It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin spotted

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Get off my internet. I thought we were done with this rubbish lol
LOL

the hell is this?
what the hell is ATS coming to?
this is not 4chan.
this is not your favorite xbox gaming site where you post pics of girls and lolcats... and then not comment on the subject of the thread...

the moderation in this forum has been severely lacking as of late.!!

to the subject at hand....
Elenin is on an elliptical orbit and interacts with the bodies it passes.
if you haven't seen the videos from south America and New Zealand about it - you should - before you think it's over!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodlyHavoc
well i live in south florida at the very southern tip and while driving south on the dixie highway i saw what appeared to be a meteor it was a bright green object with a little trail on it it streaked across the sky at 10:30 eastern time oct/25/11 for a couple seconds and looked like it hit a couple miles off shore in the atlantic. it would be reasonable to think that this is part of the trail because of what happened in Australia
www.livescience.com...
edit on 25-10-2011 by GodlyHavoc because: added what time

Because that Australian meteor was found to most probably be related to Comet 73P/Schwassmann–Wachmann 3, does not mean that the meteor that you saw has anything to do with Elenin.

Not sure if you read my earlier posts in this thread, but we know because of the distance between Elenin's orbit and Earth's orbit, that meteoroids from Elenin won't be anywhere near Earth's orbit this year, although they might in years to come. Today's computer modeling of meteoroid streams is very accurate compared to that before around a decade ago. I'll be happy to post some examples if you like.

Don't forget that there are many active meteoroid streams that do intersect Earth's orbit at this time of year, as well as random (or "sporadic" as they are known) meteors.

Another thing to note with regard to meteors, is that color is very subjective, and doesn't really mean a lot... unless you capture a spectrum by photographing a meteor through a diffraction grating. Basically any meteor can be green as long as it is above the threshold brightness at which our eyes can detect color. As the link you posted says, the color green is usually produced when a meteoroid slams into atmospheric Oxygen, something which I have been saying for years here on ATS. The "mystery" of green fireballs was solved long ago by meteor researchers.

Also, it's not uncommon for people to think they saw a meteor land or hit the ground, but we know that this is actually very rare, and that meteors can seem to be much lower and closer than they actually are.

Photographic studies of fireballs and meteors have confirmed this - no meteor has ever been photographed below around 20 km altitude. That does not mean a meteor is never luminous below this altitude, but that meteors that are, are extremely few and far between.

Indeed, whenever there is a large fireball/meteor that is seen by many people, it's common place for the local authorities to receive reports of something that "looked like it crashed to the ground not far away", but once reports have been investigated it inevitably turns out that the meteor was much further away and higher up than people reported. Often meteorites are found many 10's of km away from where people reported as seeing the meteor "hit the ground".

All of this is provable using simple physics/logic - We know that in order for a meteor to be luminous, the meteoroid must be traveling at a speed of around 1 km/s at least. Now if the meteor was so close to the observer, why were no sonic booms heard? The meteor must be breaking the sound barrier at such speeds, so it would be heard if it was within a few 10's of km.
edit on 26-10-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: fixed typos

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Since when? This is not the first time a comet has disintegrated like this at perihelion.

it is the ONLY known comet with an orbital period over 1k years (out of like 1500 ish) that lies in the plane of the ecliptic.
it passed near the Sol and experienced some kind of magnetic interaction that either broke it or extinguished its coma.
it's orbit leaves it at roughly .250 AU from Earth for over three weeks: perfect for observation.

there is no other known comet like it.

it is without precedence.i find this curious
edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: words

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

then I can't help you.

i am not asking for your help. i am poking holes in established theory. how does arguing with me 'help' me? if u wanted to help you would find more data that sheds more light on the discussion at hand.

not tell me u can't help me...

You seem angry..are you angry?

i am angry actually. i am angry at the blindness and the greed, the flippant responses to unknown phenomenon, with answers that clearly demonstrate a lack of knowledge and experience.

the general lack of openness.

do some reading on how the universe works, physics and maybe a slap of chemistry.

i am a licensed mechanical engineer making money as a failure analyst. I follow nearly every branch of science. i own my own machine shop and build devices that are as modern as any u've seen and some that would blow your mind.

i am not speaking from ignorance.

Lay off the energy drinks too.....

i wouldn't drink that stuff if you paid me.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon

I think there's some fundamental principle

you mean hypothesis

there's no where near enough pressure to maintain a liquid state in interplanetary space.

deep impact found the comet body to be warm enough for liquid water : on the comet, not in the tail. None was actually found tho. it was simply the complex organic compounds sampled..the same that cannot form without water.. that implied liquid water. The estimates put the comet nucleus at 6% water. 6%

The ices of a comet sublimate directly from solid to gas as they heat up when they get closer to the sun.

The was NO ice found on the comet nucleus. Very dry 'talcum powder like' DUST heavy in complex compounds. no ice.
The largest coma ever seen surrounded a comet while it was out past Jupiter.
Jupiter.

'technically' be larger than Jupiter, or even the sun itself, it's like comparing a bowling ball to a balloon.

there is no technically: size is size. but yes comparing a coma to the sun is like comparing a bowling ball to a balloon.
and: a Sun sized balloon still has a shizzle ton of matter in it.

As far as your arguments regarding organics, I'm not even sure where you're trying to lead people with that, but you might want to look up what organics means.

organic material are complex hydrocarbons and clays. not life. tho life is made up of organic materials. The point is: its NOT ice!!!

sheesh.

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

You keep talking about requiring proof, but you have no proof of an electrical interaction between Elenin and the Sun. What you have is a CME. CME's are not rare and this is not the first time a comet has been hit by one. Also, it is not the only long period comet that "lies in the plane of the ecliptic." Both Comet Lulin and C/1980 E1 have orbital periods over 1,000 years and have inclinations comparable to Elenin.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

If you are going to argue science you should make sure to understand the subject before presenting "facts".

Water can only take the form of gas or solid in space, there is not enough pressure for it to exist in its liquid form.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Both Comet Lulin and C/1980 E1 have orbital periods over 1,000 years and have inclinations comparable to Elenin.

there are two comets called Lulin: one at over 10deg and another at 5deg. The 5deg comet doesn't even come closer than Earths orbit: no deep solar interaction then.

C/1980 E1 does indeed have a an orbit in plane at 1.66deg. But it has no listed orbital period, doesn't come much closer than Jupiter and was discovered in Sept of this year....

Neither are nearly as interesting as an in plane comet that got nailed by a CME and then spends 3 weeks flying past us practically next door.

how can this NOT be interesting?
lets just watch this thing and see what it does?

instead of arguing over theory we should be taking pictures and making sense of them.

do u have no curiosity?

As far as asking for proof: i'm not asking for proof that EU is correct, i'm asking for proof that 'iceball' theory is correct. I'm asking for data... DATA... that supports that theory.

not kind hearted suggestions to "go read up on science'.

the data does not support the hypothosis.

no ice found.
no gas venting.
no water in physically samples comas
no explanation for complex organics found on the nucli and meteors
no explanation for the obvious interactions between sun and comets
no way to explain how hot the comets were
no way to explain the inferred liquid water

thats 0/7

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: quoting

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: again

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

If you are going to argue science you should make sure to understand the subject before presenting "facts".

Water can only take the form of gas or solid in space, there is not enough pressure for it to exist in its liquid form.

thanks for the triplepoint diagram.

i said the water was inferred by our scientists, not found. i said it was on the nucleus not in space.

and it is very possible that enough pressure exists within the body of the nucleus to allow for liquid water. a simple closed clay (sampled at deep impact) pressurized by some volatile small hydrocarbon and heated (we cant explain how, but we measured it so we know its hot) and Bob's yer Uncle: liquid water.

listen guy, i make combustion fired boilers. i don't recommend trying to school me on thermodynamics
edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: italics

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: italics

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: again

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by galactix

Originally posted by ngchunter

Since when? This is not the first time a comet has disintegrated like this at perihelion.

it is the ONLY known comet with an orbital period over 1k years (out of like 1500 ish) that lies in the plane of the ecliptic.

I can't tell if you're just uninformed or deliberately lying, but either way, that statement is not true. C/2007 N3 is one recent example.

it passed near the Sol and experienced some kind of magnetic interaction that either broke it or extinguished its coma.

No, it's called disintegration, magnetism has nothing to do with it. It happens all the time to comets as I mentioned. I'm now leaning towards the second possibility, and I'm not really in the mood to deal with that.

it is without precedence.

I find your statement to be completely devoid of truth.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The was NO ice found on the comet nucleus. Very dry 'talcum powder like' DUST heavy in complex compounds. no ice.

Just plain wrong.
There are so many comet challenged posters here, it boggles the mind. Get your facts strait before you post non-science.

Deep Impact:
"Analysis of data from the Swift X-ray telescope showed that the comet continued outgassing from the impact for 13 days, with a peak five days after impact. A total of 5 million kilograms (11 million pounds) of water[36] and between 10 and 25 million kilograms (22 and 55 million pounds) of dust were lost from the impact.[34]"

Source: NASA mission notes as transcribed to Wikpedia.

The initial results, were the results that showed very little water. And, just so you understand that when the scientists are talking about water outgassing here, it is FROZEN water, eg... ice crystals.

HIgh Def impact timelapse
Impactor detects mighty water mass
edit on 27-10-2011 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon

I think there's some fundamental principle

you mean hypothesis

there's no where near enough pressure to maintain a liquid state in interplanetary space.

deep impact found the comet body to be warm enough for liquid water : on the comet, not in the tail. None was actually found tho. it was simply the complex organic compounds sampled..the same that cannot form without water.. that implied liquid water. The estimates put the comet nucleus at 6% water. 6%

The ices of a comet sublimate directly from solid to gas as they heat up when they get closer to the sun.

The largest coma ever seen surrounded a comet while it was out past Jupiter.
Jupiter.

'technically' be larger than Jupiter, or even the sun itself, it's like comparing a bowling ball to a balloon.

there is no technically: size is size. but yes comparing a coma to the sun is like comparing a bowling ball to a balloon.
and: a Sun sized balloon still has a shizzle ton of matter in it.

As far as your arguments regarding organics, I'm not even sure where you're trying to lead people with that, but you might want to look up what organics means.

organic material are complex hydrocarbons and clays. not life. tho life is made up of organic materials. The point is: its NOT ice!!!

sheesh.

edit on 26-10-2011 by galactix because: spelling

You know, I'm not really a big fan of going line by line responses to a post, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

The balloon to a bowling ball was a general comparison as one is very dense and the other is not, but even that does not do justice to difference in density of a coma and a planet.

Let's put it this way...the outer parts of the coma have a density so small that you might be inside of it and not realize it.

Organic compounds are basically any molecule containing carbon...because we are carbon-based life. It doesn't need to represent anything more complicated than that nor does it mean anything is out of the ordinary.

I can see that one of your main disputes is regarding people referring to comets as iceballs...such as Elenin being spoke of a little more than a dirty snowball. These are simply analogies...similar to my balloon and bowling ball comment.

Most objects that come from further out in the solar system have ices...that is, solid state matter of types that are typically not solid at average Earth temperature and pressure. One could technically refer to any solid as the ice version of that matter. The ices on a comet may be mostly H2O, but it is not limited to it. Because comets are small, they don't have much gravity of their own so when they get closer to the sun and those ices sublimate, the resulting gas will expand fairly easily and probably take some dust and such with them...the majority of which will escape. The size of the coma can be impressive sure, but in the end the most important factor there is the Density. It can't even compare to the density of a puff of cigarette smoke...even if you give the smoke time to disappate into the air of a room. That's what the gas of the coma is doing...constantly expanding as it escapes.

Now, none of this says that there isn't rock and other material on a comet, and the ices (as I said before) aren't necessarily going to be all water. To go back to your organics comments, there could be things like methane ice mixed in with the water and other types of ices.

If you think the terms 'dirty snowball' or 'iceball' are not accurate enough or are misleading to you, then I cannot say much as it's really just semantics.
edit on 27-10-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
guyz...

i'm done arguing theory with you.

in arguing these points with you and listenning to your responses, i remain (even more so) convinced that current theory is wrong,

If you disagree: ok, but i'm tired of arguing.

The point of this thread were OBSERVATIONS of comet Elenin, and it is to these that i am really interested.

i will post again when i have actual data.

till then, i bid u all, adieu.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

guyz...

i'm done arguing theory with you.

Theory? You said...

That's not a statement of theory, it's a statement of fact, and it is not true. C/2007 N3, C/1980 E1 ring any bells? How about C/1906 E1 and C/1743 C1? But oh well, I guess you were just arguing "theory."

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join