It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada ready to take action on Iran if needed, Harper says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Canada ready to take action on Iran if needed, Harper says

theglobeandmail.com

In a blunt warning amid an escalating crisis, the Harper government declared Friday that Canada stands ready to join with other nations in preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Supporting a resolution by the International Atomic Energy Agency that expresses “deep and increasing concern” over evidence that Iran is proceeding with plans to become a nuclear power, the Harper government vowed in its submission to “continue to work with like-minded nations on next steps.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19/11/11 by argentus because: fix broken link

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Canada has joined the "like minded list of nations" which is against Iran. Iran has still maintained the position they are developing nuclear energy for peaceful purpose but I think they should seriously consider developing nuclear weapons if they don't want to share the same fate as Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya.

It's strange though I figured Canada to be a neutral country.

theglobeandmail.com (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19/11/11 by argentus because: fix malformed url

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I do not agree with this in the least.
As a Canadian, i refuse to let my country go to war again.
And i'll make damn sure everyone knows it too,

I will go door to door signing petitions to stop any action against iran. If i turn on the news and hear that, im going to lose my damn mind..

I think i have finally hit that point, where our government needs to listen to US. Why the hell can he make a decision to interfere with another country? Without the people's permission?

I do not think i am alone with these feelings, if we go to war with iran along with the united states, people are going to lose their cool, thousands and thousands will take to the streets.

If not millions. Iran has a right to power their country with whatever means they want to, just like any nation should be able to do. This holier than thou mentality of our globalist governments is getting to me, down to the core.
edit on 19/11/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

We used to be, and I wish we still were. We have too many immigrants from everywhere, to be choosing any sides. Lots of Iranians living in Canada too.

When we had Chretian as PM in 2001, he kept us out of Iraq, even with GW Bush repeating over and over again "if you're not with us, you're against us". Chretian just kept saying no.

I wish Harper would keep us out of this stuff.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ek Bharatiya

Canada has joined the "like minded list of nations" which is against Iran. Iran has still maintained the position they are developing nuclear energy for peaceful purpose but I think they should seriously consider developing nuclear weapons if they don't want to share the same fate as Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya.

Well Ek...were do we begin?

Canada has been involved in the war against Afghanistan from the beginning...and still have troops on the ground there. Canada's Air Force took an active part in the assault against Qaddafi's Libya (in fact it was a Canadian General who was in command of the NATO forces). Canada actively participated in the first war against Saddam's Iraq.

So neutral...don't think so.

On your position that Iran ought to go ahead and get nukes because it is being threatened by so many nations interests me though...because I always wondered if Iran would continue to maintain that it's nuclear program was only for peaceful applications - right up to the point it says, "We have been threatened so much that we have now been forced to arm ourselves with nukes." Like they could just pull that switch overnight...

Iran is in kind of a no-win situation though. If they keep going this way, they are going to get attacked because the West "fears" Iran is up to no good. If Iran finally comes clean, they will get attacked because the West will say "we told you so".

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's Harper. Jump on the US/Israel bandwagon. Nothing from stopping him now either, he got his majority. Remember when the Lib's refused to drag us into Iraq? No such hope with this tool running the country. And you guys don't think that Canada can't do serious damage in Iran. Smuggle Celine Dion and Justin Beiber into Iran and the population will scatter.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is bad news,because when the nice kid in school is willing to kick you in the nuts you know everyone else is already swinging,Canada is like last call at the bar,when you hear Canada you know its the end of the line,Canada is like Global Permission to kick arse.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

This news makes me angry

I am not surprised to hear it though.

Harper has always been a stooge for Israel.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think as the curtain has fallen down and every one knows about Israel and Zionist lobby , it is not too soon to hear that there is similar lobby in the Canada.

Zionis Lobby in US

edit on 19/11/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/11/11 by argentus because: fix youtube embed

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Sorry CE, I take exception to your video. This is a more apt background:

edit on 19-11-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
I do not agree with this in the least.
As a Canadian, i refuse to let my country go to war again.
And i'll make damn sure everyone knows it too,

I will go door to door signing petitions to stop any action against iran. If i turn on the news and hear that, im going to lose my damn mind..

I think i have finally hit that point, where our government needs to listen to US. Why the hell can he make a decision to interfere with another country? Without the people's permission?

I do not think i am alone with these feelings, if we go to war with iran along with the united states, people are going to lose their cool, thousands and thousands will take to the streets.

If not millions. Iran has a right to power their country with whatever means they want to, just like any nation should be able to do. This holier than thou mentality of our globalist governments is getting to me, down to the core.
edit on 19/11/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

Yeah, get on out there with your petition...that will slow Harper down...not.

Thousands or millions of people will take to the streets to defend Iran's right to develop nuclear weapons, thus giving it the capability to destroy Israel with the push of a button? I hardly think so.

Just because you get twisted up inside about an issue (and I am not saying it isn't an important one) don't make the mistake of thinking your passion is going to be shared by "millions" of Canadians...any more than millions are going to come out and march for the OWS movement, or millions are going to vote for the Green Party.

The Leafs, Canadiens and Oilers are playing tonight...there's a march on to save Iran's mad Mullahs....hmmm...what will we do?

Millions are going to be watching the games...sorry.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
LOL folks signing petitions to stop war....yeah right!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

I know where you are coming from. I just thought it like this like how can one country tell another, "We can have nukes, but you can't!". If I were walking around in a city where everyone had a gun, I'd feel a little better about having one myself, too.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Here is for Israel

Here is what Iranian leaders has said about Israel :

Two points should be clarified in advance. The first point is that our demand is the liberation of Palestine, not the liberation of a part of Palestine. Any plan to divide Palestine is completely unacceptable. The two-state idea which has been presented in the self-righteous clothing of "recognizing the Palestinian government as a member of the United Nations" is nothing but giving in to the demands of the Zionists - namely, "recognizing the Zionist government in Palestinian lands". This would mean trampling on the rights of the Palestinian nation, ignoring the historical right of the displaced Palestinians and even jeopardizing the right of the Palestinians settled in "1948 lands". It would mean leaving the cancerous tumor intact and exposing the Islamic Ummah - especially the regional nations - to constant danger. It would mean bringing back decades-long sufferings and trampling upon the blood of the martyrs.

Any operational solution must be based on the principle of "all of Palestine for all Palestinian people". Palestine is the land that extends "from the river to the sea", not one inch less than that. Of course it should be noted that through its elected government, the Palestinian people will run the affairs of the any part of the Palestinian soil they manage to liberate, just as they did in the case of Gaza, but they will never forget the ultimate goal.

The second point is that in order to reach this lofty goal, what is necessary is action, not words. It is necessary to be serious, not to make ceremonial gestures. It is necessary to have patience and wisdom, not engage in a variety of impatient actions. It is necessary to consider horizons that lie far ahead and to move forward step by step with determination, reliance on God and hope. Muslim governments and nations and the resistance groups in Palestine, Lebanon and other countries can each identify their share of work in this general struggle and solve the puzzle of resistance with Allah's permission.

khamenei.ir

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
As a Canadian i'm appauled how we can even begin to pretend to be a leader of anything, especially a champion of Human rights when we're so easy to jump on the bandwagon to war without dialogue.

The fact we intervened in Libya to help murder it's leader, other nations should be on their own bandwagon to liberate US...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Geeze.... Remember long long ago (a whole 12 years or so) when going to war was considered to extreme as to be one step from unmentionable?? Now it's casually thrown around by leaders as routinely as any other step in world geopolitics. Whats happened to us? The Western World once stood for Freedom.... I don't know quite what we stand for now, but it sure isn't the deal I grew up to believe it was.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I know where you are coming from. I just thought it like this like how can one country tell another, "We can have nukes, but you can't!". If I were walking around in a city where everyone had a gun, I'd feel a little better about having one myself, too.

The people who want to feel superior think like that, because they are created from a better mud or maybe they bleed blue.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Chief Steve has got hold of the speaking stone now and not passing it on for another 3.5 years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05506c78e2f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Shall we discuss the true reasoning behind his obvious desire to let loose the puppies of destruction upon Iran? Could it have anything to do with the Tar Sands? No? How about that pipeline to Kitimat? Could it be for shipping oil to China? No? They (The Harper Government) did threaten to sell to China just last week if the Keystone doesn't go ahead toot sweet.

So... where was it that China was hoping to get its oil from again? Not Iran? No?

Then again, it could all be based on his political roots with Preston Manning and the Reform Party, in which case he'd like Canadians to soldier against Iran solely for the love of Jesus.

Naw...

It's gotta be all about the oil.

(edit to add)
Either it's those two scenarios or he likes the idea of revitalizing Canada's historically renowned capability in producing military vehicles and munitions.
edit on 19/11/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

We're in NATO. We're in NORAD. We're in NAFTA.

Does that seem neutral to you in terms of international affairs?

-----

I have a message for Prime Minister Harper:

I know that you're probably reading this, and if not yourself than probably one of your CSIS goons. I would just like to take this opportunity to state that the common Canadian citizen thinks you're an arrogant ass. Canada does not support hostilities against Iran; you and your economic elite do, and I doubt that you guys will be anywhere near the front lines doing the actual fighting while you send our soldiers to die for you.

Further more, extensive Canadian support against Iran will only paint us as more and more imperialist on the world stage. Such actions that you carry out on behalf of Canada, will only incite hatred for the common Canadian abroad. Your actions ultimately threaten the lives and livelihoods of Canadian citizens in the long run.

Is this really want you want for us, to sell us out so you and your rich buddies can get richer? Because us true Canadians stand to gain nothing positive from it.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: political correctiveness

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Damn well said

These goons don't represent what Canadians stand for. Not one bit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join