It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hail Columbia Movement: A Way for Pagans to Protect Freedom of Religion – And You Can Help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

“Wiccans and Pagans are part of the American religious mosaic, and they’re here to stay. Founding Fathers like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison gave us religious liberty – and that means religious liberty for everyone. The followers of nature-based faiths are going to use it because they don’t want to lose it. What could be more in keeping with the great American tradition?” - Reverend Barry Lynn, United Church of Christ minister and executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State

The Hail Columbia movement grew out of concern over the efforts exerted by a small but increasingly influential group of conservative Christians to restructure America so that all aspects of life conform to their vision of a Christian society. Several Republican candidates for president have significant connections to the New Apostolic Reformation and other groups that have explicitly stated they intend to influence politicians so that the government will enforce their religious edicts.

The catalyst for Hail Columbia was a NAR project called DC 40 which involved organizing “prayer warriors” nationwide to “change the spiritual atmosphere over DC forever” by conducting “spiritual warfare” and renaming DC the District of Christ. As DC-based bloggers, Hecate Demeter and I found this idea not just preposterous but offensive. We started spreading the word and encouraging Pagans to respond by honoring Columbia and, ultimately, by participating in politics to help protect freedom of religion.

“The methods used by the NAR and other Dominionists are founded upon hate, fear, and ignorance. Their demonization of our Gods and Goddesses uses inflammatory language that can lead to violence and discrimination against followers of minority religions. We have choices in how to respond to this threat to our freedom and our faiths. Many are resorting to prayer, some to writing letters, and some to defensive strategies. We decided to honor the Queen of Heaven, the Goddess Inanna, in a public space, and demonstrate the very freedoms the Dominionists seek to destroy.” - Katrina Messenger, founder of Connect DC and the Reflections Mystery School in Petworth.

Star Foster and others created a Facebook page and Dash put together a website to spread information and coordinate Pagan responses. The results have been heartening; local coordinators are volunteering in states across the nation and we’ve raised awareness about the potential dangers posed by these would-be theocrats. But it’s not just about leaders – it’s about voters. NAR-related groups are working to register more evangelical Christians and to encourage them to vote for specific candidates who have expressed agreement with this radical agenda.

This is why it’s vital for Pagans to be politically aware and politically active. I want to work towards that goal by making the Hail Columbia project a nexus for information and action. It could include features such as information on candidates’ positions on religious liberty and action alerts for people to write to their elected officials about government infringement on freedom of religion. I’d like to hear more from the community about how useful something like that would be and any other ideas you have for how to move Hail Columbia forward. I’m also looking for additional contributors to the Hail Columbia blog.

Columbia represents the freedoms on which America is founded. She encourages us to protect what has been won and beckons us onward to expand freedoms, including religious liberty in a peaceful and pluralistic society. Will you help?

Via

Pagans, Wiccans, and anyone who cares for freedom of religion should definitely look into this or other ways of combating the increasing influence that Dominionist Christianity is having on our country and our politicians.

Paganism is not trying to ruin your country. We Pagans are struggling just to keep our children during divorce battles and live normal lives, away from constant bigotry and hatred.

These Christians, praying that any name with Pagan origins be removed from the face of this country, are a threat not just to us, but to anyone who does not subscribe to all of their ideals.

Religious freedom is not at all just for Christians.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

While I completely agree with your sentiments, I can't help but be reminded of the irony. This argument is very similar to the one the Christian mainstream uses when they claim they are being "persecuted" by secular America.

It's just another case where the world is just waiting for certain generations to die off so it can move forward. I hope that's not true but it seems more and more so.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The difference is we are being actively persecuted. We have no power. We have the Christian media talking about our evil occult sacrifices, and even secular media discussing whether or not Samhain (Halloween) should be banned due to its Pagan origins. These Dominionist Christians are actively trying to rid any Pagan-themed history from America and they do really think freedom of religion is only for Christians.

They boycott and rally against TV shows, books and movies for portraying witches as anything but evil. When has secular America ever done that to a Christian book or movie?

This is why we are not like the Christians who think they are being persecuted by secular America. Because no matter what they think, secular America does not have the power that Christians do in this country, and Pagans have even less power than that.

I can understand why you would think that is ironic if you're not part of the culture. But if you would just look, if you took the time to really see, it's not hard to realize that we really are being persecuted.
edit on 31-10-2011 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

I can understand why you would think that is ironic if you're not part of the culture. But if you would just look, if you took the time to really see, it's not hard to realize that we really are being persecuted.
edit on 31-10-2011 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

I am part of that culture and I do feel the persecution is real. What I found ironic was that the arguments were the same, not that the validity was the same. Western Judeo-Christianity has a deeply disturbing double standard in American society and they often cry "foul" at many of the things you are bringing up. That was what I was trying to say.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Ah, sorry. I'm a bit high strung, very busy with Samhain and have been arguing with Christians all week. :/

I hope your night goes well.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
New info on the movement

At a time when many Pagans have been honoring what and who has gone before and new changes to come, other Pagans made the choice to also honor what we have in the Now: Our freedom. On Sunday, October 30, 2011, around 55 Pagans and supporters converged on Lafayette Square Park in Washington, DC to honor our freedom to worship as we choose. On that day, we were all first and foremost Americans.The ceremony, organized by Katrina Messenger and Caroline Kenner of Washington DC--with the help of many, many others--aimed to honor the Feminine Divine, specifically in relation to DC. The day opened with welcome messages and opening prayers by Messenger, Kenner, and others. The Ancestors and the Goddess, Inanna were welcomed in.

Throughout the ceremony, a variety of Goddesses were called, each prayer accompanied by a song. Goddesses honored included Columbia, Durga, Athena, Freya, Shekinah, Ma'at, Hecate, and a host of others. Non-Pagan participants added prayers of their own, as well. Every aspect of the ceremony worked harmoniously with every other aspect, and the energy was empowering, positive, and quite palpable. Passers by stopped and watched respectfully, and some appeared to even appreciate and enjoy the music.

After the prayers had been sung and shared, participants performed a Spiral Dance, which wound tighter and tighter toward the center, until the energy that had been building all day was released with chants and cheers, going off to do the good work intended.

The ceremony was closed out, and participants stayed on to drum, dance, and socialize. Kenner shared a prayer and a story about Enheduanna, the first poet and priestess known by name to history. She is considered to be the primary role model to many modern priestesses.

It was a peaceful, positive day, and though it will take some time to see how things unfold, the Ritual made it clear that Pagans are not looking to usurp anything or anybody, but only to heal current harms, protect our religious freedom, and live in peace with others.

new topics

top topics

join