It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Entanglement extends FURTHER than the quantum world. Article: Two Diamonds Linked by Strange

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

Entanglement is so weird that Einstein dubbed it "spooky action at a distance." It's a strange effect where one object gets connected to another so that even if they are separated by large distances, an action performed on one will affect the other. Entanglement usually occurs with subatomic particles, and was predicted by the theory of quantum mechanics, which governs the realm of the very small.
But now physicists have succeeded in entangling two macroscopic diamonds, demonstrating that quantum mechanical effects are not limited to the microscopic scale.
edit on 1/12/2011 by kaskade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

Now, why and what entangles? It is the much bigger question. It is a fascinating question, one that involves physics and philosophy both. It says that there is a why. Why presumes a greater good, a purpose, that assumes a sentience, it assumes a soul. Be well and peace.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

Not so long ago we had a thread about neutrinos being FTL and FTL communication (using Quantum Entanglement) came up here, has someone made any advance on that field ?
edit on 2-12-2011 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I recall that a few different groups had successfully entangled gaseous molecules - which was one of the first demonstrations that quantum entanglement could potentially have effects at the macroscopic scale.

I've still yet to read over this, but it comes as little surprise to me that they've been able to demonstrate entanglement with crystalline structures. This has some interesting implications in quantum computing technology and fault detection, at least in the immediately obvious applications.

We'll have to be a bit more inventive if we want to use it as the backbone of an FTL data bus.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Interesting Entanglement Applications

Quantum teleportation
en.wikipedia.org...

Quantum teleportation, or entanglement-assisted teleportation, is a process by which a qubit (the basic unit of quantum information) can be transmitted exactly (in principle) from one location to another, without the qubit being transmitted through the intervening space. It is useful for quantum information processing, however it does not immediately transmit classical information, and therefore cannot be used for communication at superluminal (faster than light) speed. Quantum teleportation is unrelated to the common term teleportation - it does not transport the system itself, and does not concern rearranging particles to copy the form of an object

But, it's not actually a 'teleportation' in a completely physical manner...

No-cloning theorem
en.wikipedia.org...

The no-cloning theorem is a result of quantum mechanics that forbids the creation of identical copies of an arbitrary unknown quantum state. It was stated by Wootters, Zurek, and Dieks in 1982, and has profound implications in quantum computing and related fields.

The state of one system can be entangled with the state of another system. For instance, one can use the Controlled NOT gate and the Walsh-Hadamard gate to entangle two qubits. This is not cloning. No well-defined state can be attributed to a subsystem of an entangled state. Cloning is a process whose end result is a separable state with identical factors

I've never really been a fan of quantum teleportation, but I do however entertain the thought of transfering thought through a similar process.
Just find what the construct of a persons brain is entangled with, through 'reverse engineering' time and movement, locate where a person was... then now(future) mess(lol) with it and manipulate the thoughts, or even project thoughts 'back in time' to alter history.
You don't have to tell me it's crazy, I know it is...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by kaskade

Not so long ago we had a thread about neutrinos being FTL and FTL communication (using Quantum Entanglement) came up here, has someone made any advance on that field ?

What is FTL first of all lol...

Next, what is FTL and FTL communication?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
FTL
Faster Than Light...
Though i could be wrong

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

"And all things We made in pairs, so that you may give thought."

Quran 51.49

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Made in pairs out of a trinity in their creation.

anyways... although it may not be talking about the same thing, another interesting article that i read a little while back:

Progress in Quantum Computing: Researchers Control Rate of Photon Emission from Luminescent Imperfections in Diamond
www.sciencedaily.com...
"Engineers and physicists at Harvard have managed to capture light in tiny diamond pillars embedded in silver, releasing a stream of single photons at a controllable rate."

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by kaskade

I found in this blog post (dated: Oct. 25, 2011), a statement that quantum entanglement communication speed is greater than 10,000 times light speed.

Experiments using closely synchronized measurements on entangled particles have shown hidden signals would need to zap from one particle to the other at least 10,000 times faster than light. (See also “The Speed of Spookiness” by CQT’s Vlatko Vedral.) So, any such backchannel would flout Einstein’s special theory of relativity. But that's not a deal-breaker. As long as the signals are hidden, they pose no overt contradiction to relativity. Besides, it’s not as though physicists have a lot of other good options to explain entanglement. Once-promising possibilities, such as some internal memory to the particles, have been ruled out.

source: fqxi.org...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
It's nice to see a quantum entanglement experiment where the subjects of the experiment are big enough to comprehend!

Originally posted by Larryman
I found in this blog post (dated: Oct. 25, 2011), a statement that quantum entanglement communication speed is greater than 10,000 times light speed.
That's not a communication speed.

See No-communication theorem

So far, no communication has ever been demonstrated at faster than light speeds. Quantum entanglement is not communication.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'm asking out of total ignorance here, no point to make. Could it be that the two diamons are linked, not by quantum entanglement but by the vibrations the experimenters induced?

If you pluck a string on an instrument, then hold the proper tuning fork near it, the tuning fork will vibrate. Is that part of the effect here?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm no physicist so forgive my ingorance if that is the case, but I always thought quantum entanglement meant that a pair of particles were actually in exactly in the same place, even though they are seperated by whatever distance? Because of this no information transfers between the two because they are in essence the same particle?

Also I thought any change of state of one particle happened instantaneously to the other. Even giving the effect that the one of the pair not being interacted with would look like it changed state before the first because of the FTL limit?

Thats how it goes in my head
Although I'm sure theres a lot more to it

edit on 2/12/2011 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Anybody remember something Cayce said

about the hall of records being a "crystal repository"

uhh, or something like that..

Brings to mind the crystal skulls as well...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

Very Cool, last I heard, they had used this "Spooky attachment" to transfer somethingnot sure what across 89 miles of ocean water inthe Canary Islands( It was on Brian Greens Show on NOVA the other night.
Prtty cool actually

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Sages, mystics, shamen, and enlightened people have been describing for a very long time the existence that our 'modern' science is showing us today. I am delighted that these understandings are breaking free from the strangle-hold of knowledge that some have had over the masses. It's about dam time!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
I'm no physicist so forgive my ingorance if that is the case, but I always thought quantum entanglement meant that a pair of particles were actually in exactly in the same place, even though they are seperated by whatever distance? Because of this no information transfers between the two because they are in essence the same particle?

Also I thought any change of state of one particle happened instantaneously to the other. Even giving the effect that the one of the pair not being interacted with would look like it changed state before the first because of the FTL limit?
We don't know if it's instantaneous or not, but it's way faster than the speed of light, whatever the actual speed is.

Regarding your comment about two particles not in the same place being in the same place, I don't see how that's supposed to make any sense...I never heard that before.

If the particles are a mile apart, then they are a mile apart. That's not the same place.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I'm asking out of total ignorance here, no point to make. Could it be that the two diamons are linked, not by quantum entanglement but by the vibrations the experimenters induced?

If you pluck a string on an instrument, then hold the proper tuning fork near it, the tuning fork will vibrate. Is that part of the effect here?
I re-read the article looking for a link to a paper to see if I could read more details about the experiment, but I didn't see any link to a paper.

However they do give the names of the researchers and you might be able to google their paper if there is one, from the information provided. Reading their paper should confirm the answer to your question, but I saw no reason to conclude from the information in the article that the link wasn't quantum entanglement, as claimed.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Really interesting, where are the findings and who are the mysterious scientists and where is their unknown lab? It's a lack of information like this that makes me question credibility. Guess I'll look it up, still, very cool.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

"And all things We made in pairs, so that you may give thought."

Quran 51.49

Please, don't do that... -_-

On the other hand, maybe we are still right about the speed of light. Its the universal speed limit, but we can get around it. For instance, they may not be "traveling", they may just be "connected" in some way.

Just like wormholes. Your not technically "traveling" but your "connecting" two distances in some weird fashion.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join