It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EL HIERRO volcano in the Canary Islands is not being reported by United States

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
El Hierro volcano has had 10,000 quakes in two months, and erupted under the sea last week. The problem is that this volcano is only 60 miles south of the island of La Palma which has a volcano called El Cumbre Veja that has a destabilized western flank. If La Palma should start to experience quakes and the western flank of El Cumbre give way, it will take out the ENTIRE east coast of the U.S. with waves of 1000' high and speed of 800 to 1000 miles an hour reaching the U.S. in six hours with the destruction going in 25 miles at least. Any one doubting this can look up EL Cumbre Veja on Wikipedia and for information on El Hierro please go to extinction
protocol.com Irishweather is the only site giving out up to date information.
Sensitive equiptment on La Palma was stolen that would give up the earliest warnings of possible eruption and the quakes coming off of El Hierro have now moved from south of the island to the north of the island which faces La Palma and El Cumbre Veja.
Tell everyone you know that might live on the East Coast to start to pay attention to this. The government is saying nothing and as far as I can tell, they have no evacuation drills for the east coast, no shake out plans and no tsunami warnings. I could be wrong, but so far, doesn't look good. Odd.....

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why do we need to worry about this in the states?
It is not a threat
the location of the Island "if it erupts" wont pose a threat to the US..
edit on 23-10-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bwcawaterbear

Cool.
Bring it.

If the East coast disappears under water, it may very well solve some problems in the U.S.

Is there a time frame for the big event? Do I have time to get my board waxed and set up in a sweet spot to surf that thing?

edit on 23-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As far as doom and gloom goes, this one is no joke.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Just watch D.C., you'll see the rats abandon ship before anything happens.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Do you have a source? I would
like to know the status of the
volcano you are referring to?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've done some research on this in the past. I was unaware that La Palma had some sensors stolen or compromised. This activity generally has been off the grid even in many European areas. I think the only ones taking this seriously are those in the immediate vicinity. Odds of a 1000 foot tsunami hitting the east coast is very slim, though it has been proven possible. There are other scenarios that also lend themselves to that type of incident. so although possible, it isn't likely to happen as some websites out there maintain.
However, that is no reason to turn your face from the east and not be alert to the possibility. In any case of disaster, it is often those who are not prepared that are hit the hardest.
La Palma seems not to be involved as yet, but if sensors are missing there may not be as many good readings as needed...The data could be flawed so that is something that needs considered.
Folks on the east coast do need to stay alert for many things. Complacency is a dangerous game to play.
DH

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

:shk:

www.drgeorgepc.com...

The upper limit of his modeling study shows that the east coast
of the U.S. and the Caribbean would receive waves less than 3
meters high. The European and African coasts would have waves
less than 10 meters high. However, full Navier-Stokes modeling
of the same La Palma failure, brings the maximum expected tsunami
wave amplitude off the U.S. east coast to about one meter.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

Do you have a source? I would
like to know the status of the
volcano you are referring to?

Here are two.

CNNTech

and

El Hierro Volcano

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gamesmaster63

Thanks so much for the links -
off to do some reading now.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

The El Hierro volcano poses no threat to the Eastern Seaboard of the United States but an Island further south is another island with a volcano named La Palma.

La Palma is the one we need to watch out for. If La Palma were to erupt it could possibly cause half of the island to side in to the Atlantic causing a tsunami that would make the 2004 tsunami look small in comparison and the one in 04 kill almost 300,000 people and did a few billion in damages.

How bad could it be? Well if the volcano erupts and cause the western side of the island to slide in to the Atlantic it would generate a wave some where between 150 - 200ft high. The tsunami would then travel across the ocean at the speed of a jet airliner. It would take almost 8 hours for it to cross the Atlantic so at the very least we'd have plenty of warning. and for those of you who are wondering we do have a tsunami early warning system in the Atlantic. When the tsunami reaches shore it would destroy everything along the coast, and travel in land for hundreds of miles!

Every State from Maine to Florida would be devastated! Florida would be hit the hardest since it highest point it only 30 ft or so, the tsunami would go right over the top of Florida washing everything in its path away. The only refuge for the people in this area it to exit the area or get in upper floors of high rises and pray they survive the tsunami. Basically if your in Florida you dead and with a population of almost 16 million that's a lot of people. This would also be a problem for everyone along the coast line, there is no possible way to evacuate everyone from the tsunami's path, millions will die.

But the ones that die might be the lucky ones, everything will be destroyed by the 200 ft wave. Figure everything east of the Appalachian's (save those places at a high enough elevation) would be gone, no food, no water, everything destroyed! Trillions of dollars in damage, even Washington D.C. would not be spared. This would probably be the worst disaster in recorded human history.

It never been a matter of what will happen but when.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Not at all. Just a massive Tsunami to the East coast of the US due to possible landslides.
edit on 23-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
well,.
I am still willing to stand by "no worries"
Guess we will see
What, they would tell us about the threat of a hurricane but not a potential Tsunami?
there are obvious reasons why this isnt news worthy

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Here's a link to monitoring for El Hierro. It's in Spanish.

www.01.ign.es...

Here's an example of the data to be found:

edit on 10/23/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: pic

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Absolutely correct. I also believed that most of the theories involved in the Cumbre Vieja scenario had been 'shot down' academically.

Iv spent a lot of time in the Canaries and frankly it's fascinating geologically. Lanzarote is great for walking around the old lava tubes / caves (and having meat cooked on lava fires). I would be a bit freaked out if i was in El Hierro at present though, especially as the under water eruptions appear to be getting closer and closer to the shore line and the magma is clearly on the move.

Pico del Teide in Tenerife would be the one to worry me though. If that ever goes off to its capability, you wouldn't have much chance anywhere on the island. They were worried a couple of years ago by the increase in seismic activity (including a magnitude 4 EQ) but thankfully nothing since. There is actually a cable car running up to the crater of Teide - freakiest journey i have ever taken in my life. You are busy looking out of the window at the weird and wonderful landscape thinking to yourself "was that a rumble i just heard"

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just thought I would check in to see if this "group"of volcanoes have erupted in a
most dangerous fury and created that catastrohic wave of death that was to destroy
the east coast that soooo many have feared... here.
And.. nope.. I see nothing has happened yet..*big sigh*..

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Read the article again that I posted. The sources are listed.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You couldn;t be more wrong, if El Cumbre Veja erupts and it;s west flank destabilizes even more and slips it will wipe out the entire east coast. Look up El Cumbre Veja in Wikipedia.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Thank you for your reply, as I told our son who lives in Boston, "I didn't raise you to be a statistic."

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Nat Geo Just ran a show on this yesterday. The experts say the waves could be a few feet to a few 100 ft. Not 1000's. The coast will be devistated, but inland will be ok, I live in central Fl and am looking forward to my new beach front property.

GLP has a running thread of people following this event.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join