It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That's what a California doctor says he can do with some new-fangled laser technology.

A Doctor Claims That He Can Magically Transform Brown Eyes to Blue with Lasers

Brown to blue, permanently. That's what Dr. Gregg Homer from Stroma Medical in California says he can do. His Lumineyes procedure uses a laser tuned to a specific frequency to blast the brown out of eyes into blue. The process only takes 20 seconds too and it literally removes the melanin—the brown—from a person's eyes, which in turn reveals a blue color in two to three weeks (of course the blue isn't real, natural blue eyes have lower melanin in the front of the iris—the blue color in blue eyes come from the same effect as to why the sky is blue).

Dr. Homer says he still needs about $800,000 to complete clinical trials and if all goes to plan, the procedure will be available in 18 months outside the US and 3 years inside the US.

Gizmodo

I still don't know how confortable I'd be with somebody shooting lasers into my eyes. From most accounts, lasic surgery is pretty safe but, at least that is correcting a real problem and not for cosmetic reasons so maybe its worth the risk.

The article doesn't mention the risks involved in this new procedure or even the rate of effectiveness. It does say that it doesn't create a "natural" blue, whatever that means so who knows if you might end up looking like a freak after the procedure.

Is this taking cosmetic surgery too far? Why can't people just be satisfied with the looks God gave them?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
People should be proud of how they look, eyes more then anything, give insight of your cultural past and your family.

I wouldn't even like to think of the unseen dangers or complications which will come to light from this testing period.

I'm sure i heard something about the Nazi's working on a similar treatment.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

This is the best news I have ever heard. So tired of those "brown eyes" ruining this world, lol. j/k

Pretty cool though, kinda upsetting too. Eyes are so personal and so telling. Really not sure how I feel about this.

Now I am going to have to hear from people "wow, I love your eyes! Are they natural?"

Already tired of the "oh, do you wear contacts?"

Personally, I think green eyes are much better than blue. Would much rather my eyes be green. I don't see myself ever wanting to change them though.

I don't know why people can't be happy with their own bodies. Unnecessary Cosmetic surgery is a major turnoff to me, some imperfections are exactly what make some people so attractive.

Not to mention painful, my sister-in-law had some work done and was lying in bed in pain for a month. she spent the first week afterwards just crying and 2 years later she has gained half the weight they sucked out back.

Such a dumb thing to do. just my opinion.
edit on 7-11-2011 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2011 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Already posted days ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
interesting, if my eyes wern't already blue i'd do this. let me know when they can do red.

en.wikipedia.org...

ed: my eyes sometimes naturally go from blue to green, do I have lasers in my eyes or what?
edit on 7/11/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is great news!

If you're shallow and narcissistic enough to worry about such things I guess.

To each his own I guess, I just don't understand the rationale.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just another glaring example of extremely expensive and sensitive technology being used for COMPLETELY frivilous and conceited applications.

This type of thing really pisses me off, to be blunt. I need not waste time explaining just how much time, energy, money, and resources we waste on this USELESS garbage just like this. All I can say is: this is disgusting.

Sigh... what a bloody joke!

"Oh yes, Tracy, fascinating story there... next up on the 9 o'clock news: the rate of extreme poverty is growing at an astronomical rate. (right after these messages.)"
edit on 7-11-2011 by Aqualung2012 because: little things

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
lasers arn't that expensive, its the clinical trials that are going to cost 800k...

I get your point though, but I think its nice scientists arn't just sitting on their paychecks and are still inventing new ideas.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Some decades back, a certain German speaking country, as well as a certain bread basket English speaking country both decided to invest heavily economic and political resources into promoting Blue Eyed, Blond haired children. Those who strayed too far from their criterion, which also included test scores in academic and military settings performed by the descendants of men like Yerkes led to the sterilization of thousands and eventual euthanization of millions through the administration of cyanide, where industrial strength microwave ovens and accelerated lead was found short in supply.

The consequences of genetic testing, lasering eyes, achievement testing, and international debts are as predictable now as they were then.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Eugenics is alive and well. Just in time for biometric eye scans in a few years too.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
and here I was thinking we won ww2...

srsly, does anyone want to talk science or has it come to this?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
They can also transfer your seeing eyes to blind eyes too. Lasers on eyes don't have the best reputation, there's a lot of horror stories about lasik surgery. I'll keep em' the color they are.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
and here I was thinking we won ww2...

srsly, does anyone want to talk science or has it come to this?

Why post if you don't want to talk about it, no one is forcing you to post a comment.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I have dark,brown eyes and I want to keep them that way.

I used to sing this song in the bar on karaoke night.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Blue eyes are often very beautiful, but melanin in brown and green eyes does provide a protective function and isn't there for no reason. Even if one is willing to forego the slight protective edge of melanin in exchange for a new eye color, I think it would be foolish to undergo this procedure without years of study to prove it is safe and won't increase your risk of disease down the line. And you should also ensure it won't make future vision saving procedures like cataract surgery or glaucoma treatment more risky.

I know someday I will need cataract surgery, so I won't have the surgery to correct my nearsightedness. (I don't have cataracts but it runs in my family) I just don't think my eyes could stand up under two kinds of surgeries so I'd rather endure the hit to my vanity and continue to wear specs, and keep my eyes untouched for the future visions saving surgery I will need.

I also can't quite see putting hard earned money into risky cosmetic procedures. If I had the kind of money to throw around to make myself marginally better looking on the outside, I would rather donate to a charity instead and improve my inner beauty. That is the only thing that is going to stand the test of time, after all. No amount of money is going to ensure I'm a hot looking eighty year old! If anything, most examples of cosmetic work I've seen up close make people look very weird.
edit on 7-11-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvo
People should be proud of how they look, eyes more then anything, give insight of your cultural past and your family.

I wouldn't even like to think of the unseen dangers or complications which will come to light from this testing period.

I'm sure i heard something about the Nazi's working on a similar treatment.

It's not for you or anyone else to decide how people should or shouldn't feel about the way they look. As for the Nazi reference? Godwin's Law

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

You are quite correct. And so some people will feel this procedure is a dream come true and will line up for the chance to be test subjects. I wish them all the best and I hope they get the results they want with no ill effects to their health. How I feel about the idea still stands though and it is also perfectly okay for people to think there are distasteful and even borderline racial undertones to the matter. It is all just a matter of opinion, which we are all free to have and express.
edit on 7-11-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i can't wait!! i got a lot of info aboiut the procedure by emailing the company: [email protected].

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by leodavinci
i can't wait!! i got a lot of info aboiut the procedure by emailing the company: [email protected].

Since we have an insider from stromamedical company

We might as well ask some questions about this procedure;

does it hurt?
what are the chances of going blind?
does everybody get exactly the same blue color or does it depend on real eye color (lighter/darker brown) ?
can you show us pictures of that special kind of blue ?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Brown eyes are ugly for the most part. And the beady black/brown eyes are just down right creepy/ even more hideous. If everyone had shiny blue eyes like me the world would be such a more beautiful place.. lol jking.. Yeah a wee bit extra creepy.

top topics

join