It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow is November 5, Saturday. Are you going to close your accounts in big banks tomorrow?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
For years I was at a local community bank they got bought out by a regional bank. I stayed for a long time, but they started screwing up stuff and charging extra. I went to what to another regional bank, Bank of Oklahoma. (that I thought was very local turns out they own among others Bank of Albuquerque, Bank of Arizona, Bank of Arkansas, Bank of Kansas City, Bank of Texas, and Colorado State Bank and Trust) and was not happy for several reasons. Although I do think it's kind of cool the Bank of Oklahoma owns half the SW banks!!!! LOL.

Now I am at a small regional bank and am reasonably satisfied. If i get any problems I will probably go with a credit union (although I had a car loan through a credit union and was not real happy...I paid a car loan off early...but on the pay off they didn't factor in 3 payments.....12 mths later my credit report says I have 3 lates on a paid off account....!!!)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Banks are FDIC-backed, but credit unions are not. My understanding is that credit unions can choose to be protected by NCUSIF (and pay for the privilege), but it's apparently not mandatory. Some are backed and others aren't. If you place your deposits in an uninsured credit union and it goes belly up then it's possible you could lose your money. Something to check into before selecting a credit union.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I bank with a small regional bank that received $0 in TARP funds of any kind. My money is staying put for now.

I miss the days of getting free stuff when you open a checking account. In the past I received a pair of decent binoculars and some Corning baking dishes. What now? Nothing!! Banks need to get back to the basics of earning trust and earning their business. Some banks now make it seem like they are doing me a big favor. Wow! .000012 in checking account interest. Thanks! and Your welcome for using my money.

Look to your regional and local banks, savings banks. You know the ones who still loan money.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Some banks now make it seem like they are doing me a big favor. Wow! .000012 in checking account interest. Thanks! and Your welcome for using my money.

This, I must say is not just only the banks, most large corporations also try to make us think that it is they that are doing us a favor. This ideology is widespread, and I never hesitate to inform those chuckleheads otherwise. I love the look on peoples faces when I tell them, lets see what kind of favor you are doing me, as I am walking out of their establishment empty handed and with the same amount of money as I came in with. They tend to think that whatever it is they are offering that I cannot live without. Unless we are discussing food and water, I beg to differ.

I find myself beginning to ask more and more when doing business with someone, why should I do business with you.
edit on 4-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Heres a thought - Maybe OWS is getting Played - EVERYONE close their bank accounts and move to a Credit Union - That way We the USA Tax Payers can Bail them out Again !

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have always had my money in a local community bank because they offer better services than the big banks do, and I have been very happy banking with them...so no I will not be closing my account.

But hey...if enough of you close your accounts at the big banks...maybe they will offer a good incentive for me to move my money over to them.

And even if I don't...many will for the right incentives.

Sorry...I'm being pessimistic about this...but it's how I feel.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Your right especially from a retail perspective. The nation has adopted the Big Box Store mentality and the retailers have done their favors by saving me a dollar on one item to get me in the door and then jack me on the other items I purchase in the process. It's rare to even get a smile and a thank you upon checkout any longer.

Several years ago I used to sell lumber to local builders at a locally owned lumber yard. Along comes Home Depot (poor lumber selection) and sells sub standard lumber at or below cost. They don't need the lumber to make a profit. It's the markup on the hundreds of thousands of other items that they sell that generates the money. Some of my smaller builders jumped ship at first to get cheap prices only to return to me for better lumber and quality and consistent service. Then came the housing collapse and the end for small local lumberyards that only sold lumber and companion building products.

Time to get back to basics. Patronize you local businesses as much as possible and avoid Wal Mart etc whenever possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

We went credit union in february we left B of A. For the past 2 months we haev been going to the credit union bank and pulling our money and holding cash. we live in the middle of nowhere have alot of property we dont worry we have a safe somewhere on this property properly set. we think if this bank change does impact the banksters/wall street, that will mean all banks could be affected, so we are trying to stay at least one step ahead of the banksters.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
i sort of did this by transferring a car loan from a big bank to a smaller bank, the big bank will get the check tomorrow so it will affect them in their monthly payments

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My bank has a date of the 11th. I was on their site today and found in their messages section, a statement saying they are NOT charging check card fees now. Still going to have fees for checking, but there are ways to have them waived, which I will have. Almost all banks now, and even some credit unions have minimum balances you must have or you will get FEE'D! I get paid by direct deposit so my hands are tied.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hopeisasound

You don't need to go to a credit union- just a small local bank! You don't need to "qualify" for them. I've been banking with a small bank for decades now and I don't understand why anybody would bank with the big banks- the smaller banks have infinitely better customer service.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fldinosaur
My bank has a date of the 11th. I was on their site today and found in their messages section, a statement saying they are NOT charging check card fees now. Still going to have fees for checking, but there are ways to have them waived, which I will have. Almost all banks now, and even some credit unions have minimum balances you must have or you will get FEE'D! I get paid by direct deposit so my hands are tied.

I bank with USAA Federal Savings Bank, and wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't had a problem with them in over twenty years. No fees for checking, can have 2 cents in the account without any fees, no fees for debit card usage, and if I incur a fee from an ATM they pay that fee back up to either $10 or $15 dollars. I tend to pull out money when buying something to avoid the ATM when possible. I don't like the other bank to get the fees.

Basically it is a totally free checking account. If I put enough money in, I can gain interest on the checking account. They also give free checks. If you want cutesy checks, you do pay for those. This is how banking is suppose to be. All banking should be free in every way. They are using our money even if we only have one cent with them.They have us as a privilege of us allowing them to use our money. Not the other way around.

No fees should have to be "waived" not to have them.

If anyone has a bank that has fees of any kind just to be able to use your account, then find a bank that doesn't. That is what is going to send the banks a message. It shouldn't just be about the debit card fee, but all fees a bank charges.

The main messages should be:

No Fees, Period.

Quit messing with our accounts, and get it right the first time.

Have the money when I want it available.

PS. USAA does not have a branch in my area. They do take direct deposit. I don't have direct deposit. I have to deposit checks. They have a system where I can use my home scanner to scan in my check. They call it at home deposit. It is the most convenient and easy banking I ever did. Up to $1000, as far as I know per check, is available instantly that way. There is a hold on the rest of the money for a short time, since they wait for it to clear the other bank. That is the only thing I don't like, but I blame the other bank.

When I buy something from the store using my debit card, as soon as I get home the entry shows on my online bank account. I have bought items online, and seen it show up a minute or two later on my online bank account. Their customer service is great. No other bank can tempt me, because they have the bar raised way above other banks. This is what other banks should be aspiring to.
edit on 4/11/2011 by Mystery_Lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
A bank's worth is measured by property, holdings and all money in all account types. If a company sees a drop of at least $2 Billion in a quarter of course that kind of equity loss will negatively affect both the quarterly and annual financial reports which forces your investors and stockholders to begin to or to lose complete confidence in you which usually ends up with a CEO fired and cut off with no severance or golden parachute option.

This alone drives down the market as a whole because the average consumer would become weary of them and not wish to transact business with them.

This is a major goal of this movement and that is to cripple these banks. Make them suffer and to wipe them clean from creation. Greed is far too rampant.

As to weather or not I'll participate I will but need to get some info first so that I don't disrupt things before I precede!
edit on 4-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
First... betweenme and my girlfriend there is too much money to just withdraw, you need to actually organise a meeting for that sort of thing, like lifting anything over somthing silly like 5k in the UK and you need to justify the transaction. secondly i need a proper bank account to do other things..

for me the idea isnt great....

if you really wanted too, just open an account with HSBC, they are a huge bank, they took no bailouts and supported themselves through the hard times...

also... if everyone put money in the credit union.. it would become a huge bank.. then surley it would happen again

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
We've been with a credit union for the last 20 or so yrs. Its kind of like walking into the bar on Cheers.. they all know your name.
Seriously though, we have never had a problem with credit unions.. I haven't used a bank in 20-25 years and don't see myself running somewhere to experience the fees and charges.

On my local news they were just speaking of " National Bank Transfer Day". Seems to be getting some attention.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'm so grateful to be Canadian - I'm with Toronto Dominion bank, and I at least am lucky enough to be swindled only half as much as anyone with Bank of America, etc.

Check out this nice and layman's terms explained list of reasons why Canadian banks have been ranked very safe from 2008 to the present.

Canada vs. US - Whose Banks Are Safer?

Note that the author chose to name the article Canada vs US - I don't mean in any way to start some kind of silly neighbour conflict here. "Versus" in a comparative sense only.

Do you think, if you were an Anonymous member, that you'd be interested in making a statement by targeting Canadian finances anyways?

To any mods looking at my humble occasional posts, I did post this very comment on another "Tomorrow is November 5th" thread, but it only had a meagre few visitors, and I'd prefer the discussion take place here.
edit on 4-11-2011 by windus because: oh the same reason anyone edits. Analyzing our internet voices.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
This date has been appointed as the date when the protesters are going to close their accounts in the big banks. Are you planning to join this mass protest against the big banks? I just realized that November 5 is a Saturday. Are banks open in the US on November 5? I'm not from the US, btw. Let us hear your plan on that date.

Hell no i am not closing my bank account, i got bills to pay. I have a house payement to make, and groceries to buy. What i will be doing is changing the spark plugs out in my car, thats what my plan is for tomorow. This sh*t doesn't get done on it's own you know, my tools aint just gonna pick themselves up and magically change my spark plugs for me.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You don't have to close any active account tomorrow but do recommend that you begin looking into a Credit Union and not make any final decision now.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I find this article VERY interesting!

Successful South Bay Businessman Joins Bank Transfer Movement

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

A high-profile member of San Jose’s business community joined the Bank Transfer Day movement Friday.

Silicon Valley businessman Mike Fox, Sr., a beer magnate and philanthropist, announced Friday that he was divesting his long-held personal account with Bank of America.

Fox also said he would close M.E. Fox & Co.company’s $4 million line of credit. Fox, 75, heads the wholesale distributor of beer, water and energy drinks.

and he is part of the 1%

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

If you had read my post right, you would have read that I used to write my pin scrambled on the back because I have a hard time remembering numbers. I did not think it would be an issue and switched numbers around just to be safe. And they deposited fraudulent checks, not empty envelopes. This was done in another state. I thought I had misplaced my card and found out the hard way where it was. I have it narrowed down to a few people that could have done it because of where the transactions happened. And the people were friends of room mates who were at my house a lot. But to go off naming people and getting it wrong is very dangerous. So I guess I should have given more detail so people like you wouldn't be judgemental and talk down to me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join