It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just met a couple protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
long story short...

I was leary in the beginning of OWS, then came around fully, and lately have been unimpressed.

anyways, about 20 mins ago, I goto get some beer and some water from the reverse osmosis place. coming back into my gated condo I hear "hey, doood, brah!!!". it sounded like keeanu reeves circa bill and teds. I turn around to see whats up and there were two mangy hippies. some guy and his wife, beard, crust, sandals, the works!

he asked me what direction was utah, then california, etc.. I pointed it out to him and he was VERY confused. he then asked me where the nearest truck stop was, and I explained there is no freeway on this side of town, and no truck stop.

so then him and his wife/girlfriend go into a well rehearsed sob story how they were on the vegas strip and got robbed. and that they needed to bed down. they asked me where the nearest open desert was and I told them. they looked at each other and said they would like something better. so I then told them where the OWS camp is supposed to be and that they could probably sleep there. and thats when they spilt the beans.

apparently they came with a large group from utah to vegas to protest and got robbed, and somehow the bus left them off on the east side of town. so as I was closing the locked gate and telling them good night and good luck, they said "this is a nice place, can you let us in and we can crash on the grass by the fence?" I said sorry but I can't do that and slammed the gate shut.

again this doesn't represent all of them, but I'm seeing this too much. I willing to bet all they got robbed of was a couple hacky-sacks and some weed. this isn't the kinda people anyone is gonna take serious people, especially the police. we need to get real for a min with this topic.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Was she hot?

Just kidding.

Gate slammed shut!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
and, if they did not look like hippies?
would you have let them sleep safely for the night within your secure gates, or on your lounge?
maybe they went to the OWS because they have less to loose than you do?

I wonder if they will be posting a story on a website about the people they met.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Jesus turns up to a club, the doorman says, "no sandals in here mate" , Hitler turns up, door man says "nice shinny boots make your way in sir"

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
remember how the hobos would mark the curb with code to let other hobos know who would share food,who was gullible and who would not share.hide your valuables,times gonna get harder.we still got ten years of hard times ahead.i made the mistake of planting fruit trees in the front yard.thats like a bullseye to moochers.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
guys I'm a very liberal person, but in my adulthood I know such antics are not gonna cut it no more. when this gets serious I will join.

and on a side note there is no way I could let them in, cause after I threatened my hoa I am on thin ice here. at least till the president of the board changes and/or dies.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I don't care what they might have looked like, you don't allow complete strangers into your home or yard for the night. I would never trust just anyone. I would have directed them to a homeless shelter for the night.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Now using common sense, wouldn't it suggest to you that they actually weren't OWS protestors since they only brought that up after you mentioned it? They probably thought since you knew where the OWS protestors had set up that you were sympathetic so they adjusted their story and tailored it for you. Why would you not believe their story the first (sob story) time and then believe it was true (spilled the beans) when the repeated it with added information?

These weren't OWSers, just road tramps.
Not that there aren't lame hippies trying to attach themselves to OWS. I just don't think there are an example of them. I honestly haven't seen any of these "bleed you dry hippies" at any of the protests.
edit on 29-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So, you had beer and water and didn't even give them a bottle of water?
I've never been to a "reverse osmosis" place. Is this expensive?
So, you live in a gated community.
I've visited a few of those. I've never had to manually "slam" the gate before. Usually after my vehicle is through, the gate automatically closes. Why exactly were you on foot? Was the gate's mechanism/sensor broken?
You also state that you're getting tired of seeing people begging a lot more now. Care to give details of this?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah. If you're dirty and down on your luck, you're an instant OWS protester!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
yea true, the OWS protesters in Guelph are a mix lot, but they might merge with Toronto since they are having issues getting people for the night watch and it is getting cold here now

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
So, you had beer and water and didn't even give them a bottle of water?
I've never been to a "reverse osmosis" place. Is this expensive?
So, you live in a gated community.
I've visited a few of those. I've never had to manually "slam" the gate before. Usually after my vehicle is through, the gate automatically closes. Why exactly were you on foot? Was the gate's mechanism/sensor broken?
You also state that you're getting tired of seeing people begging a lot more now. Care to give details of this?

not the drive through gate, the walk through ones on the side. reverse osmosis machines fill up water bottles for like .25c a gallon.
and yes, when I go about on foot for daily things, I get ambushed by panhandlers no less then 10 times. vegas is riddled with homeless. and though I know most are truely down on their luck, I am sick and tired of the young ones that seem well to do asking me for money and cigs. they shoot up everynight behind the hawaiian bbq place.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I know what you mean and understand how you feel. I used to live in downtown Portsmouth, VA. Homeless and druggies on every bench. I had to pass by them every time I walked to pay my bills and go to the tavern, but you don't have to react in such a negative way. I used to as well, but recently found a better solution.....

I take my dog for a walk every evening in the town park. Many times I was appraoched by people who wanted money WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE A JOB!!
Well, one day, I decided to take the creative path and asked the person, "Can you juggle or do you know a joke?"
After giving me a quizzical look, they told me "no". To which I replied, "Well, I don't just hand out money for nothing, but come hit me up again if you can at least offer me some entertainment and I'll give you dollar."
Worked like a charm! I can now go walk my dog without getting hasseled.

Edit to Add: I strongly suggest you go and have a chat with the BBQ owner and/or manager. They must be aware and it certainly isn't acceptable since it's a food place. The Health Department might like to know about the needle prick-ers who hang out back.

edit on 29-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

this particular place has been busted by the local news team for buying off a health department worker. they were getting A's on inspection when infact they were marked to be closed. thats how vegas works sadly.

about asking them to juggle, LOL. half of them are faking dissability in wheelchairs, they would never stand up. the rest are soo high they can barely walk or talk. the encampment near me has a cute pitbull though, and everyone here gives her food and water.

there is one old drunk (george) I give him money, cause I know he just wants to lay in the grass and get drunk, he never says it's for food or gas.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I hear you and it's a shame that the people who should be cleaning up the city are making it worse.

It's nice to hear you have one guy you're generous with. I do as well. I won't give him money though because he's a full blown alcoholic. I see people giving him money though and I know exactly where it's going. I'll bring him some chips and other things though. He recently got hit by a car and gave him the name of an attorney who's agreed to represent him, so at least I feel like I'm doing the best I can even though it wouldn't seem like much to some people. You just have to keep it real and not let yourself get taken advantage of or become too angry about it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

S/F and I do agree.

again this doesn't represent all of them, but I'm seeing this too much. I willing to bet all they got robbed of was a couple hacky-sacks and some weed. this isn't the kinda people anyone is gonna take serious people, especially the police. we need to get real for a min with this topic.

It does help when the population you're trying to change at least takes you seriously. I don't see many Washingtons or Jeffersons among the crowd either. I've met a couple that I could swear were Benedict Arnold types...

Hippies weren't taken seriously in the 60's either....but they had persistence and years of yelling about anything gets something done just to stop the yelling. Then the Hippies took decades to BECOME the people in power. OWS has no such patience or long term thinking.

new topics

top topics

join