It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gone But Not Forgotten: In Memory of (Your Loved One Here)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you have a loved one that has passed on to the other side, please share with us. Pets are also okay too if you have lost a pet that you would like to remember. Let's remember and honor our loved ones that have passed onto the other side, or as the dream that I had about my dad showed me, gotten on the big bus and moved to heaven.

I'll start, and I hope that some of you will join in. First name only unless you feel comfortable using their full name.

This is my dad, Lyle. I called him Daddy, because that's what he wanted us to call him. He was born in 1936 and passed away in 2009 at the age of 73. I couldn't have imagined having a more wonderful father. He wasn't perfect, but he was perfect to me. I am the youngest of four children. When I was a year and a half, my mother took off with another man and left us, not only my dad but us four children as well. The oldest of us was 9. So, here was my dad raising four children under the age of 10 alone. He lived in a small town in Kansas and all of his family and my mom's family lived a 1,000 miles away. He was literally alone! He didn't remarry until I was 13, so he had alot of hard and lonely years. I didn't even meet my mom until I was 12. My dad was given custody in the divorce and she did not try to contact us at all. She didn't pay child support, so my dad had no financial assistance in raising us. He had an upholstery and shoe repair shop and also a small laundrymat, and sold nutrition supplements on the side. He never got rich, but managed to support us and work from his shop at home so that he could be with us and didn't have to pay a sitter.

My dad was very loving, gentle and kind, and the most forgiving soul that I have ever known. On my best day, I can only strive to be the person that he was. He was my mom and dad all rolled into one, and when I lost him I felt like I lost both of my parents at the same time. I have only good memories of him. He sacrificed so much for us children, and looking back I don't know how he did it! Trust me, we were brats! Sometimes I think he must've had the patience of a saint! lol . He was full of wisdom and taught me so much that comes back to me now. When it is my turn to move on, after I see Jesus, I hope that it is my dad that I see next. I can just picture him standing there holding his little dog Roofy, and watching me walk towards him. The picture below is my dad with Roofy (short for Roofus).

Lyle M. - 1936-2009
Beloved father & grandfather, son & brother

Please share your story about your loved one!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I memory of my friend :Joseph Ashley

Shipmates says farewell to fallen USS San Francisco sailor Joseph Ashley January 13, 2005 Story by Ken Wetmore The remains of Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph Allen Ashley will be flown to his hometown of Akron, Ohio on Friday. The 24-year-old died Sunday from injuries sustained a day before when the U.S.S. San Francisco ran aground about 350 miles south of Guam during a submerged operation. Today, Petty Officer Ashley's shipmates and friends on Guam gathered at Big Navy's base chapel to say goodbye. The chapel was packed - standing room only, according to Navy officials, who provided KUAM News with a tape containing portions of the service. We were also able to interview some of Petty Officer Ashley's shipmates. You may never have met petty Joseph Ashley, but if you had you would have liked him - a lot. That is the unanimous feeling from the shipmates of Petty Officer Ashley we spoke with today. Shipmates like Lieutenant Junior Grade Josh Chisholm, who is a chemistry/radiological assistant aboard the U.S.S. San Francisco. He remembered of his friend, "He always brought a smile to everyone's face when he was around just positive upbeat attitude and very competent individual. As an officer standing watch, for us he was someone you knew you could trust who you knew would do the right thing." Command Master Chief Bill Cramer is the senior enlisted officer aboard the San Francisco, and says he and Petty Officer Ashley immediately bonded, as they are both from Ohio. "He loved being on the San Francisco," Cramer said, "he loved being a country boy as he put, his nickname was 'General Cooter' on board the ship." During today's memorial service, it was Petty Officer Ashley's nickname, derived from the TV show "The Duke's of Hazzard" and his love of all things southern that brought laughter through the tears. Commander Kevin Mooney, captain of the San Francisco, delivered Ashley's eulogy at today's service, recalling a time when he was using an analogy during a pep talk to the crew. In the analogy, he likened himself to a general, to which the sailors quickly told their commander that there was already a general aboard the San Francisco. He recalled, "That revelation began a special relationship between Petty Officer Ashley and me. He soon became the only sailor on board who did not address me as 'captain'. Instead, we simply addressed each other as 'general'." Commander Mooney said Petty Officer Ashley lived every day to the fullest and left a legacy of dedicated service any man could be proud of. "In closing, I will now give my last order to Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph Allen Ashley - sailor, rest your oars," he tearfully announced. As for Petty Officer Ashley's shipmates, the crash and the loss of a friend and comrade has not caused them to rest their oars. Command Master Chief Cramer says the day after the San Francisco limped back into port, most of his sailors mustered on the pier even though they weren't required to, ready to go back to work. He says many of the men who were thinking of getting out of the Navy have decided to stay a while longer because of the bond forged through the ordeal. When asked if he could speculate what Petty Office Ashley would say about the San Francisco's mission, if he could know what happened, he immediately responded. "Get'er done," said Cramer of Ashley's attitude and work ethic. "That's what he would say...get'er done."

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Joseph. What a hero!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. My Dad Ken passed away in July last year and especially now, just past Mum's birthday, he's on my mind more than most days. He was a great man, who served his country in the Navy for eight years then went on to serve as a police constable for a while before we emigrated. Then he put himself through night school to qualify as an engineer and worked hard -- as Mum did -- to raise me and my siblings and give us a good home.

We love you, Dad.

But there's another. My maternal Grandfather, Tom. He served in the Merchant Navy and one day during World War 2 he went off down the road to go to his ship on yet another voyage, not even knowing exactly where it would take him as those details were secret until they were at sea. His ship was being used to carry troops to and from war zones and so he only knew that he'd be going into danger, but he still went anyway.

My Mum told me how she stood there by the garden gate of their small home that autumn morning, watching her Dad walking away down the road and hoping and praying he'd come home safe like he always had before.

This time his ship went to north Africa to pick up some troops and take them back to the UK. They sailed in convoy all the way through the Mediterranean without incident, but a couple of hundred miles off the coast of Portugal, they were hit by torpedoes from a German Navy U-boat.

My Grandad was a cook and he was down in the galleys when the torpedoes hit. He went down with the ship, along with nearly 100 of his shipmates and the troops that were on board. The rest survived to tell the tale.

This happened on November 14, 1942, just three days after my (future) mother's 14th birthday.

This is one of the many reasons that November 11 is so important to me. It's my Mum's birthday, but it's also when I recall the grandfather I was never to meet, and also my uncles and aunts who were older than Mum (as she was the youngest) and who were all in the services. They all survived and I'm grateful for that, because they helped their younger sister and their mother (my Gran) as they tried to keep going in the darkest days when their lovely town was being bombed.

I don't blame the German U-boat sailors. How can I? Only one of them survived when their U-boat was attacked by allied ships a couple of years later. They also suffered and so did their families.

But Grandad Tom, though I never had the chance to meet you, I want to thank you for your love for your family, for my Mum when she was just a girl, for loving your country so much that you were willing to give your life if that would help to end the war...

Thank you, Grandad Tom.

Michael.

edit on 12/11/11 by JustMike because: just a typo

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I am the last of my family still alive. I've lost everything a person can lose in one lifetime, except a child, I'm afraid to have children of my own because I'll probably lose them too. The causes of the losses I've endured are part of the reason I'm on this site and do what I do to fight the NWO agendas.

I'm sorry for all of your losses, I know what it's like to feel such loss. Sometimes I think I'm going to wake up from my nightmare, but I never do.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hi Mike. Thanks so much for sharing the awesome story about your dad Ken, and your grandad Tom. It sounds like you had a wonderful dad and grandad, and what a legacy they left for your family! Both of their services to their country is really something special, and especially your grandad making the ultimate sacrifice for his country! Also, you and I have something in common. My mom's birthday is on November 11th too!
That's kind of a neat coincidence! (she is back in my life and we see each other once in a while). Please tell your mum happy belated birthday!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Thank you for sharing! That is absolutely heartbreaking! Believe me life is so hard sometimes if not most times, and it seems that some people have to suffer way more than their share! How old are you? Just wondering, because it would be so awesome to carry on your family name and have a child. I think that would be a great way to honor your loved ones, especially since you are one of the last left. I too live in fear of losing those that I love. I think that it is the worst pain that a person can suffer. I know that I will see them again, but the parting is so very sad and difficult. The memories live on though, and that is something that you will always have! Noone can take that away from you! I'm sure that your loved ones are looking down on you, and they want you to live your life to the fullest and be happy!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by britelite1971

Thank you... My other grandad was a fireman in London during WWII. Thankfully, he survived it all somehow, and lived to be almost 96 years old.

I recall when Grandad Fred had his 90th birthday and I called him to wish him many happy returns for the day, and after we'd chatted a while he said, "You know, it's a very interesting fact -- but very few people die when they're ninety."

"Really, Grandad?" says I, "How's that?"

"Because very few people live to be ninety!"

He was quite a character. He used to regale us with stories of what London was like when he was a little boy -- before WW1 started in 1914 and then during those times. (He used to sneak out of school quite a lot, but for all that he was the smartest person I ever knew.) He was even able to recall the news of the Titanic sinking in 1912.

Miss you too, Grandad Fred...

And Britelite, so your Mum's an 11/11 Scorpio like mine! Isn't synchronicity interesting? (My Dad was a scorpio too.)

Mike

edit on 12/11/11 by JustMike because: of a typo. They afflict my computer keyboard with monotonous regularity and I don't know why.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It sounds like you come from a remarkable family! I love your Grandad Fred's sense of humor!
It sounds like you miss him very much! The generation of our parents and especially our grandparents was and is just so wise in every way! I hope that we are not losing that wisdom that they have passed on as the generations go by. It is so valuable!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I lost my son on April 26, 2006. His name was going to be Tyler. He was my daughters twin. Both our previous children were c-section and for some stupid reason we decided to give natural child birth a try. When my wifes water broke we packed up and headed to the hospital to eagerly await our newborn twins. After about 18you hours it was time. Our daughter was born around midnight. It was an amazing experience finally watching a child of mine being born. I couldn't be wait to see it again. Just as I was feeling immeasurable happiness for the first birth, I was quickly slapped down by the look of urgency in the doctors face. Something isnt right, I could tell. After a frantic attemp by the doctor to reposition Tyler and get him out, my wife was rushed to the OR and orepped for emergency c-section. AHalf hour later Tyler was out. A placental rupture had occurred while delivering our daughter. Tyler had went without oxygen for too long. He was placed on life support but never recovered. After extensive testing for brain activity, my wife and I had to make the hardest decision of our life. To take him off life support. We held him in our arms as he took his last assisted breath.

So we had a hard time for quite a while. How could we celebrate our new daughter when we just lost our son?How could we grieve for our son when we had a beatiful baby girl at home? Every day I think of my son. Every day. We are doing better now, but can't help but think, why didnt we just get another c-section. That is a decision we will live the rest of our lives regretting. Forgive any spelling errors as I am crying my eyes out as I write this.
edit on 12-11-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Mate, if I could reach out and hug you right now I would. We lost our first one before she was full term and it was the most awful day of my life and my wife's too. Worse for her, really. Had to be. I cannot even imagine.

They say "time heals" but with things like this, I think it's more like "time numbs". After more than 30 years I still feel that crushing sadness for the loss of what might have been, and at the same time I count my blessings that we had two other children and they were both perfectly okay. So, we're blessed. In fact, I feel more blessed because of what we lost.

Hugs to you, mate.

Mike
edit on 12/11/11 by JustMike because: .

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Reading your story gave me the chills and almost made me cry along with you. I am so sorry for your loss of little Tyler! I cannot even began to imagine how heartbreaking it is to lose a child! I think that only a parent who has lost one can imagine how painful it is. Please do not blame yourselves for your loss of Tyler. We all do what we think is best at the time, and have no way of knowing what the outcome will be. Also, I am sure that your doctors told you that you would be fine to try a natural birth and that there was no reason to worry. If they had warned you that something could go wrong I'm sure you would have went with the c-section. Also, I know that you've probably heard this too many times, but Tyler truelly is in a better place. For those that pass on ahead of us, they are wonderfully happy and at peace and have no more pain. It is hard and heartwrenching for us though because we miss them terribly and grieve the loss of them. They seem so far away, and their loss just leaves a big hole in our hearts. You will see your baby boy again one day though, and he will be very glad to see you! My heart goes out to you and your wife, and your prescious daughter.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Thanks Mike. I am sorry for your loss as well. And your right, time numbs. Nothing can heal these types of wounds.. Feels good to let it all out from time to time. Thank you to the Op and sorry for your loss.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Thank you for sharing! That is absolutely heartbreaking! Believe me life is so hard sometimes if not most times, and it seems that some people have to suffer way more than their share! How old are you? Just wondering, because it would be so awesome to carry on your family name and have a child. I think that would be a great way to honor your loved ones, especially since you are one of the last left. I too live in fear of losing those that I love. I think that it is the worst pain that a person can suffer. I know that I will see them again, but the parting is so very sad and difficult. The memories live on though, and that is something that you will always have! Noone can take that away from you! I'm sure that your loved ones are looking down on you, and they want you to live your life to the fullest and be happy!

I'm in my late 30s, lost my father when I was 28, my mother when I was 33. They weren't that old, just about 65 when they passed, and they didn't die peacefully which just adds salt to the wounded memories. No grandparents alive, no brothers or sisters. I've lost unborn children too, it seems I can't even have a child if I wanted.

It is the worst pain someone can endure, and I too know I'll see them again in another reality after my experience in this one, but it doesn't make the present time that passes go by any easier. You know what I mean I'm sure.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Dear Bob,
It never gets easier.... You were my everything. You still are.
Say hi to Sue for me, and if Maude is there, tell her I wish my memories were stronger. Its been so long...
I'm glad that John is with you now, though I'm sorry things didn't go as planned before he went. You understand. Its out of my hands.

I forgive you for going without me, as long as you forgive me for not being there when you went.
All my love ~ Ð

He's looking for that home, and I hope he finds it
But I'd trade all my tomorrows, for one single yesterday
To be holdin' Bobby's body next to mine....

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose
Nothing. And thats all that Bobby left me
but feeling good was easy Lord, when he sang the blues
and feeling good was good enough for me.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Hi Jibby. Wow! What a young age to lose your parents! It must've been so hard for you! It's hard to lose them young. I know many people that are 20 or 30 years older than me and their parents are still alive. It just seems so unfair to lose them at such a young age as we all think that we should have our parents around until we are getting old. I know what it's like to have a loved one die a death that is not peaceful, as my dad suffered terribly and it was heartwrenching to watch, but yet you can't "look away" so to speak because you know that your time left with them is short and you don't want to miss a minute left with them. I hope that you have someone in your life to love and that loves you back. I'm guessing from your avatar that you are a man. Either way, I hope that you have someone in your life that loves you. I don't know what your experience has been but watching my dad die a little more every day changed me. I am not at peace as much as I once was and deal with things that I didn't deal with before. It completely changes a person, and I know you know that. As you said, even knowing that you will see them again doesn't make it all better.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Hi. I am very sorry to hear of your loss of Bobby! What a beautiful poem that you wrote, and it sounds like you miss him very much! We would love to hear about Bobby and who he was if you feel like sharing. If not, it is okay. From experience, I know that there are times that it is healing to talk about the loved ones we have lost, and then there are other times that it is just too hard to talk about. Either way, God bless and I know that Bobby will be waiting on you when you get to heaven!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by britelite1971

The song is Janis Joplin (thats why I included the video) - it was always my song to him.

Maude was my grandmother. I lost her to a stroke when I was 12 (1986) - my first and only loss prior to the millennium. I always thought she was old but in hindsight she died at a young 58 (my mother has since surpassed that and is so young in my eyes).

In the last 10 years... (6 actually)

Sue was my friend - Bob was her husband - Sue passed when COPD finally got her, and with shared pains, Bob became my best friend. Over time it developed into more - then sadly he caught pnuemonia and left me... John was his best friend and followed shortly thereafter...

I also lost my Uncle Rich to pnuemonia, he was young too, only 54. Quite an amazing man, and situation. He was a Vietnam veteran, who never had anything but kind words for anyone. For some unknown reason, when he was just about to turn 50, his esophagus blew up in his chest. The doctors say he's only the 2nd person it ever happened to, and only one to survive it. For the next 3 years he had multiple surgeries in an attempt to stretch his stomache to his throat and create a new one. It worked!

But it must have been his time.. he was well on his way, and almost fully recoved when the pnuemonia got him.

I won't remember the 2000's in a good way. I lost a lot of people... strangely, almost all to breathing issues.. For example, there was another uncle whom I did not get along with, but worth mentioning. Sam was also a veteran who did not come back from Vietnam in as good of shape as Rich did... he came back with severe emotional problems which probably would be attributed to PTSD today. He became an alcoholic which also caused him severe liver problems. We always believed the alcohol would be what took him down. One night he got drunk and decided to paint his apartment. He failed to open any windows, and died when he passed out, from paint inhalation.....(darwin award? sorry) he was also young - I believe he was just past 50 years, 52 at most.

Rich, Sam, and Sue all went within a year of each other. Bob left me just over a year ago now...

I will always miss Bob the most. He understood me in a way no one ever could... and was there for me at my lowest point.
My only regret is how long I resisted his attempts to progress the relationship... I wasted a lot of time being "just friends". We could've had years together, instead we only had months.
Now I just hope he knows, and that I told him enough - How good he was to me and for me - and how much I truly loved him.

I suppose at this point I just have to get used to the losses.... people don't get any younger, and the older I get, the more likely they are to go....

I understand, and I can be ok with it.... but.... its not quite a fear, but definitely an anxiety of sorts. My grandmother had 9 children, so I have (my mother), 5 aunts and 1 uncle left... the 2 uncles who passed were among the youngest... so yeah... I worry. Everytime the phone rings.

Sorry if this is all TMI - I hesitated to post it but I get the reason for your thread. Its good therapy to talk about it, so what the hell. I'm talking about it.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I will always miss Bob the most. He understood me in a way no one ever could... and was there for me at my lowest point.
My only regret is how long I resisted his attempts to progress the relationship... I wasted a lot of time being "just friends". We could've had years together, instead we only had months.
Now I just hope he knows, and that I told him enough - How good he was to me and for me - and how much I truly loved him.

I suppose at this point I just have to get used to the losses.... people don't get any younger, and the older I get, the more likely they are to go....

I understand, and I can be ok with it.... but.... its not quite a fear, but definitely an anxiety of sorts. My grandmother had 9 children, so I have (my mother), 5 aunts and 1 uncle left... the 2 uncles who passed were among the youngest... so yeah... I worry. Everytime the phone rings.

Sorry if this is all TMI - I hesitated to post it but I get the reason for your thread. Its good therapy to talk about it, so what the hell. I'm talking about it.

Hi. I am so glad that you decided to share, and it is not TMI! It is healing to talk about our losses, I agree. I think that it also feels good to remember and honor those that we've lost, that we once loved and that we still love. And honestly, I think that they know when we do. I once read a post from a lady that said she could communicate with angels, and she said that sometimes the angels will escort our loved ones into the earthly dimension to be with us and when it is time then they escort them back out. I truly beieve this and think that anyone that has ever felt the presence of their lost loved one would believe it also.

I am so very sorry to hear about all of your losses and especially about Bob. It sounds like he was really something special and that the two of you cared very much for each other. I'm not psychic, but I am a very open person and sometimes I get feelings about things, and I have this very strong feeling that Bob cared for you very deeply. I truly think that you will see him again one day and that he will be waiting for you when that time comes. I think that if Bob could tell you something it would be that he loves you and not to worry over the time lost. Those things that we worry about on this earth don't matter anymore to those who have passed on, and one day the two of you will have an eternity together! I can't imagine suffering all of the losses that you have and my heart goes out to you!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Stars and flags for such a selfless thread. It is refreshing. I have to say I am a bit taken back now as I start to post because I have a list that Is somewhat stark. I will start with my real father, who I never knew. I was 4 when he passed and have very faint memory of him. The next memory of loss was my youngest cousin. He was 7 and drowned in the Oakland Estuary in Califonia (1962 ) on a make shift raft. My Grand Father in ( 1970 ) My real uncle passed away in (1976 ) my step uncle who was a fabulous person passed in ( 1981 ) My brother followed in ( 1985 ) He was my guardian angel as a child. My daughter ( one of them ) in 1990 a drunk took her. My mother in ( 2002 ) and Grand Mother in ( 2008 ) For personal reasons I don't post their pictures.

Last but not leaste by friend of 10 years "Boris" my dog passed 4 nights ago and I am still in shock and tears..

I am sorry for all those who have lost a living friend or family in this thread or in life period. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join