It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Truck's aka, Road Trains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I was simply killing some time in the virtual world when one click led me onto another as it happens to all of us and then i came across this video of Australian Road Trains. So here i am posting it up and perhaps we can see some other trucks from around the world or perhaps what goes up and down your state.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Thanks for posting this. Some pretty sharp looking rigs there.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Glad you like it, but the image at 1:51 blew my socks off, i was like W.T.F.......

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Yeah, I know. Gotta have a lot of power to get that thing moving if it's fully loaded. Sure wouldn't beable to turn that around in a parking lot.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
You should try getting past one on a single lane dirt road,which is common where these rigs travel
the technique on a motorbike is simple ,head down ,full throttle and hope nothing is coming the other way.good times

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

The big buggers are a nightmare for anything glass, headlights, windscreens etc...

My little 5 tonner has a massive hole and crack in the windscreen, scared me half to death when it hit!

And what we see in the vid is nothing compared to these big fellas...

The Powertrans ‘powered’ road trains feature a specially designed and built heavy-duty prime mover or tractor unit and up to six trailers with as many as two of the trailers equipped with an identical engine and an Allison transmission as the prime mover.

These massive road trains have been hauling more than 500 tonnes of iron ore at a time over a 52 kilometre haul road between the Fortescue Christmas Creek operation and the company’s Cloudbreak mine and loading facility. In its largest configuration with two powered trailers, four passive trailers and a full load of iron ore, the giant rig, including the prime mover, tips the scales at more than 750 tonnes.
These vehicles have been doing this work reliably and safely in temperatures often exceeding 50 degrees Celsius, largely due to the ability of Allison’s M6610 six-speed automatic to handle the power and torque from the 760 horsepower Cummins QSK19 electronically managed 19-litre turbo diesel engines.

www.tachoblog.com...
www.roadtransport.com...

edit on 1/11/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

oh man..those links have some big a$$ mf trucks in there. Myself, i have never ever seen one on the road, the thought of something like that coming at me makes want to use a helmet while driving, not that its going to help, but its the psychological aspect of it.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Bloody (almost) tourists

www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-11-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

wow that is insane, if that truck hit that mini van it would obviously have been lights out...!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Some states like Oregon allow triples. My state only allows doubles without a special permit. I can't believe that train at 1:51 could even move. Engines on typical tractors are not much over 1,000 HP, 1,000 lbs torque. Anyone know the size engine these rigs use? BTW, Allison transmissions are awesome. I have one in my own truck. It has its own oboard computer that adjusts to your driving.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Sir..i need some gas...!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
not a truck, but still cool to watch...btw...hey guys...i need my yacht for a quick cruise, how fast can i be on my way...!

edit on 4-11-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Rough Idea for horsepower is between 480 and 600 depending on make and anywhere from 1600 to 2050 ft/lb torque... Now this is for STOCK engines. Throw in a couple of mods and you can add an extra 20%+ on that!!!

Kinda makes my Diesel Dodge Nitro look like a pussy, It's only got 190hp and 390 ft/lb torque...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
oh now i want to watch Convoy
i havnt seen that movie in years.

I remember as kid on wednesday nights in Ballarat, we would sit in the car with dad while we waited for mum get off work, as the trucks would go past us, we would hang out the window and do the o'l arm impersination and the trucks would all honk back at us.

i dont think they are allowed to do that anymore though

now i know what people mean by the good ol days, to think of the things we missed out on that our parents had seen and done is shame.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
oh now i want to watch Convoy
i havnt seen that movie in years.

I remember as kid on wednesday nights in Ballarat, we would sit in the car with dad while we waited for mum get off work, as the trucks would go past us, we would hang out the window and do the o'l arm impersination and the trucks would all honk back at us.

i dont think they are allowed to do that anymore though

now i know what people mean by the good ol days, to think of the things we missed out on that our parents had seen and done is shame.

love and harmony
Whateva

Ballarat you say, oh sheet, we had family friends who lived there, well they owned a fish n chip shop so we drive up every weekend. What still freaks me out, is as kids the guys dad who owned the fish shop would allow us to eat anything and then we could stay up and watch movies while the grown up's would go into town. Oh yes those were the days

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
not so much as Road Trains, but I am the photographer for the Australian SuperTrucks
6ton drift

Triple head on

cheers
edit on 11-12-2011 by lavenlaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

nice one mate,

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There's a truckie on another forum I'm a member of who drives a B double and has an on board camera to film the muppets he has to deal with on a fairly regular basis...

Jumping into a trucks braking space is a massive no no, some people have no clue.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Nice one Chad.No indicator wink to say thanks for letting me in on the ring road. and those emergency lanes are reserved for us on the motorbikes.
Its a close call for the worst drivers in Oz but i would have to go for NSW first with the NT a close second ,but thats another thread waiting to happen

Regards from QLD

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I think each state has it's own special driver disability, here it's roundabouts and merging.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join