It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9-year-old NC girl survives 2 days in car wreckage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I am starting this thread because I think this is a great story of perserverance by a young girl.

COVE CITY, N.C. (AP) — A 9-year-old North Carolina girl pinned in a wrecked car for almost two days ate Pop-Tarts and Gatorade to help her survive the single-car crash that killed her father, police and relatives said on Monday.

My heart breaks for this little girl but I also think she should be proud for having the fortitude to keep it together despite a tragic situation. And having to remain in the area with her dead father. I can only imagine the trauma.

Sgt. David Clifton called the girl "heroic" and that she was able to stay calm despite being trapped in the dark and cold. He says the girl was talkative and is expected to fully recover.

I think this story is inspirational.
I can only imagine the fear of being pinned underneath a car in the dark.

I also try to keep food in the car just for this reason.

I have heard other stories of people crashing and no one knowing for days.

I always say that a surival situation can be a situation of one. It doesn't have to be a shtf scenario.

yahoo

edit on 15-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not to sound too harsh, but this isn't physically that big of a deal...she would have survived without food or water(Gatorade) for those two days.

Two days with your fathers body? Now that could screw you up for life.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Its a bid deal to a kid.. Bless her..!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

No argument there, but to a kid a stubbed toe is a big deal physically.

All I'm saying is that for two days she would have been OK (physically) provided she wasn't injured in the wreck. Another day or two (without food/water) she would not have made it...unless she had the presence of mind to...I mean calories are calories, right? Now you have a survival story!

Kidding aside, I'm glad she made it out of that car in one piece...some adults would have given up under those circumstances.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
To an adult it may not seem a big deal, but she was pinned in a car, alone. Unable to get out and find help, along with her dead father's body.
She still had her wits about her enough to eat and drink something.

How many 9 year olds would be that together?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Children have the capacity for soooo much strength in a variety of areas.
What an amazing Spirit that young girl must have.
The memory of lying with her deceased father may cause problems but as long as she has solid psychological and Spiritual support - she sounds like she will be a remarkable adult.

Thanks for posting its good to see a survival story especially regarding Children.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I always say that a surival situation can be a situation of one. It doesn't have to be a shtf scenario.

I could not agree with you more. It's funny, when I talk about food supplies and BOB bags people assume I am doing so simply because I I am preparing for when the shtf. It's so important to prepare for these little disasters and emergencies.

I remember when Katrina struck, I was watching the news coverage and it was showing the people who managed to cut holes in their attic and get up on their roofs to wait for help. They sat on scalding roofs in 100 degree weather for days with nothing.
What was so hard for me to watch, being a survivalist, was knowing that if they kept a well planned and prepared bug out bag appropriate for their climate it would have saved their lives. It takes 2 minutes to grab you bug out bag, but unprepared with your house filling up with water your lucky if you can remember where the jug of water is.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

I think that is what got me interested in survival, was reading a story of a kid on the way to a camp out who went off the road and crashed and no one saw him. He was pinned in the drivers seat by the dash and was that way for four or five days,living off the potatoes and marshmellows he brought with him for the campfire. The worst part was that the car crashed in a stream, it started raining heavily and the stream started flooding into the car, he spent several days breathing through a straw at the little bit of air at the top of the cabin.
He eventually got himself free by chipping away at the metal with a screwdriver or something and crawled towards the road.

I don't ever want to be in that situation.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You would like the show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That is an amazing story, and an amazing kid!

You know, I was thinking, this girl was really lucky in that she lived in a mild climate. Up north at this time of year she would have froze to death long before dehydration. It happens up here all the time with people getting stranded in their cars during snow storms. This is why they close the Kancamagus highway during heavy snowfall, too many people have died up there on the mountain..

top topics

join