It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if HUD disappeared? (rand paul article) Ron Paul was same veiws.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
From this link :What if HUD disappeared

So what’s the alternative to public housing suggested by Sen. Paul?There is none. If you slash the budget to zero there is no replacement program or policy.

Instead, what you will instantly have are large numbers of people who suddenly have no housing. They will be homeless. That is, they will be homeless if they peacefully move from such housing as they now have and then onto the streets. With their children.

If you think public housing is a bad idea, then no public housing is a worse idea.

I did not realize that Rand Paul and Ron Paul were 2 seperate candiates. Apperently they both want the same thing. This article is about Rand Paul but hey I am only human and I make mistakes.
There are so many Ron Paul supporters on here that I must post this. This is not the only thing Ron Paul wants to cut but it is pretty drastic. This means millions of people would become homeless. The point of low income housing is offer affordable housing to those who are not qualifed for market rate housing.
This scares me too think about there are 46 million americans in poverty so this means about 40 million americans would become homeless along with the disabled and elderly. This will be a MASSIVE problem and homelessness will be the main problem in the USA.
What can be done to fix HUD without cutting it? What should be provided as an alternative to nothing. Please no judgements or comments about how poor people are lazy. DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE IF YOU CAN"T AFFORD HOUSING YOU DON"T DERSERVE IT! If you have no compassion do not reply. This is not a debate just a humane discussion!

edit on 28-11-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It would be a shock to low income housing, but I don't think it's as big as you think. Just think of all the vacated homes. You got to rent to someone, and if your price can't attract someone, then time to slash your asking rental price. If home prices reflected the amount of the rental fee, a lot of rental fees would be asking too much.

I highly doubt he would make a move that would put millions of people on the street over night, that's just foolish.
edit on 28-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

BTW, the article mentions nothing of RP, it does mention his son Rand
edit on 28-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

This is a RAND Paul article.

Interesting information nonetheless, thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
HUD should be eliminated, as should every other Federal agency who's a duplicate of State agencies. The Constitution limits the power of the Federal government to defence and interstate trade. The amount of money saved at the Federal level would be more than enough to fund the State agencies. Of course the public sector unions would have fits, but, that would be their problem.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Time out. Dr. Paul is advocating the elimination of HUD... not public housing. HUD acts as a money funnel for public monies to go to for-profit developers to build, rehab or maintain 'public' housing. The developers get very, very rich. Public housing projects could be done far more efficiently and for far less cost if handled by local, not-for-profit agencies. Face it, anything the federal government touches fails. I've interacted with HUD on a professional level and I will tell you in no uncertain terms it is nothing but a huge, dysfunctional scam.

I say close it today and turn it into public housing.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ron Paul articlereply to post by TinkerHaus

Ron Paul Article

•Paul would immediately eliminate five cabinet-level departments: Commerce,
Education,
Energy,
HUD

Ron Paul wants to eliminate HUD as well. I am confused so there are two Pauls running on the republican ticket?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
Ron Paul articlereply to post by TinkerHaus

•Paul would immediately eliminate five cabinet-level departments: Commerce,
Education,
Energy,
HUD

Ron Paul wants to eliminate HUD as well. I am confused so there are two Pauls running on the republican ticket?

Ron Paul is a Congressman for the state of Texas, running for POTUS.

Rand Paul is his son, a Senator from Kentucky, who has similar but in some instances different ideas. They are not the same person.

Ron Paul does indeed support removing funding for HUD - but this article is about a budget plan introduced to the Senate, by Rand Paul.
edit on 28-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

This was written by Tim Manni - not about Ron. Written referencing RAND Paul. I don't think Ron would support this, however there's too much corruption and palm-greasing with contracts being milked by certain contractors involved. Time for a change...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If the gov keeps buying houses the way they are the best thing they could do help people would be to disband HUD and give them the houses that the government owns. Rich people would lose their minds since a lot of these houses are in good neighborhoods, but too bad. WE could do a lot for integration and even end busing here in NC.

The government has no business being in the housing industry anyway.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Time out. Dr. Paul is advocating the elimination of HUD... not public housing. HUD acts as a money funnel for public monies to go to for-profit developers to build, rehab or maintain 'public' housing. The developers get very, very rich. Public housing projects could be done far more efficiently and for far less cost if handled by local, not-for-profit agencies. Face it, anything the federal government touches fails. I've interacted with HUD on a professional level and I will tell you in no uncertain terms it is nothing but a huge, dysfunctional scam.

Just to clear up, public housing is under HUD. And here is Rand Paul's opinion:

Rand Paul On HUD

According to Senator Paul, among other things, we need to end public housing and rental subsidies.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

These are my thoughts exactly. I know people will jump to the incorrect conclusion that Paul doesn't support the poor, but that's not the case.

Public housing should be managed by the state. The Federal Government should shrink, thus keeping a metric #### ton of dollars in our pockets, eliminating SOME need for federally funded public housing. State governments could fund public housing through a variety of taxes and municipal bonds (the HUD owner's will still pay taxes and could help repay these bonds). Additionally, if we weren't paying between 1/5 and 1/3 of our income to the Feds, the states could justify raising sales tax 1% or so, or income taxes, to raise revenue to fund public housing.

This is consistent with both Ron and Rand Paul's position on the powers the Federal Government should have.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

HUD is in charge of all low income housing programs and subsidaries. If HUD was gone and nothing put in it's place then all in low income housing would get a notice to move. I talked with someone at HUD and they more or less implied that it can't happen because if HUD is cut low income housing is gone.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

HUD is in charge of all low income housing programs and subsidaries. If HUD was gone and nothing put in it's place then all in low income housing would get a notice to move. I talked with someone at HUD and they more or less implied that it can't happen because if HUD is cut low income housing is gone.

This is only correct if the states don't fill that gap.

The states SHOULD fill this gap - as it is their responsibility to provide services to the public - NOT the federal government's.

My state has grants and assistance available at all levels, local, county, state, etc. There will still be funding for housing - in fact, if the federal government backed out of everything they shouldn't be meddling in, there would be surplus money kept in the states to fund housing, healthcare, foodstamps, etc.

Freddie and Fannie are failures and have been for some time. Low income housing is being paid for mostly by the eroding middle class, and this is one of the reasons for that erosion. The Feds just aren't good at managing money.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

No one in their right mind would put millions of people on the street over night, which is what is being implied. RP is also wants to get rid of the Fed, but he admits it can't be done over night. I guarantee that rent will drop if families can't pay there rent en masse.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

reply to post by satron

This is only correct if the states don't fill that gap.

The states SHOULD fill this gap - as it is their responsibility to provide services to the public - NOT the federal government's.

My state has grants and assistance available at all levels, local, county, state, etc. There will still be funding for housing - in fact, if the federal government backed out of everything they shouldn't be meddling in, there would be surplus money kept in the states to fund housing, healthcare, foodstamps, etc.

Freddie and Fannie are failures and have been for some time. Low income housing is being paid for mostly by the eroding middle class, and this is one of the reasons for that erosion. The Feds just aren't good at managing money.

You're correct. And in the case the state can't make up for the short fall, I'm betting that the ripple effect will be that room and board prices will drop.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

reply to post by satron

No one in their right mind would put millions of people on the street over night, which is what is being implied. RP is also wants to get rid of the Fed, but he admits it can't be done over night. I guarantee that rent will drop if families can't pay there rent en masse.

Agreed. Also, when governments aren't guaranteeing loans lenders will have to get more competitive. Housing prices would drop.

This is bad for people who bought in the 90s and gained value through 2007 - but good for everyone in general. More people would own homes without HUD.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Leave it to the states. I'm tired of people thinking that it's soo extreme to eliminate federal agencies like this.. A guy I know actually said at one point "It's a bit much to eliminate the Department of Education.. I just don't think every parent is equipped and willing to homeschool"... HA!! He literally thought that without the Department of Education, there would be no public school. Insane. The Department of Education has only existed since 1979 (not surprisingly right about the same time the US kid's intelligence statistics started to plummet).. HUD has been around since just 1966. States can handle things just fine..

Initial surprise is understandable.. the media brainwashes us into thinking we'd be lost without the government and all they provide for us.. but I urge you to research before you react. Find out exactly what it means and how things would be if said agency wasn't around. And try to find both sides of the argument

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No offense, but when HUD is not needed, Why would there be HUD?

The only reason we have HUD is because of HIGH INFLATION with FLAT WAGES. Hard to create jobs in that environment that will cover housing and the basic needs of families on a large scale.

Ron Paul aims to restore value to our currency which will allow people to afford more on less wages, eventually making programs like HUD unneeded and outdated. Restoring the value of labor is an important Paul policy that is overlooked when people throw out these things in a negative matter towards Dr. Paul.

People seem to forget that the economy is broken, and that these programs exist because politicians felt bad about screwing the working/middle class. Paul is talking about reversing all the screwing, making most of these programs obsolete.

EDIT: If you work 40 hours a week, you should be able to attend to the basic needs of your family, and the only entity that removed the ability for this to be true is in fact the federal reserve banking system. (ie fiat money)

edit on 28-11-2011 by no time because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2011 by no time because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wait... so those of us who qualify for nothing, and thus have to budget like mad to be able to make our house payments should continue to see a large swath of our income siezed by the federal government to help pay for the housing of others? Hmmm... yeah, that's an equitable solution.

The money tree has stopped bearing fruit. People need to realize this now. Something must give, and those somethings generally fall into the pie in sky social spending categories like HUD. If federal subsidies for housing were eliminated, the costs for the middle class would go down. The market would seek an equilibrium point at which housing could be afforded. In other words, we'd return to the white picket fences and happy neighborhoods of the 50s and 60s rather than the crap we're stuck with now.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The question I want to know the answer to is, how come we have put up with programs like HUD for so long?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join