It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO instructs troops to use live ammunition after 2 soldiers shot, 43 injured in Kosovo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

ZUBIN POTOK, Kosovo (AP) — A German NATO officer and a soldier were shot and wounded and some 23 Austrian and German soldiers injured in clashes with Serb protesters in northern Kosovo throughout Monday after the military alliance's troops used heavy machinery to remove trucks and buses blocking a main road in the tense region, an official said.

"The commander of the battalion was shot and another soldier was also wounded," said NATO spokesman, Lt. Col. Uwe Nowitzky.

NATO said its soldiers are now under instructions to fire live ammunition if they come under attack.

Video from earlier today (shows tear gas, rubber bullets being fired)

Ive heard that things have been heating up in Kosovo lately, and then this happens. For awhile now, NATO has said they will remove barricades, and in the clashes earlier today, NATO used tear gas and rubber bullets to try to keep back the crowd. To my understanding, 2 Serbs were injured in the clashes earlier.

In addition to the above, another 20 NATO soldiers were injured today in similar clashes

On Tuesday more than 20 Portuguese and Hungarian soldiers were injured in a similar operation, one of them seriously

(not sure which forum is best for this, feel free to move)
edit on 28-11-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It would be easier to list countries that did not have a NATO presence than the countries that do. I know why NATO is in Kosovo and many other countries, the problem is..... I don't agree with the reasons and I highly doubt the majority of citizens in said countries do either.

WWIII is knocking on the door, looks like NATO wants to answer it in a bath robe and a raging hard......... attitude.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
No. Not Kosovo again.
The violence of the Serbs resurges. What next, the "ethnic cleansing" of the Milošević era?
edit on 11/28/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No. Not Kosovo again.
The violence of the Serbs resurges. What next, the "ethnic cleansing" of the Milošević era?

I agreed at the time about the NATO resolution to stop the ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. It seemed all too familiar with the Nazi party and the MSM sure did make that guy look like a crazy dictator hell bent on genocide.

That said, it was at a time in my life where I actually believed most of what Fox news told me. Was it true, is it now..... I don't know, it's a world away and you have to pick and choose what sources you believe.

Getting, sorting and discerning information these days when you realize you can't take your MSM U.S. outlet at face value is tough because you get reports that are across the board from many other "less reliable?" sources.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

At the time I was involved with an online flight sim "squadron" (the 333rd). One of my squad mates lived in Kosovo and described what was happening in the streets. I believed him.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, don't keep me in suspense, what did he describe? Was it anywhere close to the official story? I have to think there was some truth to it but my gut feeling tells me it was a tribal war mostly overblown because of political gains with assets, oil and arms deals being the pot of gold at the end of the mostly blood red rainbow.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

albanians and NATO are ethnic cleansing serbs.Running narcotics rings in Europe alongside albanian mafia,sex trafficking,organ trafficking. So,like you support this kind of nonsense?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

One of my squad mates lived in Kosovo and described what was happening in the streets.

I do not know a whole lot about the history of Kosovo and the conflict there, but I have a friend who was in the military and was stationed over there for a bit. He didnt go into much detail when we talked about it, but he said it was one of the scariest places he has ever been, never knowing if there was a sniper in one of the bombed out buildings just waiting. He also said the "atmosphere" on the area he was in was just.....depressing, along with the whole being scared beyond belief part.
edit on 29-11-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

He described violence in the streets. He described his country torn apart by the ethnic "differences" which had been going on and on. He described his disgust at what he saw and NATO had nothing to do with any of it. He wanted nothing to do with any of it but he was in the middle of it. I never even asked him which "side" he was on.

Lost track of him.

edit on 11/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Most Kosovans are Albanian and Muslim, in direct conflict with the Serbs, being Slavic and Christian (Orthodox mostly) and so what we have is the usual tribal conflicts. Religion and .... race, so to speak. The Serbs used to rule the area though at times so did the Muslims. There are still celebrations of victories made in the 1200s!!!!!!!!!!! This is another example of the tribal insanity of the human race. Rival towns, rival counties, rival states, rival nations, rival races, rival religions, rival sects, rival political parties, rival philosophies...... kinda holding us back as the Human Race as a whole! And considering our penchant for developing and using technology to kill each other.... if there is anyone "out there" watching us, why would they want to share tech with us? We mostly use it to KILL each other! And considering what happened during the wars in Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, and so on.... not just killing each other, but the brutal and horrific rapes and murders and tortures, I'd get the hell out of there as its only temporary in holding them back, they have too long of a memory and are still fighting the same wars with short breaks that they have been fighting for centuries.. Civilized countries and peoples?????????? Hardly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many of them are just cruel animals. And using that comparison is an insult to non-human animals! Tit for Tat, over and over and over, throughout the millenium. How does one go home after a long day's work in fighting and tell your wife that you had a hard day raping and torturing women and children? Where's dinner and how are the kids? Sorry, but none of them seem to remorseful over anything other than not being able to have killed more during the past conflicts. Is THIS what it means to be Christian or Muslim?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is a horrible story and I feel badly for your friend. I can't imagine that kind of thing happening on my streets here in America although I'm not sure how long it will be until we witness this sort of scenario. God bless those who have to endure violence and hardship to ensure human rights. There are times where there is no other choice.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

no. The Occupy movement turns violent, and NATO forces occupy the US major cities.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

With all of that rivalry I'd say they could use some good ole fashioned Football! In all seriousness tho,when I was in the 2/75th Rgr Reg we had some fella's over there and the word they used to describe it was "raw" meaning 100% dangerous. Its like the CIA dropped pamphlets for "Small unit Tactics" all over the place. They would fire into their own people all of the time

top topics

join