It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Attracts You to the Paranormal?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I was just here on ATS and my brother asked me what I was doing so I told him I was on here checking out the paranormal forum and he asked me "why do you get into that stuff?" At first I couldnt give him an answer I had to think it over. I finally concluded that it was just interesting and different stuff, something mysterious. So I ask my fellow ATS posters

1) What attracts you to the paranormal?

2) Have you always been a fan or did something trigger your intrest?

3) What is your favorite paranormal topic to study up on?

and of course no post would be complete without this last question

4) Have any good stories you would like to share?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
what got me interested in the paranormal, was talking with someone in Albuquerque, New Mexcio..back in 1988....mentioned something to me about a UFO that crashed in the Sandia mountains.....then i started hearing about the Roswell incident...then Area 51.....didn't take me very long to figure out something was going on....and when I read about the NASA ET law...that sealed the deal, for me....i started digging deeper into it...and the more i dug, the more questions i had...the lack of answers only made me dig more and more.....think i actually had someone call me Mulder, at one time.....many moons ago.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The groupies.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
i read these spook comics when i was young. always with bad spirits or demons that made someones life miserable.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
first of all i am sorry for my english , i'm from poland ! so here you go . I remember form my youngest days that i love to looking in to the sky ! specially at night i was allways wonder if there is any other life up there ? and since i have internet connection i start dig and dig and reading stuff about UFO, area 51 and other things which as US goverment trying to say (never happened ) .
i had some ghost experience form my childhood too, so my whole life is a little bit paranormal
Peace !

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

grew up in a catholic household. lots of images and candles and stuff. it is an easy transition to research other religions and beliefs. though i am not religious i find i agree with some of the things zeena lavey said in her interviews. i don't follow pagan religions either but i like to listen to different philosophies. just a curious soul i guess.

note: i am not a catholic or religious.

-subfab

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Hi J,

It is because I have had some experiences that are not of this world.

Yes, it freaked me out at first.

And no, no drugs involved.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Curiosity

I remember becoming interested back when I was a kid. My parents would watch Unsolved Mysteries, and though I would find the missing persons segments boring, I couldn't get enough of the ones about ghosts, aliens, and cryptids. The theme song for the show always creeped me out though, that and Robert Stacks narration

I also loved reading true ghost stories, and this book that talked about space and the possibility of life on other planets. It had these weird illustrations of what the aliens might look like.

Don't have a favorite, it's all pretty fascinating to me!

Maybe later..

edit on 19-11-2011 by Astrithr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The desire to find a deeper meaning in life.

Kinda, but I didn't really take it seriously until I started to read more about everything.

UFO's - I find the evidence more intriguing than in other topics.

Nope, I wish! I've had weird things happen, but nothing that couldn't be explained. I want indisputable first-hand evidence!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
As a child I was perpetually curious about everything. I suppose at first I was just open minded to the possibilities of the unknown. I had since had unexplained things happen and then knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is more to life than we know.

I once had an out of body experience that lead me to believe that we are more than just a physical body. That made me very open minded, but I shared it with very few people.

I had many precognative dreams that came true. yet another factor for keeping an open mind that many things are possible that we don't always understand.

More than once I had felt the tapping on my shoulder, like someone was trying to get my attention from behind, yet no one was there.

Nothing unusual has happened in quite sometime now, but I have a strong belief in the paranormal and am always fascinated by it.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thinks it's living in a world where people seem to think we now know everything. Yet as soon as you scratch the surface of the unknown, ghosts and spirits, ufo's, cryptoids and even physics, you realize were only at the beginning of understanding the world around us.
I'm no genius but when I watched Dr Quantum on youtube explain the double slit experiment it blew my mind, let alone quantum entanglement.
Seems the more we learn, we find out how little we know.

My only experience was 4 days after my 9 year old sister died of a brain tumour.
All the family were sat in the front room, 9 or 10 of us and obviously the atmosphere was sombre. We were on the third floor when suddenly the front room door flew open, as fast as you could possibly kick it open, no one was near it and no wind. My mum and older sister say they saw my dead sister as the door swang back shut. Our German Sheppard dog didn't move, I ran to the hallway outside which led to two flights of stairs and not a soul there or a sound of running feet.
Don't know if it was telekinesis from us in the room, caused by the dark mood or my sister wanted to make one last grand entrance?
My Mum has dozens of stories of things that have happened to her and things she's seen.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Man what has happend to the base of those interested in the paranormal. It seems to have faded.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Not really me being attracted to it, it seems to be attracted to me
I suppose its the notion of the 'unknown', and tryin to understand the inner workings of myself, my thoughts etc aswell

2) Have you always been a fan or did something trigger your interest?

Iv always been a 'believer' ever since i can remember, iv just always 'known' that there is more to life than what the eyes see. Several members of my family appear to have a range of 'gifts', my mum for example just seem to know things before they happen like a slight pre cog gift - she has had alot of experiences with 'ghosts' and is gifted at the tarot. My grandfather (mums side) as another example could hold a possetion/itme from someone and tell them about its history, the feelings of the wearer and event heir future. He also was said to converse with the Ouija board regularly amongst other things, myself - i have the ability to be able to read people , their body language - especially their eyes (which my kids curse me for
) i can also do tarot and i seem to be able to 'know' things before they happen, usually before somthing bad is about to happen or on occasion who sis on the phone before i answer
But even as a youngster i remember experiences were i saw ghost/apparitions . My mum says it comes from our gypsy blood.

I have an avid interest is the de ja vu phenomena and psychic abilities like pre cog etc. i also done alot of research into the ghost phenomena and the theory of inter dimensions amongst other things. (1 example of my kooki mind lol - The View from a padded cell: alternate realities, multi universes and dimensions

I have alot of experiences i could could share, all of which would take up way to much thread space
perhaps i shall make a thread about it one day

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The chance to be scared or find that really great story, show, movie that creeps me out

2)Have you always been a fan or did something trigger your intrest?
my dad has lots of good paranormal stories he has heard over the years, I remember when I was pretty young he had some poorly dubbed vhs tape of an alien autopsy he said it was fake but it scared the crap outta me. he also had another vhs can't rememver if it was same one or not, but there was a camera in space and it caught a spaceship flying by then shortly after like bullets or lazers going through the air like something is shooting at it. it was over 20 years ago but I always thought it was cool

3)What is your favorite paranormal topic to study up on?
ghosts

did janitor work while I was in college thought the place was haunted mostly just scared being there night by myself

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
I was just here on ATS and my brother asked me what I was doing so I told him I was on here checking out the paranormal forum and he asked me "why do you get into that stuff?" At first I couldnt give him an answer I had to think it over. I finally concluded that it was just interesting and different stuff, something mysterious. So I ask my fellow ATS posters

and of course no post would be complete without this last question

I'm trying to figure this stuff out. I'm looking for pattern, if that makes sense.

I've always had a passing interest, but it took moving into an active house. (Pretty darn active, actually) that got me wondering what was what. I started reading and searching and haven't stopped!

Right now, I'm interested in figuring out what the range of spiritual or dimensional beings or entities are. I find it fascinating. Also, telekinesis, energy healing, and precognition.

My stories are not out of the ordinary for paranormal ones. At first, when I didn't know this, they seemed amazing and surreal. But now, after looking into it, I realize they are not. Mostly to do with sensing of spiritual beings in the house, movement of physical objects without physical explanation, electrical appliances turning on by themselves, stuff disappearing that was there seconds before and no one nearby, spontaneous fire..that kind of stuff. Anyway, let's just say it got my attention. Big time.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I've been drawn to it ever since I was a little kid. I don't like to be spooked, and I don't like mystery. I like to know things for myself, and experience the things I'm interested in up close. The subject is simultaneously interesting and infuriating sometimes, but it comes with the gig.

Always been interested in it. I was drawn to those kinds of stories when I was little, I had a very good imagination when I was a kid, which can unfortunately distort some peoples views on the topic. Luckily, I understood the difference between real and make believe. But the paranormal subjects, whether it was films or tv, always fascinated me and I couldn't help but wonder if there were people who had experienced similar situations or possessed certain abilities. I studied the topic through random books here and there, and then of course through the internet, with perhaps an unfounded belief but also the required healthy skepticism. My interest really took off in my late teens when I was just passively researching here and there, and had a spontaneous OBE, which confirmed for me that people actually -could- experience "something" and that it wasn't all in the head. Though what it actually is...people will argue.

Astral Projection/OBE, as of right now. But along the way I always read up on UFOs, Area 51, The Elixir of Life, Paranormal Abilities, and other things.

My thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

My first post there details my experience, though the overall post deals with the idea that it's hard to find clear minded individuals who experience these things, or are able to do them at will.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

plz be sure to let me know if you do. you can also check out another of my threads detaling some experiences at my place of work

Thread HERE

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatscotland

did janitor work while I was in college thought the place was haunted mostly just scared being there night by myself

I know the feeling I do overnight security at a hotel. There are times I cant stand it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JustSlowlyBackAway

the spontanious fire sounds very interesting plz do share.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

1) Well, as some other posters have said, it kinda attracts itself to me. Most of my family has had some sort of "third eye" and once in a blue moon I'll hear old stories about my grandmother predicting events using tea leaves, all of which came true, just as she depicted them. It kinda runs through my blood, if you get my drift.

2) Well, I had some experiences when I was a child that "sealed the deal" for me as far as paranormal topics go. I've always been naturally attuned to such things, so the interest was always there. I find that the close-mindedness and arrogance of some scientists is appalling, and I aim to discover that one shred of indisputable evidence of life after death, or as I like to call it, life outside of the meatsack.

3) I enjoy the full range of paranormal topics, but I focus on spirits, the afterlife, angels/demons, Psi-Powers, etc. ET's, UFO's, etc. are given "realities" for me, as it's impossible for there NOT to be other life out there. But like I said, I'm more interested in the ethereal essences.

4) I would share my stories, but that would take up an entire threat of posts. I used to do a lot of EVP and general ghost hunting work, but have slowed down as my life situation has changed. Having a regular job again has put a damper on my ghost hunting efforts. I do have a few very telling EVP's that I once sent to the "brass" here at ATS, and the one that listened to them thought that there may have been something on it.

Thanks for this thread!

-TS
edit on 31-1-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: grammar!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join