It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you do this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Ok, I heard about this water filter that is made out of clay. It is like a clay pot that is unglazed on the outside. Some fine sawdust or even wheat flour or something such as this is mixed with the clay. During firing, this substance is burned away inside. This creates more tiny holes withing the entire structure.This clay pot does not have a hole in the bottom of it because you are not using it like a flower pot.

You can pour water inside and it will slowly filter through into another container.

Afterwards I think you can just let the pot sit in the hot sun to kill anything in the residue inside it. You probably must scrub it out with sand or something from time to time so a residue will not build up inside.

These are produced in African countries and in third world countries for water filters for the people. But you can not buy them in the United States.

I was thinking that it might be possible to get something such as this made, by contacting some pottery shop and trying to find someone who could duplicate the process.

But I also would be worried about lead contamination or heavy metals or chemicals or something that might be unsafe in the clay. It would have to be good clay sutable for this.

I was thinking that it might be possible to make one but I don't know if it would be possible using river clay that I just collected myself because I wouldn't have any idea of what it might contain as far as lead or mercury or something.

How would you do this?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Jess, what you are describing is similar to reverse osmosis. The newer submarines use this technology to filter sea water for drinking and other uses. Personnally I have never thought about it before this thread. Can't imagine how it would be hard to do. Maybe research some survival technique websites. As for river mud. No, I think your right there. I wouldn't use it either.

I'll take a look around too and see what I can find.
edit on 13-11-2011 by subcsailor because: .

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well I know the Potters for Peace people have a website. They don't sell the clay water filters though. They teach the natives to make their own I think. I suppose the clay in Africa is more free of chemicals and heavy metals than United States clay would be. Besides that, if you are in the desert and need water and someone offers a solution, you probably wouldn't worry so much if you get some heavy metals or lead. They are just very glad to have clean water at all.

I was thinking that it might be possible to just get a clay pot and use sandpaper or something to scrape away at the outside of it to remove any glaze. Then plug the hole up and just see if water will filter through or not. I just don't know if Terra Cotta pots in the United States would be good or not. I have heard of people cooking bread or cake inside of these pots. So maybe it would be ok.

I have heard of solar stills and also how to make a drip filter but I like the thought of these clay pot filters because they do sound like they'd work well if made properly.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Ok Jess found something. And you are not going to believe this. You need cow manure too!!!! Oh yeah that's right.

Any way here is a link..........Find some clay, straw and a happy cow

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by subcsailor
reply to post by jessieg

Jess, what you are describing is similar to reverse osmosis. The newer submarines use this technology to filter sea water for drinking and other uses. Personnally I have never thought about it before this thread. Can't imagine how it would be hard to do. Maybe research some survival technique websites. As for river mud. No, I think your right there. I wouldn't use it either.

I'll take a look around too and see what I can find.
edit on 13-11-2011 by subcsailor because: .

If only I could have been privileged to have been on a boat with a reverse osmosis water system. Ah the dream of no more distiller break downs and no showers for 4-5 days until they get get it back up and running....

On Topic:
I am not sure about the clay pot type of filtration you are taliking about but the first thing that came to mind when I read your thread was "slow sand filtration", which is a sustainable method of water purification for a survivalist in a static survival situation.

This sight is a good place to start the investigation into slow sand filtration

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by subcsailor
reply to post by jessieg

Ok Jess found something. And you are not going to believe this. You need cow manure too!!!! Oh yeah that's right.

Any way here is a link..........Find some clay, straw and a happy cow

Very interesting, I may have something to do with my sunday afterall....now where did I leave that cow manure.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Miley........sent you a U2U

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I wouldn't use a filter for purification. Maybe decontamination, but bleach or boiling it is so much easier than trying to make a filter that can do that for you.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by jessieg

I wouldn't use a filter for purification. Maybe decontamination, but bleach or boiling it is so much easier than trying to make a filter that can do that for you.

Good point, although a low level filter as described here will remove particulate it may not remove the nasty bugs that may also be in the water, so a good boiling may be wise after the filtration.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

the only sollution is to get on the net and do a lot of research. research were the most suitable clay can be found, research the correct way to fabricate this filter and then reasearch who the best clay worker would be for the job

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I think this is along the line of what you are looking for: www.lehmans.com...

top topics

join