It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ground-to-air missiles 'may protect' London 2012 games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has told MPs that ground-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the 2012 Olympic Games in London if deemed operationally necessary. He was asked to confirm this by the former defence secretary Liam Fox. It was Mr Hammond's first appearance at Defence Questions since taking over from Mr Fox. The comments follow reports of concern in the United States about security plans for the Games. The Guardian claimed the US was furious about security plans and wanted to send up to 1,000 of its own people, including 500 FBI agents but the Home Office says it has "full confidence" in the plans.

www.bbc.co.uk...

That really fills you with confidence.

Why would you want to go somewhere where you have to be protected with thousands of police, army, FBI, missiles etc??

I for one will be staying well clear of London during the games.

I personally believe the 2012 games are a complete waste of taxpayers money. Especially when you add the cost of the huge security.

Maybe if we stopped invading countries to make a quick dollar (pound) we wouldnt need all of this security.

We invested (UK government) £500 million on the invasion of Libya...the contracts to rebuild the country are set at £300 BILLION +. Not a bad investment eh

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I think that it is going to be a police world we are going to live in

Maybe if we stopped invading countries to make a quick dollar (pound) we wouldnt need all of this security.

Those invaded countries are far oppressed to do some mission in your countries.

This only your country which is attacking you.

Like it was Nostradamus who gave the order to attack WTC.
edit on 14/11/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"Ground-to-air missiles 'may protect' London 2012 games"

Unless one goes off wrong, boom there goes the pole vaulter!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
"Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has told MPs that ground-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the 2012 Olympic Games in London if deemed operationally necessary."

"operationally necessary" Sounds to me like the UK expect to be involved in operations in 2012. The must have booked cheap flights to Iran early or something.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Will police be competing in the Olympics as well?
I'd like to see some serious scoring for the best country at tasing old ladies, breaking people's jaws, who can electrocute someone to death the fastest, who can break the most ribs with a baton, etc.
I think American police would take a lot of gold medals, lower IQs and all.

What is so special about the 2012 Olympics that security has to be beyond anything we've ever seen for the Olympics prior to 2012?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The Guardian claimed the US was furious about security plans

American arrogance....

Who do they think they are?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Because British Security Services, and every other Britain, is aware that London and other areas of the UK are the home to a relatively high number of potential home grown terrorists who could easily mix in with the crowds.

However, the deployment of SAM's suggests something other than suicide bombers etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What the!?

What are they expecting? Al qaeda in F15's?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has told MPs that ground-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the 2012 Olympic Games in London if deemed operationally necessary. He was asked to confirm this by the former defence secretary Liam Fox. It was Mr Hammond's first appearance at Defence Questions since taking over from Mr Fox. The comments follow reports of concern in the United States about security plans for the Games. The Guardian claimed the US was furious about security plans and wanted to send up to 1,000 of its own people, including 500 FBI agents but the Home Office says it has "full confidence" in the plans.

www.bbc.co.uk...

That really fills you with confidence.

Why would you want to go somewhere where you have to be protected with thousands of police, army, FBI, missiles etc??

I for one will be staying well clear of London during the games.

I personally believe the 2012 games are a complete waste of taxpayers money. Especially when you add the cost of the huge security.

We invested (UK government) £500 million on the invasion of Libya...the contracts to rebuild the country are set at £300 BILLION +. Not a bad investment eh

What a terrible reflection on us all. How did it come to this.
Can we not think of the children.
edit on 14-11-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
why would they not just park a Type 45 in the Thames somewhere?

it's not anything I would be worrying about really, there would have been the same sort of protection in china, greece, australia etc

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

UK: Tell the USA to go # themselves. If any other country in the World can take care of their own security it's the UK.

And let's not forget.. the last terrorist attack at an Olympic event .. happened in ATLANTA.

Although I hope someone does destroy that godawful spiral red observation tower. Ugliest, dumbest thing I've ever seen constructed by Humans.

top topics

join