It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newspaperarchive.com - data mining / UFO research issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
As some of you know, I'm always looking for new sources to use for research.

In the last week or so, I've subscribed to Newspaperarchive.com and found it useful to find some contemporaneous press reports of UFO sightings:
newspaperarchive.com...

(I've been using that website to find newspaper articles relevant to the thread on Astronomers and UFOs that I've been working on - plus a few other things. It's been pretty useful - if rather slow).

I'm planning on writing a short thread about this resource, giving some sample images of some UFO newspaper stories (such as the one below from the front page of the Tucson Daily Citizen on 2 February 1950), in the Aliens & UFOs forum:

As part of my subscription, I can invite others to have a 7 day free trial (something that used to be fairly easy to get, but - at least in my own experience - is now harder to obtain).

I'd like to be able to offer that trial in the thread I'm drafting, since I think quite a few members of ATS might like to give searching on that website a whirl without paying the subscription fee. Also, other members might be able to come up with tips for speeding up the (rather slow) process of finding and downloading relevant material on that website.

Unfortunately, it seems that the invitations have to be sent to an email address.

I don't particularly want to invite any interested members to send me their email addresses, particulary in the light of the following in the ATS Terms and Conditions:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

I hope I've been on ATS long enough that people know I'm not here to do any "data mining"...

Any suggestions/ideas?

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 15-11-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Isaac,

I'd love to take you up on the free trial. I have not had the library access I need recently. It's been great to take time off work/study but now I don't have the library access I want. I'd need to time the 7 days so that I could maximise how productivethe time would be.

As for exchanging email addresses, well what do you think mate? I shouldn't say this but how else can members who want to collaborate really do so without exchanging personal data at some point. I have given someone my email address voluntarily on ATS without anyone asking for it... I don't think that is against the rules. It's my private data not ATS's surely....

Just ask people to contact you if they want the access then you haven't broken the rules. If you're a barrister you must be used to finding loopholes.

edit on 16/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

ETA: If you gve them your email address voluntarily they can contact you if they like?
edit on 16/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
you're a barrister you must be used to finding loopholes.

Sure, but I don't want to annoy anyone...

Anyway, in the absence of any objection or alternative proposal, I'll write the relevant thread about research using newspaperarchive.com and include an invitation to email me if anyone wants to use a free trial to participate in that thread (or use that trial for their own research).

Thanks for the response Pimander.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

You probably know this but... Don't post your email address or you'll get loads of spam. Crawlers are good for search engines but they can also be used by unscrupulous types to grab telephone numbers and email addresses. Tell them where they can find the address instead or U2U you. Isn't it on your site somewhere?

If you have a load of material you want to grab off the site and an efficient method let me know. I have an ultra-fast connection.

edit on 17/11/11 by Pimander because: typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a fecking change

ETA: I bet you lot over the pond can only dream of a connection like mine. Uncapped ultra fast connection. Unlimited loverly bandwidth. Anyway, enough gloating and time for a glass of vino.

edit on 17/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
You probably know this but... Don't post your email address or you'll get loads of spam.

Instead of including my email address in a post, I usually just say something like "my email address is just my ATS username at gmail.com"

If you have a load of material you want to grab off the site and an efficient method let me know. I have an ultra-fast connection.

Thanks. One of the reasons for my wanting to post about newspaperarchive.com in a thread on the Aliens & UFOs forum is to see if other members can find more efficient methods of downloading relevant pages. The website seems rather slow to me. (I think it is the website rather than my internet connection which is the limiting factor, but I'm not entirely sure).

Anyway, I'll start writing the thread and post it in a few days time - unless the mods raise any objection or anyone has an alternative idea which avoids the need for anyone to send me an email.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In cast anyone was wondering what happended in relation to this issue, I got an optimistic message from one of the moderators at the time of starting this thread indicating that I'd get a further message when a final decision had been taken.

I haven't anything since.

new topics

top topics

join