It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Controlling Siri with Your Voice, You Can Use Your Brainwaves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Oh hackers, is there anything you can't do? Not content with mere voice commands for their iPhones, these brainiacs have come up with a way to control it with their minds. Astonishingly, it actually works.

Project Black Mirror is in the very early stages of development—these two guys named Ollie and Josh just came up with the idea over Halloween weekend, but holy crap they already have a working prototype. Here's how it works, from their blog:

GIZMOTO.COM

This technology has been in use for a long time. There is even a gaming system that you can buy, from amazon.c om and other places which uses this technology.

Here is a similar concepte being desplayed at Ted: link.

And here is one more, similar device that actually sees what you think: link.

Of course the breakthroughs in medicine using this equipment would be amazing freeing disabled people held captive in their minds... but more likely to be seen in video games and was really develpoed by the military (DARPA), of course.

Combine this with exosuits and no one will ever need a wheelchair again. Combine with artificial limbs and no one is disabled. DARPA.

This is a DARPA project: link.

And to end at the beginning, all this technology... is courtosey of DARPA, even SIRI: link.

Just imagine...

edit on 11-11-2011 by pianopraze because: added video of creators demostrating device

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
the question is, do we need this fast developement ? because the use of animals in this way may cause harm to our spiritual life.

edit on 11-11-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Let's not derail the thread on the first reply post, shall we? You posted the reply within 10 minutes of the thread opening - meaning I don't think you even bothered reading the materials. So whether we need to "fast track" the tech or not would depend on a real understanding of the tech and its applications. And understanding of the tech and its potential applications is the reason for the thread in the first place.

S&F to a worthy topic and thread with good sources and materials. I will look forward to replying once I have had the chance to go through the materials properly.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think that is actually pretty cool, I would love to play that game. I can see this being used as a type of treatment for people who suffer from different stress/anxiety issues. imagine an interface to support relaxation or even recreating fears that you can guage a response on and eventually learn to control it. Ha! Image a wife thinks her husband is cheating on her, making lie detector software might be possible.

The monkey is kind of freaky, something tells me there are a thousand wires poking out of an exposed brain right behind that metal thing. I dont agree with that but the future of artificial limbs looks promising. And remote controlled killer robots.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

no derailing attempt here. for me, this is the most important point. what do you prefer ? being mortal and human or immortal and a monster ?
btw, for this experiment, there would have been hundreds of volunteers avaible, that lost their limbs.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Thanks for derailing my thread

Troll success achieved

This was a topic and technologies I wanted to have discussed and now people are avoiding it.

There are plenty of threads on that topic to rant all you want. This technology is important, and now is in our hands so we can develop it without billions in Government funding. You can buy a 200 dollar phone and have access to what took billions and develop technologies to help people.
edit on 11-11-2011 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
the question is, do we need this fast developement ? because the use of animals in this way may cause harm to our spiritual life.

Hahaha yeeeaah I'm sure thats whats happening.

=================================

Meanwhile back on topic;

This is the start of merging man with machine, we will be able to communicate with machines instantly. No more code, no more typing, no delay in a voice command.

Instantaneous action through thoughts...

Watch what you think, they can read your mind. Be wary of the self proclaimed futurist/transhumanists imo.

Transhumanism is a fancy term for Eugenics.

Will you merge and become Human 2.0?
We will Question what it is to be Human.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Ty Lysergic

Yes I agree. Transhumanism is a very dangerous tipic. Kurzweill and his muli-trillionair buddies are pushing "the Singularity" merging man and machine.

They are pushing it through pop culture like this video:

And in video games such as:

That is the true meaning when you see H3: Transhumanism IS Eugenics.

One where the rich become gods and we become slaves. All the more important we see the tools we have in our hands without billions.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I wonder personally if we shouldnt be improving tech with biological parts rather then trying to improve our biological parts (which have evolved over many millennia to be pretty good at their job) Machines would especially benefit from the bodies ability to self repair, although you could leave out the whole biological ageing bit.

The one bit of my body I would really like to replace with some kind of tech is my teeth. damn stupid things, they were out from just using as they were meant and leave you in excruciating pain as they do it

How about a car with some kind of biological heart to pump around the coolant.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Piano, lets go on, this is an awesome OP with great sources and content.
I think its great that we have avenues of tech development that are not controlled
by the tech giants! That is an amazing accomplishment, this needs to get spread like
wildfire!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

You apparently didn't understand my comment - so I will briefly elaborate.

The subject being discussed is the emerging science and application of brainwave controlled technology. Seems like a worthy subject - in fact, you'll find people who find this remarkable, disconcerting, or both. It is the major focus of the thread and information presented.

To derail a thread means to take an very narrow element of the subject matter and direct the discussion on this only. It is particularly detrimental to a brand new thread. When the subject matter is clearly defined, well researched and source materials linked, it can be particularly frustrating as this material is presented here on ATS not just for our current comments, but saved for future members use in researching and learning about the thread topic.

The specific thread topic here is clearly defined, of interest to ATS members, and worthy of discussion. As far as the area of human experimentation on animals and its impact - you might be surprised by how much I may agree with you. In fact, I actually believe this topic is worthy of its own thread discussion . You should write one.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sorry, I'm with icepack. If you post a video with an abused monkey in the name is "science" some people are going to ask moral questions. I'm one of them. It is relevant to the discussion. You don't get to push it away because you don't want to talk about it. Why do we feel that we can torture and destroy everything around us in the vain attempt to live 10 minutes longer?
edit on 11-11-2011 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
Sorry, I'm with icepack. If you post a video with an abused monkey in the name is "science" some people are going to ask moral questions. I'm one of them. It is relevant to the discussion. You don't get to push it away because you don't want to talk about it. Why do we feel that we can torture and destroy everything around in the vain attempt to live 10 minutes longer?
edit on 11-11-2011 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

I couldn't help but agree with you. Look at Dick Cheney for example, everyday that guy lives is another scheme he can come up with to rake in millions from the suffering of other people. Now back on topic...I agree with PP and approve this message.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
For those of you not caught up on the Monkey..

... here is some more info.

60 Minutes video on new robotic arms.
Wired magazine talking about this same new prosthetic.

Their are a lot worse things, hairspray in eyes? When it's you that gets your arm back, or a loved one, I don't think you would feel so guilty. And if you eat meat, what are you saying? The monkey is constrained and not in pain. Yes it has device implanted:

But so does this man, and neither are in pain (this one is EU project):

The thing that starts to get scary is when you realize the technology can control machines around the world. So this monkey in the US is making a robot walking in Japan.

Giant mechs anyone?

Controled by police/soldiers remotely... anonymously... things like this would only get worse.

edit on 11-11-2011 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

it wasnt my intention to derail your thread. when i saw the monkey try to get rid of the fixations, i was moved and switched from rational to emotional. my point is, if humans behave reckless and do not respect other creatures, there is no chance of real peace in this world. i have these old fashioned views like "the biter will be bitten" or "what goes around, comes around".
what do you think is better ? to speak from the heart or guts, if something moves you or to obey to an etiquette ?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
For those of you not caught up on the Monkey..

... here is some more info.

60 Minutes video on new robotic arms.
Wired magazine talking about this same new prosthetic.

Their are a lot worse things, hairspray in eyes? When it's you that gets your arm back, or a loved one, I don't think you would feel so guilty. And if you eat meat, what are you saying? The monkey is constrained and not in pain. Yes it has device implanted:

Totally agree, that monkey looked like he didnt have a care in the world. He is probably much better off in the safety of the lab rather than stuck out in the jungle with all those other nasty primates. If the monkey wanted to he could have simply walked out the door, but he chose to stay and assist the humans with their experiments.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

The next time your sick, and you take medicine - it's because there are a hundreds of animals who took it before you.

The next time you don't take a medicine that might have made you sick but didn't - it's because there are hundreds of animals who took it before you.

So they are testing the prosthetics.... if you loose your limb, or a family does, i'm sure there will be tears of joy for those who receive these devices.

Is it perfect? What is?

Enjoy your hamburger, steak or fish tonight... unless your a true vegan. If so hats off, I hope you can sustain your nutrients properly and I don't envy the work.

There is so much worse things to be worried about.

Hope your happy for hopelessly derailing my thread

new topics

top topics

join