It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin spotted

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
no way suggests life or space creatures..

yah think?

the presence of organic material implies warmth, heat and complexity impossible in a "frozen iceball".

the presence of organic material cannot be explained by current comet theory.

thats the point.

not aliens...*shakes head*

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
LOL at the people in this thread that think Elenin is a hoax or that the remnants are a hoax. Elenin is real, so is its remnats. Elenin is now a cloud of matter that has been or will be showering the Earth. Does this mean anything bad will happen, NO!

Does this signal the Zombie Apocalypse? Maybe...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

That 'stuff' is sparser than the best vacuum we can make on earth, it is space particles highly light reflective and people call it mass, it is minute fine nothing that reflects light from the sun. Not anything magical, or electrical, or of intelligence. Just very fine dust spread out very far and very sparsely.

"captured material from Comet Wild's coma in early Janurary 2004 and returned the microscopic dust grains embedded in aerogel to Earth in mid-January 2006. It found that Comet Wild like Comet Tempel is also made of a mixture of materials with high and low melting temperatures."
source

Pretty sure our best vacuums on earth don't include "grains".

so electrical = magical, eh?
no wonder you can not imagine an electrical solar system.

i am done arguing with you, Illustronic.

next?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

patience is good practice, lad.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

Why would a rouge dwarf brown star strike you as curious? Do you think evey failed star deserves to form a solar system, oh wait, I did say failed didn't I.

Electromagnetism is a result of mass, not the other way around.

Folks, I believe we have an EU supporter here. So don't wait for any calculations, they don't use math.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

It was just glycine.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Do you need a sample of every comet to prove a theory? Do you really or would one find enough supporting data to confirm the compositions of what spectrometer signals are detected. Do you know how that even works?

i want to see data that confirms theory. None that we have gathered support current theory. There are NO data that support "iceball" theory. No ice. Liquid water in fact. Very little of that tho: less than 6%. Organic material. not rock. Porous dark and quiet. Not solid frozen and gassing.

it doesn't add up: just sayin'

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

You have to remember that the water/ice once turned to gas occupies a much greater space, and it only leaves the comet once it is close enough to the sun for the solar winds and particles to start having an effect, once it moves away it stops releasing material.

wait, what: gas occupies more volume than liquid/solid? r u sure? lol.

whew

i don't care how low the density is, if i can see it from Earth and it's bigger than Jupiter, then there's a shizzle ton of stuff in that volume. And we have YET to image a comet spewing this "gas". which is, in fact, more than gas. read my posts.

dooder you gotta stop just regurgitating and think a bit: srsly.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

well i live in south florida at the very southern tip and while driving south on the dixie highway i saw what appeared to be a meteor it was a bright green object with a little trail on it it streaked across the sky at 10:30 eastern time oct/25/11 for a couple seconds and looked like it hit a couple miles off shore in the atlantic. it would be reasonable to think that this is part of the trail because of what happened in Australia
www.livescience.com...
edit on 25-10-2011 by GodlyHavoc because: added what time

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Nobody said it is water gas, though hydrogen is like 88% of the mass of the universe and oxygen is third at about 8%. It doesn't mean water can exist in a vacuum in fact, we have much supporting data that suggests that water in space is impossible unless enough pressure is exerted on the molecular structure temporarily.

Gas just means not liquid or solid, or plasma.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodlyHavoc

it would be reasonable to think that this is part of the trail because of what happened in Australia
www.livescience.com...
edit on 25-10-2011 by GodlyHavoc because: added what time

It would be reasonable to think many things: not all of which are correct. There's no way of knowing where that meteor u saw came from, tho i personally would not put the blame on Elenin fragments. If we were passing thru the area of Elenin's orbit, then...maybe.

shrug.

from your link:
""A transient electrical link between the ionosphere and ground, created by meteors or some other means, could help to solve the mystery of many UFO sightings," Hughes told LiveScience."

more "magic" apparently....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Looks that way because you are so far away and can nearly see a threshold. It's actually very sparse. It didn't even interfere with the Stardust spacecraft now explain that! Non-electrical now one would surmise.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
either a) the governments of the world nuked elenin to dust to save earth or

b) the alpha centaurians did it from their base deep underground in the hollow core of the moon because their government cut funding and if the earth was destroyed, they would lose their moon base.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Comets dont just dissapeare nor do they break up and go poof. What I wana know is what were they tracking and where did it go.

exactly, the media is banking on people being dumb and not knowing the rule of every molecule that exists in our universe - IT HAS ITS OWN GRAVITY. so breaking it up just redirects energy into a new rearrangement, as comets and asteroids all have their own gravity no matter how small, heck thats how huge planets form from a a 'tiny' asteroid or comet the size of or smaller than a pinhead.

so comet Elenin is reforming and in a way, the gas cloud being spread out more over more volume is WORSE than it was when it was smaller and more dense.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Deleted...
edit on 26/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

so comet Elenin is reforming and in a way, the gas cloud being spread out more over more volume is WORSE than it was when it was smaller and more dense.

Ignant,

It's not about better or worse.
Elenin is not going to affect us physically: no planet killers, no lethal gas or lethal bits of hypersonic comet material.

What Elenin presents is an opportunity to observe and measure the dynamics of our solar system and to test our current hypothesis, and if said hypothesis comes up short, then it needs to be re-examined and possibly abandoned for something that explains the data.

I find this far more exciting than doom.

But apparently, even on the fringe: regurgitation, close mindedness and sheer ignorance abounds.

i expected more educated free thinkers here.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by galactix
it is an extremely interesting object with no recorded precedence.

Since when? This is not the first time a comet has disintegrated like this at perihelion. In fact, one astronomer even predicted it would disintegrate. You're saying Comet C/1999 S4, C/2009 O1, Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, Biela, etc are not precedence?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by galactix

dooder you gotta stop just regurgitating and think a bit: srsly.

You know what, I have no idea where you are going with this, and I have just lost interest. If you cannot accept science/basic astronomy as an answer as to what is going on, then I can't help you.

You seem angry..are you angry? You should take a deep breath, calm down, and do some reading on how the universe works, physics and maybe a slap of chemistry.

Lay off the energy drinks too.....

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I think there's some fundamental principle you must be missing when it comes to comets.

As far as the comas and tails of comets go...there's no where near enough pressure to maintain a liquid state in interplanetary space. The ices of a comet sublimate directly from solid to gas as they heat up when they get closer to the sun. (look up dry ice to see examples on Earth) One basic fact of a gas is that they expand to fill the volume of the area they occupy unless acted upon by something outside, like the solar wind.

The gases are blown off the comet and expand and then are blown back by the solar wind (this is why a comet's tail always points away from the sun), creating the tail and the coma. Just because the coma may 'technically' be larger than Jupiter, or even the sun itself, it's like comparing a bowling ball to a balloon.

As far as your arguments regarding organics, I'm not even sure where you're trying to lead people with that, but you might want to look up what organics means. It might not mean what you think it means.

Organic Compounds
edit on 26-10-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
LOL at the people in this thread that think Elenin is a hoax or that the remnants are a hoax. Elenin is real, so is its remnats. Elenin is now a cloud of matter that has been or will be showering the Earth. Does this mean anything bad will happen, NO!

Does this signal the Zombie Apocalypse? Maybe...

Actually, the people calling Elenin a hoax are referring to the doomsday scenarios people are dreaming up to scare the ignorant with...which most-definitely ARE hoaxes.

So instead of the doomsdayers flipping the switch to some new story or twist of the same, they're trying to twist what others have said after the fact now?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join