ETA (9:40am EST): Back in the mid 90's I worked at a cosmetics counter with a woman that was a trained mortician. When she went to school in Nashville for her degree she was required to wear a skirt. After she graduated the only job she could get at a funeral home was one that put her "out front", meaning she was not allowed to handle bodies. She could help with the hair/makeup, arrangements, meet and greets, but that was it. That's why she quit working in that industry at the time. The funeral homes in this area were still ran very traditionally. Just wanted to add that because if the industry can be so traditional in regards to women, I can only imagine the view point on "hauntings".

reply to post by gumbico

Very good observation! I believe many hospitals are "haunted" in one way or another. I've heard tales from employees from 3 different ones in Tennessee.

One is the old Baptist Hospital in Downtown Knoxville. One portion of the hospital was shut down (flood damage, I think) and a security guard experienced weird happenings in the area. Doors open/closings, loud bangs, voices, etc. (this was told to me second-hand, but a friend confirmed these things happening)

Another is Roane County Medical. I have a friend that was a security guard there and while working the night shift he experienced weird things.

The last one, one of the older buildings on the campus at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville. I had to spend a few nights there Dec 2010 & the nurses figured out I was "into" paranormal stuff. They started talking about how they sometimes feel that area is haunted. One even said, "too bad you don't have an audio recorder, you would probably catch something".

The reason I think you don't hear about these things more often is because hospitals are busy places most of the time. And most "hauntings" are passive/non-aggressive. I do belong to a group of friends that travel to haunted places and funny enough 98% of the group is made up of medical professionals! The group was started by the guy I mentioned at the beginning of this post. He didn't believe in ghosts so when he heard the stories the security guard was telling he went to check it out for himself. He experienced stuff he couldn't explain and that is what set him on his paranormal path.

OiO

edit on 3-2-2012 by OneisOne because: remembered my friend the mortician!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
you have a good point there. like the Goth comment lol.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
i used to install headstones when I was a teenager. first real job I had. Felt a certain peace in most graveyards. It was the unconsecrated sites that creeped me out. One day I was told to leave by an entity, then thrown out when I didn't move. Quit my job at that moment and never returned to that graveyard.

I know someone will ask where, so here it is... The Lasalle Graveyard in Sudbury Ontario Canada. In the unconsecrated lot at the back.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JROCK2527

I think it's all far more complicated than people pretend.

Nothing annoys me more than seeing the likes of Yvette Fielding or Zak Bagans claiming they'll "release" a spirit through some chanting, as if they're some kind of powerful Human who has a clue. It's so insanely arrogant it's beyond belief!

Personally, even though I have experienced things I would consider to be supernatural, I don't pretend to understand any of it. I do think about it often, but I'm not arrogant enough to think we can possibly grasp what it's all about.

For instance, if traumatic death results in spirits, where are all the ghost cows and ghost chickens, with millions upon millions of them slaughtered every month in traumatic ways? No one can explain this. It was as simple as traumatic death resulting in ghosts, where are all those animals?

And then, why are there so many reports of ghosts of those who actually didn't die in any traumatic way? Granny passing in her sleep and returning for someone to see doesn't fit this theory.

The one thing I do know is that we operate using electrical impulses, it's how our brains function. Also, energy cannot be destroyed, it simply transfers. So, when we die, where does this energy go? Presumably, it returns to a flowing system, throughout our reality. If this is the case, does a part of us go with it? Is there a "soul" (for want of a better word) which leaves the body with this energy?

Could it be that we are indeed "all one"?

I actually wonder if there's more than one phenomena in what we call hauntings or spirit manifestation. Could it be a combination of things like the recording theory, and some a genuine communication, while others a kind of crossing-over of dimensions, or even perhaps other forms of life in a spectrum we cannot see?

Our brains desperately try to make sense of things we perceive, and can get it wrong if there's no previous experience. Could it be that for a moment we are perceiving something out of our normal range of sight and sound, but our brains are forming a picture we will make more sense of?

We know we cannot see everything, like radio waves for example. How are we to know there aren't a million other forms of life out of our range of perception, occasionally seen but misunderstood?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join