It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 out of 11 of us will shoplift this year!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

As America's retail brands gear up to welcome hordes of holiday shoppers, here's a little something they might keep in mind: One in every 11 people who walk through the door are likely to walk out with at least one item he or she didn't pay for. Given that retailers are likely to lose $119 billion to shoplifters this year (1.45 percent of total sales), it's not surprising that the loss-prevention folks have studied this problem from every angle. That's how we know only 3 percent of shoplifters are "professionals" who'll fence the goods, and most offenders are amateurs whose crimes are ones of opportunity.

Main Article
Secondary Source

So who all is stealing this stuff? Teens? The unemployed?
Actually? Neither. According to this article, 75% of shoplifters are adults and most of them have jobs.
Shoplifting is up by 6% from last year and as many as 35% of the total losses will occur by or with the help of store employees.

Only 3% of all shoplifters are so called "professional" thieves.

So what are we stealing? The answers this year may surprise you. Listed from 10th to 1st. according to the Ad Week article:

• 10. NIKE'S
  • 9. CHANEL NO. 5
  • 8. LET'S ROCK ELMO
  • 7. POLO RALPH LAUREN Designer apparel
  • 6. AXE deoderant
  • 5. GILLETTE MACH 4 Razor blades
  • 4. iPHONE4
  • 3. Electric tools
  • 2. JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY
  • 1. No...I wouldn't have guessed it either...FILET MIGNON

All total, retailers are expected to lose upwards of $119 BILLION this year alone. So try to leave your sticky fingers at home this year! Even though 7 out of 10 shoplifters went in with no plans to steal anything.

All in all pretty interesting statistics I think.

edit on 3-12-2011 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
once the riots hit im sure that number will drastically increase.
im not sure its still shoplifting then though lol

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't think shoplifting is that simple, but i won't go into that point....Perhaps to really understand this situation, perhaps we should be looking at this thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The world is not an easy place, we are not in happy times, the dollar is not what it was a decade ago, AND we all want to give our families a Merry Christmas.....Remember,

The value of life is an expression not of tangible rewards but of lifting ones soul.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

It's not what it used to be, but the stuff that's listed at the top of the charts really isn't Christmas gift stuff..except maybe stocking stuffers. Except for maybe the Elmo thing or the shoes.
Most seems to me like high end stuff people maybe used to could have afforded, but maybe now can't. Like the steaks, or designer perfumes and deodorants.

Maybe we can't afford the best any more but some are still gonna try to get them. I was surprised that 70% of the cases of shoplifting maybe were spur of the moment things. Like maybe wow....these razor blades are $23. Too much for me...but I still "need" this brand.....

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Ironically enough, this is the report on shop lifting. I do not see the report on waste disposal and insider theft. I have seen grocery stores throw out thousands of dollars worth of food items, other merchandise stores throw away "defective" items such as discolored clothing or damaged packaging.

Perhaps if retailers (no offense to those who do not fall in this category and try to earn an honest living) were less greedy and more personable, there would be less theft.

Then again, I would suggest that if 3% of the 1 out of 11 are pros, that the 97% (99%) are in need.

if anyone lost two cents, would they cry and whine about it? Shouldn't they? It is a whole 2% of an entire dollar after all. (The depth of sarcasm here is between very and very very deep)

I believe that their loss in theft is a small price for their gain in revenue. besides I'm sure they pay more that a measly 1% in advertising, so why not absorb the loss there and advertise less (or maybe fire a few CEOs while you're at it).

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
My point might have been lost in translation....I was trying to express that there are a lot of families out there now that are not in the same position they were a few years ago. I for one have a disabled wife and a 13 year old daughter, and it crushes my heart that I cannot give them the christmas that I know they deserve.....The one time of year that they should be happy. I am not shoplifting, but I can see the thoughts that run through those that do. I personally use the mach3, and yes is very expensive relatively, so have gone to just suffering through a duller blade than I would like. We can't just look at the numbers on shoplifting as a single factor, we must also take into factor the economy, the season, and external factors. This will sound sexists, but from a male point of view....The father in a family wants to provide safety, shelter, and food for their family, If you have not been able to provide for your family, then you really do not understand that set of feelings. You are alone, you cannot really talk about it with anyone, you don't want to burden your wife, you can't talk with your male friends because you are embarrassed....You don't want to talk with family, because mom and dad have an image of you, and you don't want to destroy that.....When looking at these numbers, try to imagine walking in their shoes, it is not a happy place, I am not justifying it, but I can understand what is going through their minds....Maybe if more could do the same, the world would be a better place.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

any chances we wanna raise that to 10 out of 11? cause.. well... wallstreet shoplifted some of my 401

new topics

top topics

join