It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Okay, this was going to be a reply to a this member in this thread, but this just grew and grew.
Rather than slightly de-railing a thread I figured I'd post this alone.

Mods, if there is a better sub-forum for this (I'm just not sure; Origins, or philosophy, or rant?), please, don't hesitate with re-placing it. Thanks.

I'm not a great thread starter, so having spoken my mind here I look forward to discussing these thoughts and anything you can relate to.

How is anything?
How can God 'be'?
How can we 'be'?

We've always pondered 'why are we here?' and 'what is the meaning of life?'.
Personally the question of How, has become more intriguing.

Therefore, after all is said and done, what can proof for either argument (creationism/evolution) provide? Besides occupation and entertainment for our thoughts and ourselves.

I don't believe in an interventionalist God, but I know many do. I can't sway anothers
mind, I would not want mine swayed. To me, there is life, I'm talking everything
everywhere, the stars, the space itself, the atmosphere, the seas; it is all alive.
Think about it, life is more than biology... The life cycle of a star, a planet;
even galaxies are born, breath andncease to be. Although with that said,
death is never in vain, death provides for something somewhere.
There would be no life without the moving planets, the precipitation cycles, etc.
Without all that has come before us, there would be nothing moving forward.

It is theorised that the Universe is in of itself, a 'bubble' of activity, if you will. So whether
there is a God past that or other theoretical 'branes' and what-have-you seems irrelevant
to me. We cannot know this, it is absolutely unfathomable right now. Science has maybe
vague clues, religion just assumes through faith that God created this, or is dreaming
this, etc. But that onething, the one thing I feel people either don't think of, or are afraid
of, is that question, how is anything? Yes, you can say God did it. Who did God?
We probably won't ever know. Yes, you can say the Big Bang did it. What did the Big
Bang? Where did either of these ideas come from? (we know the ideas came from us.
I mean, where did what made the Big Bang come from and where did God come from?)

that may seem random, but um, Being as it is, I can't write a conclusion here

People, religious people mostly, ask how I can live without believing in a God.
To me it is all so beautiful, and I know I can keep piling up the questions, but in
the end, what does it matter. My motto is leave the day better than you found it.
It doesn't always work, but as long as I'm living for the light what could be wrong?
And, also, in the end, when I die, if I find myself at the gates (whichever ones
)
I am more than willing to grow onto the truth, whatever it may be. If the truth is
maggots, dust and bones, oh well
I just can't accept that the words of
wandering Jews, Gnostics, etc eaten up and put down by men decades,
if not centuries, later, could somehow, randomly, be the express words of God.
If God where interventionalist, God help us, no one likes a dictator, be he good or bad.

your thoughts?
edit on 2011/11/16 by Jimjolnir because: paragraphing fell to pieces, probably from copy/paste

edit on 2011/11/16 by Jimjolnir because: still paragraphing

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm fine thanks.

Enough said.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jimjolnir

I pondered these very questions about 5 years ago and the feelings i got once i actually realised what i was asking myself terrified me. If you actually think about NOTHINGNESS, as in really deeply and try to explain it, it can be very scary.

Since this day (and i remember it exactly), i have opened my eyes far more than i initially ever had done before. I cannot shake the thought that Humanity has NO IDEA why, where or how we came into existence...

And the science that's taught is in the main "best guess"...

Don't try to understand it...just accept it

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Some of these kinds of really "deep" basic questions may be unanswerable because they are asked from a human perspective.

Let me give you an example.
Q: Is a skyscraper taller than a human?
A: Yes, of course.
Q: Then how does a skyscraper ride a bus to work?
A: Ummm...skyscrapers don't ride busses.
Q: So then how do they get to work?
A: Skyscrapers don't work.
Q: But how can that be? If they don't work, they can't eat, right?
...etc.

The questions are unanswerable because the questioner makes invalid assumptions (without even realizing it) that have no bearing on reality. The questioner is "anthropomorphizing" (i.e., incorrectly envisioning a non-human object as a human) the building.

When we ask questions about the fundamental structures of time and space, we may be imposing human-scale frames of reference on something much more non-human in scale, making for meaningless questions.

As one example, to ask "how something happened" preseumes a flow of time and causality (one thing "causes" a second thing that occurs later in time). But in conditions where time itself is the subject of the questions, this may be an unnatural projection of human-scale assumptions.
edit on 11/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jimjolnir

God is everything and everything is God.

The process of revealing the nature of the unexplained also reveals that we just can't understand the unexplained. We can only think, "Wow, a being who can understand this must be God." But, everything works together and everything coexists and everything is as it is and how we see it and how we think it might someday be.

So, everything is [the intangible essence of] God because everything [intangibly] exists.

top topics

join