It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska faces one of its worst storms ever, forecasters say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Alaska is facing a life threatening winter storm with near hurricane force winds, more than a foot of snow and severe coastal flooding, the National Weather Service says.

"This is an extremely dangerous and life-threatening storm which will be one of the worst on record over the Bering Sea and the west coast," NWS forecasters said in a bulletin Monday afternoon.

cnn

If we have any members in Alaska, stay safe. Though if you live in Alaska, you probably already know what to do.

But look at that graph, that is just insane.

74mph winds and 25 foot seas.

The storm is expected to make landfall on Tuesday.
edit on 8-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Wow, all I can say is ouch! That storm is gonna hurt. I know Alaskins (sp?) are tough folks, but hurrican force winds and snow? Didn't notice in the story what the wind chill factor would be during that but that would be brutal I would think. Good luck to everyone up there.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

I thought the same thing, ouch.

I will post more information as I see it. The article is kind of vague, what are the conditions creating this storm? What is the windchill? Will it move north? Is boating going to be shut down( you would think so).

Or if anyone else sees info, please feel free to add.

Just what do you call a snow storm with hurricane winds? snowicane?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

This is somewhat related so I thought to add it.

cnews.canoe.ca...

A search team with dogs scoured the woods around the University of Alaska at Anchorage on Monday for a Kenyan student athlete who went missing in a heavy snowstorm, police and school officials said.

"He is likely not dressed for freezing temperatures," the university's statement said.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Aw, I hope they find him

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I am a fan of Deadliest Catch,I wonder how the crab fishermen
are doing? Right now they are fishing for king crabs.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I guess we will have to ask Sarah Palin

I feel that this winter will be a long and hard one

Mother nature is ready to unleash more flood more earthquakes more snow and more big wind

be carefull everyone .. prepare water and food reserve in case there is an outage

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
I guess we will have to ask Sarah Palin

I feel that this winter will be a long and hard one

Mother nature is ready to unleash more flood more earthquakes more snow and more big wind

be carefull everyone .. prepare water and food reserve in case there is an outage

Sarah wised up.
lezgetreal.com...

She's in Arizona "hunkering" down,calling friends in Alaska and going "neer neer."

Sounds like a tough storm. Not as tough as running for President,but I hope everyones prepared up there.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Looks like HAARP activated for the final time.

Bunch of farmers, biologists, and climate scientists should be head of the facility...Not the Navy and Airforce. Remember the agreement?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I had that thought too. Coming in the straight and hitting the west coast, predicting a lot of damage which could mean ports and docks. What will it do to the industry?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

This is not based on any facts, but a squirrel ate my halloween pumpkin, big one too, ate the top right off it. HHcore said he read a thread that this could mean a bad winter. Or maybe the squirrel is just an opportunist. But I have never had a squirrel persistently eat a halloween pumpkin. the little roadkill owes me ten bucks.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Alaska is facing a life threatening winter storm with near hurricane force winds, more than a foot of snow and severe coastal flooding

Sounds like a typical New England winter storm to me. We just had 3 feet of snow drop in less than 12 hours and lost power in some areas for almost 2 weeks now.

We're just getting started too, this solar cycle will be bringing ridiculous storms that is already breaking records. Get yourselves a wood stove and a generator folks.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

LOL. Yeah, the apple trees and butternut trees are just over loaded this year, my grandfather used to say that was a sign of a hard winter coming. Hope not.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Wow, you guys crack me up.

Somebody says "storm in Alaska!"

next line inevitably "Sarah Palin sucks!"

(Reductio ad Hitlerum)

Sheesh.

On topic..I hope all stay safe in the big state.

Maybe yu55 doesn't hit them as well..

edit on 8-11-2011 by rbnhd76 because: dunb rebnec caint' spellage

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Gonna be cold, eh? Just hope it fizzles out before it starts pushing artic fronts down to Texas. While I like a nice cold winter, I don't think we are capable of dealing with these back and forth extremes...lol

BTW, as for the windchill...

also

Wind speeds above 40 mph have little additional chilling affect

www.weatherimages.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well this is terrible news, I feel for all of the living beings up in Alaska right now.

does anyone know if this is going to send blizzard conditions to areas on the westcoast that have never had to deal with this kind of disaster?

Widespread power outages combined with closing businesses will kill people. I have lived through something similar and I would not say it was easy to survive, but it can be done.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

That is sad about the student athlete, and I hope he is ok, and I certainly don't want to make light of the situation, but I have to ask............ What on Earth is a Kenyan runner doing in Alaska as his school of choice?!?!? Those guys could probably get scholarships anywhere, and all runners are ill-equipped to deal with the cold (no bodyfat), and then someone that comes from such a hot environment as Kenya is surely even less equipped. Poor guy!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I don't ever recall a snowstorm with 78 mph winds. Talk about a white out.
And there is also fear that the 25 foot waves will completely erode beaches,and push large amounts of ice on the shores.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

lmao, I had the exact same thought GetReady. Who goes: I am going to leave beautiful Africa and go to Anchorage?

Do we have any Alaskan members who can chime in?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I don't know about Alaska, but Minot, ND gets winds in excess of 60 mph pretty frequently, and their average High Temperature in January is 3 F. Yes, that is the warmest it gets on average in January, 3 degrees F!! It is a much balmier 11 degrees in February.

Wiki

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join