It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

freedom of speech on the ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
on the ATS is not freedom of speech completely
ATS rules remind
Stalinist censorship in 1937

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stake

ATS doesn't give you any expectation of "free speech". ATS has clearly defined rules which, with a few exceptions, are perfectly relevant to keeping the site flowing as it does.

No one is forcing you to use the site, if you can't stick within the T&C you will face a penalty.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stake
ATS rules remind

I'm not sure I'd compare ATS censorship to that of Stalin..

There's actually very little that isn't allowed to be discussed..
The rest is just sticking with common courtesy while posting..

link   
reply to post by stake

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

link   
reply to post by stake

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to websites that you voluntarily sign up for.
Go protest or something.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You could 'Occupy' this thread...
Maybe if you laid some grass and trees and turned it into a cyber-park it would be more like the real thing
It would have the same effect, at least.

link   

reply to post by stake

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

Yes and it also allows a "Private" company like ATS to decide what they wish to have on "their" site..

It also allows people like yourself to freely start their own site where you can determine what is or isn't allowed..

The 1st amendment works both ways.

link   
reply to post by stake

You misunderstand.

ATS is does not make "laws" or any form of legal decisions on anything. This is a privately owned business and there are rules set in place. Much like you can't go into a super market and start yelling obscenities and be left alone.

You also can't do so here.

You agreed to the Terms & Conditions when you signed up.

Here is a thread by Skeptic Overlord that explains it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

~Keeper
edit on 10/28/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by stake

ATS doesn't give you any expectation of "free speech". ATS has clearly defined rules which, with a few exceptions, are perfectly relevant to keeping the site flowing as it does.

No one is forcing you to use the site, if you can't stick within the T&C you will face a penalty.

yes, its called censorship

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stake

Seriously mate, if you don't like it here then use your 1st amendment right and click on that white cross in the red box on the far right top of the page..

Show your dislike by not frequenting this horrible site..

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stake

yes, its called censorship

No, it's called following the rules you agreed to follow when signing up for the site.

Now if you were to post something that isn't against the T&C and it got removed, you might have something to whine about.

As it stands you don't, and from the way you are conducting yourself, I don't believe it would be a great loss to the community if you never came back.

The free speech clause in the constitution refers to the GOVERNMENT not a private entity.

If ATS was compatible to Stalin-esque censorship you sir would already be dead and airbrushed out of history.

This entitlement complex you kids have today is disgusting, and is helping to paint those honest OWS protestors in a negative light.

Is that your goal?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

ATS rules remind

I usually say what ever I want on here, within some reason though, because I do consider other people, (sometimes
) I've had posts removed for T&C violations, manners and decorum, off topic, heck, I've even gotten a warning from a mod, and lost points on here for something I've written. I'm still around, not sure how, but I am. and I am thankful for it, because after all is said and done on here with the troll's, the whiners, the hoaxers, if you can look past that, and realize that this is the internet, and you will run into that stuff, this site is pretty damn good. Not to mention, even with my aggressive attitude on here sometimes, I have met some of the nicest people on here who have helped me, and who have allowed me to help them. This site is a good outlet, and as long as you aren't posting psychopathic, racist, whatever type stuff, you'll probably see, that it's not as bad as you think it is here. Sometimes I've seen mods get carried away on here with censorship, but...... in all fairness, I've seen mods let a lot of comments go, and heated threads continue. just give it a chance man!! your still a noob.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stake

Please us the Complaint link

Thread closed

Sauron
Super-Moderator

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stake

You have had 5 threads trashed since you signed up with us.

1) An OP that contained one line.
2) An OP that contained one line.
3) An OP that discussed adult material ABSOLUTELY inappropriate for ATS.
4) An OP that was nothing more than a link to someone's Facebook page without any contribution from you.
5) An OP that was a full copy/paste without any attribution whatsoever, or contribution from you.

In each of these cases you were sent a Private Message by the staff member who trashed the thread, explaining why each was trashed and allowing you the opportunity to ask questions.

Instead you have chosen to open a thread criticizing us and making demands. That is bizarre.

This has nothing to do with "Freedom of Speech" (which applies to the Government not a privately owned website) but rather has everything to do with your failure to comply with a set of incredibly simple guidelines you agreed to when you signed up here.

If you don't want your threads trashed simply follow those guidelines.

top topics

join