It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons to be learned from 2000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
When people thinking of the predictions of 2000 they usually think about Y2K. That was only 1 of many predictions for 2000.

The biggest doom and gloom was the 5-5-2000 prediction. If you do not recall that prediction it may interest you to read the following.

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The idea back then was that the alignment of the planets would cause everything from melting icecaps to wedgies. There was no limit to the odd claims that obviously were all failures (except for the wedgies).

Since nothing happened after all of the dire predictions and since hardly a soul thinks about 2000 today we may be able to predict what will happen with all of the 2012 predictions.

All of these books and lectures and forum postings will be for naught. The books will end in land fills and recycling centers. Forums will move the material to archives. 2012 will be forgotten.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there is a difference between the 2000 claims and 2012.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

More links about the alignment that did absolutely nothing.
www.thewildrose.net...
revelation13.net...
www.tkcs-collins.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
While looking up material on the 5-5-2000 alignment I bumped into this site that talksabout people faking alignments for 2012.

www.brighthub.com...

Doomsayers have reported that the next planet alignment will occur on December 21, 2012. End of world predictions have accompanied this supposed alignment, strengthened in part by the Mayan calendar ending in 2012. Even though there is no planetary alignment in 2012, this hasn't stopped unscrupulous individuals from cashing in with books and web sites proclaiming the end of the world and selling survival kits.

Well at least the hoaxers have learned lessons from 2000.

Any other lessons to be learned? Are my predictions for 2012 on the mark or way off? I'd like to hear.
edit on Sat Nov 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I remember the 5/5 2000, hype as well as the Y2K hype. If I'm not mistaken there was one for 2003 as well

This is why I have a hard time digesting this 2012 baloney. When 2012 comes and passes, people will then look at the Peruvian tablets of mystery and claim 2015 is the next cataclysm and awakening

edit on 12-11-2011 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

The 2003 claim had to do with Mars being so close to Earth. I remember watching Mars rise over the St Lawrence as Minke whales played in the waters immediately in front of us. There was a 2003 believer headed to a safe place he told me because he said, "Mars is going to wrench out the guts of the Earth."

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There were also calls in 2000 for the second coming.

2000 was also the year in which there was a lot of numerology claims about whatever numerologists talk about. It had to do with the start of another millennium and was rather fanciful.

Seems that just about everything but Y2K is forgotten.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's an awkward thing to never know which end of the moral we're on in "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". The boy or the villagers.

Namaste

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It was predicted that Mesian will arrive at 2000 , But in return , George W. Bush arrived.

Nothing is going to happen for we are creatures who build our future.

2000 , 2012 , Apocalypse are theories who some people make these orders called prophesies. I call them the puppeteers.

The fact is that Nostradamus was a puppeteer and George W. Bush was a puppet.

And people who seek spiritual facts , think that puppeteer was a prophet. They are the ones who go to the fronts and fight in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The lowest floor of the pyramid.

S&F.

ETA : It is very wise of you referring history to learn from it. Keep up the good work.
edit on 12/11/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

With the way things are going, we'll most likely be in WW3 by December 2012

Not Spiritual Enlightenment I'm afraid...

edit on 12-11-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

There are many ideas about 2012 from its nothing to its something really big. In this case you suggest a world wide conflict. Is there something about 2000 and the now forgotten predictions that can tell us about what we can expect in 2012?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I know what will happen in 2012, the earth will keep spinning

Seriously though a lot of people are starting to think a pole shift?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This time it's different... The signs are much more clear...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatRevelation

I am curious about which signs are clearer. Could you please list a few for people to consider.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I read the first two lines, star and flagged this thread then continued reading.

I think there is some sort of human fixation on a single catastrophic, globe affecting event that will change life as we know it forever. What I believe the reasons behind it are, is that everybody has an element within their life they'd like to change and see this great catastrophe as the catalyst.

2012; whether it's no more mortgage payments or a spiritual awakening; this is the event for you!

I believe that the psychology behind looking forward to a future event and being excited about it is instrumental to the continuation of existence (also speaking from personal experience/analysis).

For example if you don't have much to look forward to, ie: a holiday, catching up with an old friend, a sporting event, party etc. then what DO you have? What motivates you to continue your existence?

I think the 2012 phenomena fills that gap in for a lot of people. Not to say that everything involved and mentioned is bollocks but it seems to have amalgamated in to a single event of wonder, mystery and overall excitement.

My two cents

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

I am curious about which signs are clearer. Could you please list a few for people to consider.

Yes, I can.

The movie "2012" was internationally released on November 13, 2009.

The movie raised awareness about the Mayan prophecies for 2012, all around the world. The topic of the "end of the world" became mainstream.

- The movie "2012" was released in November 13, 2009, a Friday. Then we had the first weekend of the movie. During the weekend the stock market is closed. When the stock market re-opened on the Monday, November 16, 2009, the S&P 500 index finished the day at 1,109 points. At 1.109 points, it means that the S&P 500 was 66.6% above the 15-year bottom of 666 points reached in March 2009 (just 8 months earlier). The following day, November 17, 2009, the S&P 500 finished the day almost unchanged (what is very rare), at 1,110 points. And in the following day, November 18, 2009, the S&P 500 fell back 1 point, to close at 1109 points. A three day behavior like that had never happened before. And never happened again after those 3 days.

- On December 9, 2009, the Norwegian spiral anomaly of 2009 appeared in the night sky over Norway. It was visible from, and photographed from, northern Norway and Sweden. The spiral consisted of a blue beam of light with a greyish spiral emanating from one end of it. The light could be seen in all of Trøndelag to the south and all across the three northern counties which compose Northern Norway, as well as from Northern Sweden and it lasted for 2–3 minutes.

- On January 12, 2010, a catastrophic magnitude 7.0 earthquake happened in Haiti, and killed an estimated 316,000 people.

- On 27 February 2010, a powerful magnitude 8.8 earthquake occurred off the coast of central Chile. It ranks as the sixth largest earthquake ever to be recorded by a seismograph.

- On April 2010, the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull caused enormous disruption to air travel across western and northern Europe, because of ash clouds.

- During the soccer World Cup 2010 in South Africa, humanity might witness, for the first time, undisputable evidence of a "psychic" animal. The little octopus named "Paul", correctly predicted the results of EIGHT matches, including the final match. There is no explanation for this fact other than that of the octopus having psychic powers. There was no fraud, the octopus predicted unlikely results (such as Germany losing a match to Serbia), and even after receiving worldwide media attention, the octopus continued to make accurate predictions. Never before in the history of humanity, there was a so strong evidence of prophetic powers from a human or an animal. Paul, the octopus, completely humiliated "science", that couldn't offer any rational explanation.

- On March 2011, a powerful magnitude 9.0 earthquake occurred off the coast of Japan. It had the same magnitude of the fourth largest earthquake ever to be recorded by a seismograph (in Kamchatka, Russia, 1952). The quake caused a tsunami that killed more than 15,000 people, and damaged a nuclear power plant, causing a nuclear crisis that is still ongoing.

- For the first time in history, the USA was downgraded from the AAA credit rating by a credit rating agency.

- For the first time in a generation, the city of New York (the most famous city in the world, host to the United Nations headquarters) was shaked by an earthquake. The residents were very scared, because they had never experienced an earthquake in their lives.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The movie raised awareness about the Mayan prophecies for 2012, all around the world. The topic of the "end of the world" became mainstream.

One of the main problems here is that are no Mayan prophecies about 2012. The movie suggests that there are. The movie furthers the hoax that the Mayans made 2012 predictions. They did not. 2012 is a hoax fabricated in modern times.

The "Norwegian spiral" was a failed ICBM launched by Russia over the White Sea.

The Haitian quake was most noteworthy because it happened in an area where poor construction techniques killed many people. It seems that the number of dead was not as large as previously thought. It may be as low as 45,000. Regardless of the number of deaths it is only 1 of many 7+ quakes that happen each year. Quakes that are 7 or larger happen several times a year. Quakes happen. They happen all of the time. There are over a million a year. A 6 or larger happens about every other day.

The volcanic eruption in Iceland was only 1 of many eruptions that year. It was not a big eruption. It was simply an eruption that caused problems for air travel. Volcanic activity is not up. It has been fairly constant over the last 50 years.

What do other people think about these signs? I see them as being sort of the normal happenings in the world.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
We're in for surprises ,but the nature of surprises in itself implies that we can't really predict
what exactly will happen or when but we may have some ideas about what might happen.

Granted ,there was lots of hype in and around the year 2000 and nothing much seemed
to have happened back then. In Iceland there was a volcanic eruption at the time but that's about it.
Subtle things did occur. At least as far as I can remember. Can't speak for others on this.

But people have a right to get excited about the future and predictions if they choose to
and while nothing much may appear to happen the emotions and anticipations still be justified
in that they themselves could be inspirations for many things we'd prefer to see in our world.

Your prediction of the predictions being false also is a prediction and may thus also be false.
edit on 18/11/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to fix

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I recently learned an interesting lesson. Not really sure I've got this quite right so I am tossing it out there.

I think that one of the reasons that the 2012 hoaxers get away with so much misrepresentation is that the people believing them make the same sort of faulty logical steps. Let me provide an example.

It is very common in sportscasting to talk about hang time. This is supposed to be where some basketball players can "hang" longer in the air than others.

As can be seen at this link the time in the air is only a function of the initial vertical velocity of the player.
www.real-world-physics-problems.com...

There are people that think some players can manage to "hang in the air."
ezinearticles.com...?&id=1766712

Anyone that watches basketball has seen this (probably many times). Michael Jordan (or another favorite player) is running full speed down court, he jumps, soaring through the air for a tremendous slam dunk. And while he is doing it, the announcers are heaping praise on him for his "amazing hang time". The way they make it sound, he just stays up in the air while other players jump in their attempts to block the shot and fall back to earth as they watch him sail on.

There are people that believe our minds can overrule the laws of physics. They believe in hang time, telekinesis, and being "thrown clear" of an accident.

In the example people are talked into believing in hang time by the sportscasters even though it does not happen. My guess is that the people buying into this notion of hang time make similar logical mistakes. They might think that if they jump just as an elevator hits bottom they can walk away unscathed.

In the 2012 arena these are people that might think anything can happen. So if you propose that there might be a planet hiding in the Earth's shadow they might buy into it. Why? Well because anything is possible would be their mantra.

The key here I think is that the hoaxers have latched onto people that cannot understand the logical failures that are being shown to them and that makes the logical failures effectively invisible.

join