It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a new rig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Before I start.. AMD haters GTFO.

Not sure where to put this thread.. hope it fits here, if not please let me know and move it.

Currently i've got a p2x4 3.2 BE Debeb core @ 3.8 ddr2 @ 1333 (ddr3 speeds) | on air | not liquid... unless heat pipes count. lol. gpu is liquid though. gtx 560 fermi... while on air.. i could max stuff.. but temps were close to critical.. so.. yea... slapped a water block on that phatty and shes been fine ever since.

Looking to build a new rig, kinda just because.. But as you can see, I like to push my hardware to the limits, and im a gamer and I do a lot of folding at home cpu and gpu.

Im thinking p2x6 OR one of those fancy new x8/x10/x12 opertons.. price dosent really matter Just wanna hear some fellow AMD fans opinions on opertons vs phenom2's granted.. ones a server chip.. but it still does the job.

To the intel lovers.. if you didnt read my first sentence.. and still wanna talk crap..I personally challange you to any benchmark weather it be gaming, x264 encoding, or even folding, or calcs per second test.. mind you, amd holds the world records right now. not intel. so don't come in here saying OMG N00b GET THE i7 2600k!!! ITS AWESOME cause.. its not.

Board will be asus, ddr3, either mushkin or gskill as thats my preference. I think im leaning towards a p2x6... unless I can find a nice stable dual cpu board and then go dual opertons. either way. My current beast needs to be updated, and I think its time for a new build, as oppose to a rebuild.

And just to satisfy the intel morons.. i own a few intels.. my favorite is my dual core dual cpu xeon server 2gigs ddr-rhambus so.. its basically a quad core... still runs all my games at max, and got my older gtx in there.. and thats build is 6+ years old now.. my main is about 3 years old maybe pushing 4 now.. don't remember.. built too many inbetween to count anymore.

So.. watcha'll think? p2x6 or operton?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
what if someone loves both AMD/ATI and Intel??
also, there are quite a guides on the net which I'm sure will help you.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
before i reply i want to say i have a amd 965 at 4.2ghz.

bang for buck i5 2500k most hit 4.5ghz and have the performance edge

id prop up amd id rather them have my money for competition sake but they are getting outclassed
by intel right now.

Last intel i had was a p4 2.8 northwood.If i had it to do over again i would have got a sandybridge i5
instead of a 965 and bulldozer supporting board.

Current pc specs Amd ph2 965 4.2ghz,asrock 980fx deluxe5,8g corsair vengeance ddr 1866,crucial c300 ssd 128gb w/750 wd black as storage.Zalman cnps9900max-b cooler,asus d2x soundcard,visiontek 6950 modded to 6970 shaders,and a few other things no need to mention.

i have built 2 i5 machines and i am impressed
edit on 4-11-2011 by DiiTrOn because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2011 by DiiTrOn because: gremlins

edit on 4-11-2011 by DiiTrOn because: gremlins

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Unless you're actually going to be running a busy, high traffic server, it's just going to be a waste of money to buy a whole new motherboard for an Opteron. Very few programs are multi-threaded as it is, you'd spend more on slower (although potentially much more) cores. Honestly, if this is a personal computer, there's no way you're going to reasonably choke up a Phenom x6. A buddy of mine has one and the amount of CPU intensive programs he's able to run at once is just absurd.
edit on 4-11-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I cant even afford this.. is this a 1% thread?

;p

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Total computer noob here, but is there anyway to build a laptop with real computing power like you are talking about? I live a very mobile lifestyle, and a desk top is just a paper weight to me since I am almost never "home". I have actually been questioning whether I should even have a home since I am literally gone 70% of the time.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tbonedude

Intel is leading the race now incase you didnt know lol Don't get me wrong...I have an AMD and i love AMD but Intel is better as of right now

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You can't beat the AMDs data bandwidth capabilities with the greater number of cores than intel - looking at high end raid systems there's absolutely no question about the superior I/O bus capabilities of the AMD. More data bandwidth = more ability to support larger data streams

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
donate that money to a charity. Whats the point of having allot of computers when you all ready have one that can run any thing you would like.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
How'd I know this was gonna happen...

ok.. first.. to the pc noob asking about laptops, go with a lenovo or ibm (lenovo is ibm nowadays anyway) they provide excelent bang for your buck, and my lenovo runs most of my games around medium settings.. battery life is about 6 hours, though you can upgrade batteries but they are incredibly epensive.. not worth it.. if anything, buy a second 6 hour battery.. about 50-80$ on ebay .. Could get an alienware.. but they are basic laptops overclocked and tweaked.. they often die within 1 year.. but they do have excelent service, and speedy replacements.. or even a gaming dell xps.. it all really depends on what your gonna use it for.

next.. proformance edge wise.. the i7 2600k has a SLIGHT lead, and thats only because it was just released.. wait a few weeks for the new amd chips to arive.. and again, an open challange to any intel'er here that thinks they are better. amd released there 32nm chips before intel.. intel took the time to make theres better, now amd is gonna re-release 32nm chips twice as fast. just watch.

I could get ddr3 up to 1666 maybe higher with a bios update.. not sure i'd have to check.. but my asus m4n deluxe is am3+ as well as ddr2/ddr3... am2=ddr2 am3=ddr2 or ddr3... im running a 945 BE with ddr2.. I could upgrade.. and it would be alot cheaper... but i've modded this board, and entire rig to hell.. to upgrade would be more of a hassle then to just rebuild... Also.. I do host lan parties, and I do host gaming servers from my home fios connection as far as bandwidth goes, i've got plenty to support all of my habbits. As well as there is zero lag even on my 32man 100tic hl2/dods/css servers.. But i've had an itch to upgrade.. and frankly the time before and around christmas and the rest of the holiday season is a prime time to buy new hardware.

I also plan to go SSD for boot and install my servers on that.. everything else is jbod sata3 but.. I still havent seen enough proof to switch to SSD over a nice sata3... PEAK speeds of ssd can be up to and over 100 mbs.. steady is still 70ish... which is what my sata runs at.. i peak around 90.. plus.. 2tb's.. compaired to i think the largest SSD avaiable today is 320gb.. could be wrong.. ill look later.

4.2 nice for a 965, is a BE? air or liquid? I am stable up to 4.0... 4.1 not stable but runs, 4.2 wont boot.. remember i am on air as well, and my ddr2 is lacking to what it could be. What voltage are you at to hit that? im at 1.38 for 3.8 1.4v for anything higher. Care to share pics and what not? Id love to see your mods and setup.

1% thread? by far. I build, sell, and modifiy computers.. custom computers... mod consols.. hack apple products and resell them.. i make money. period. I am no where neer rich, and last month i had to pawn a camera just to have enough for my rent... was a bad month.

Again, just let me mention this.. amd holds world records for I/O and frequency. over 8ghz... the highest intel is 8.3ghz.. and its not even an I7 series.. or a p4 northwood.. is a celeron.

Why operton? I do alot of uhmm... *cough* stuff. Constently streaming movies music and all kinds of stuff to my wdtv, ps3, and and other laptops in the house.. my pc is the data center for everyone. a dual operton setup with dual gigabit would be a big proformance increase to my ps3, and laptops that support 1gbit as well as it still has the raw power for gaming that I desire.

Im still thinking about a phenom2 x6 and ill turn my older intel xeon into the data center insted.. been wanting to do it anyway

valid.canardpc.com...
Worlds fastest cpu.
Nº 1 : Andre Yang reached 8461.51 MHz with an AMD FX (32 nm) [Details]
MB : Asus Crosshair V Formula (AMD RD9x0 rev 02) - RAM : Corsair 2048 MB
number 1 in the world. again, not intel.
Look for this on youtube as well.. has been done on numerous different liquids.. most notably liquid nitrogen.. only thing colder then that is liquid helium

3 Fastest in the world.. intel celeron
Nº 3 : duck reached 8320.4 MHz with an Intel Celeron 360 (65 nm) [Details]
MB : Asus Commando (Intel P965/G965 rev C2) - RAM : Team Group Inc. 1024 MB
Look for the video on it.. dude dosent even use liquid nitro... he uses liquid helium

Amd's fastest k10
Nº 1 : FtW 420 reached 7192.73 MHz with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 (45 nm) [Details]
MB : Asus Crosshair V Formula (ATI ID5A14 rev 02) - RAM : Corsair 4096 MB

Intels Fasest i7
Nº 1 : duck@Intel Japan KK reached 7307.84 MHz with an Intel Core i5 655K (32 nm) [Details]
MB : EVGA EVGA P55 3X SLI Classified (Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge re) - RAM : A-Data Technology 2048 MB

200 mhz faster then k10, which has held that spot for over a year.. intel just broke that record recently? Like I said. AMD is better. Records proove it, and I will to.

Liquid nitrogen -346f
Liquid helium - 454f (A few mili kelvin above absolute zero)

More proof that intels run hotter on average then amds.. it shows in stock speeds, and overclocked speeds as well. Imagine liquid helium on that 32nm FX amd chip.. 8.4 would be 9.0+ ghz.

And just to show I am not biased.. the fasest cpu avaiable today isnt a amd.. or intel... it would be a sparc tseries processor.. specifically t4, stock 3.0ghz @ 8 cores NATIVE. no hyper threading.. non of that nonsense.. pure 8 cores via SPU and these are 40nm chips... Imagine Oracle releasing a t5 under 32 nm with 12 or more cores, stock speeds of 3.6 or higher... again.. for the intel vs amd battle, amd wins.

Awesome.Manufactured.Device
Internet.Noobs.There.Everywhere.LOL
edit on 4-11-2011 by tbonedude because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join