It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing! 4 Things You Probably Never Knew Your Phone Could Do.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
4 Things you probably never knew your mobile phone could do

This blew my mind when I read it. I thought the best place to share it is here.
Please feel free to share any other nifty tricks and secrets you may be aware of.

PS: This was on a PDF document emailed to me. There’s a Chevron logo at the upper right so they may have something to do with it.

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that youcan do with it:

Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.
Try it out.

The next part is just crazy.

Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object.

You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

Hidden battery power.

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

How to disable a stolen phone.

To check your mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone!: * # 0 6 #, a 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally
useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

My Dad used to put a sticker on the battery cover saying that the phone has already been blacklisted so whoever had it may just as well return it for a reward. Never lost his phone once.

edit on 2-11-2011 by Monkeygod333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Car key one is fake, read all these things years ago. Also, the hidden Battery one only works for certain phones I think specifically Nokia if I remember correctly.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
Car key one is fake, read all these things years ago. Also, the hidden Battery one only works for certain phones I think specifically Nokia if I remember correctly.

But interesting article nonethe less
Why are you being such a debbie downer?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I just tried the hidden battery feature on my co-workers phone that is dying and it did not work.

She has the Verizon Network.

Just a heads up.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
For the record, I think this will only work with your average phones. Not the new smart phones on the shelves. Can’t even imagine the hidden tricks you could do with those puppies…

Typing the code should also be a troublesome exercise when using a locked touch screen phone.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

How. If it doesn't work I'm saving you all some time instead going outdoor and makign yourself look like your practicing a remote car bomb to your next-door neighbor

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yeh the remote unlock through phone doesnt work, people who say it works are usually in their drive way, or somewhere within range of the car.

Im waiting on my battery t0 run down so i can try the hidden battery, but have my doubts

Imei code worked but that's no secret it in 'about system' on my android

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I tried them on my phone except the emergency number. No door unlocker, no serial number, no spare battery power. My phone is a Samsung model SCH-U34 on US Cellular. About 4 years old.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but it doesn't seem to work with all phones.

(this one says Verizon, but it's the same phone)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The serial number works on my son's HTC phone.

Any other secret tips? Even if they don't all work on all phones, it's fun trying.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Another use, if you need fire more than phone, either use a bit of steel wool against the terminals, or break the phone to get at the speaker wire and use that to make the spark for the fire.

Remember too much trying for a spark may result in battery explosion. (EG do not do it unless you have exhausted all ways to make a fire.)

M.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You know what they say:

"The Phone Companies Have Us By the Calls"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Stuck in the bush with no reception? setting fire to your phone* will produce a thick acrid smoke that will show rescuers your position or use the reflective innards as a mirror to reflect sunlight.

*may void your warranty

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is the only cell phone trick I know for a fact does work

When a cellular phone is deactivated, the phone number is often recycled to a new user, or to a new phone for the same user. The deactivated cell phone will still complete a 911 call (if it has battery power) but the 911 operator will see a specialized number indicating the cell phone has been deactivated. It is usually represented with an area code of (911)-xxx-xxxx. If the call is disconnected, the 911 operator will not be able to connect to the original caller. Also because the cell phone is no longer activated, the 911 operator is often unable to get Phase II information

So even if that old cell phone is no longer on a calling plan or has active service as long as it will power up and is in working order it will make a 911 call.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

this dose not work, i seen this myth busted, and proved it dose not work.
and if that's false then your other myths might be as well.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I tried the 112 thing and now I'm in the back of a police car for making a false emergency call to every emergency service in the world. Thanks alot OP

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Ha ha ha. I can't believe the number of people that tried all these things. Hilarious.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Stuck in the bush with no reception? setting fire to your phone* will produce a thick acrid smoke that will show rescuers your position or use the reflective innards as a mirror to reflect sunlight.

*may void your warranty

Yeah if they're looking for you by using the Hubble Space Telescope.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Yeah...as others have posted, most of these don't work at all, and a few may work..but only on certain phones.

One trick a hacker friend of mine did once (this was years ago...I doubt there's any phones left that it still works on...in fact the networks of the day may have even using analog signals rather than digital...I'm not sure) was to put the phone into some sort of diagnostic mode...then stick some tin foil somewhere in by the battery. The tin foil acted as an antenna, as in diagnostic mode the phone was disconnected from its normal antenna....then he could scan through different frequencies and actually pick up other people's phone calls. There was no way to tell who's phone you were hearing...but it certainly worked. Like I said though...I think the tech has changed too radically for something like this to work now days.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hmm, very nice. The unique code worked on mine, but when I tried the extra power, it said;

"This command isn't supported."

Maybe there are are other codes unique to certain phones. Might just have to do a bit of research...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join