It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Nina Returns! Are We in for a Whacky Winter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Start prepping now if you live in one of these areas. Especially the East. They are talking from 30 to 50% greater than the median precip. level.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted Thursday that La Nina and the Arctic Oscillation would bring a colder and wetter winter season to the Northwest and central regions of the country--and potentially another ‘Snowmaggedon’ to the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

At the same time, NOAA is predicting below average precipitation across the southern United States, with "severe drought" continuing through the winter across the Southern Plains.

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

It's a good time to get your emergency essentials in order for your house as well as your vehicle.

Here is a good reference source to use a planning tool.
thesurvivalmom.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thats just great... we just broke our all-time precipitation record yeserday. We've had more rain this year than any other in recorded hisrory. Hopefully we won't break our snowfall record this year too! I'm off near Cleveland btw.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i live in ontario, in snow belt, and in between a bunch of great lakes. "snowmageddon" is normality. as much as it sucks.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Sooooo.....you are the one who stole all of our rain? We would appreciate it if you would send some of that to Texas.
ASAP
Pleeeeease!?!?

Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

The Winter forecast is not good for you down in Texas. Not good. Sorry about your situation down there. It seems like it is either all or nothing with the weather these days.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If we get snow and wind like the rain and wind we have had for the last 3 days were screwed.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
Sooooo.....you are the one who stole all of our rain? We would appreciate it if you would send some of that to Texas.

No kidding! We just started stage 3 water rationing today, we can water our yards only once every 2 weeks. No new swimming pools or irrigation systems can be installed and no landscaping can be planted until stage 3 is lifted. No ornamental fountains can be run. This will be in effect until at least March and they're not sure what's going to happen after March if we don't get some rain. The main reservoir for the DFW area is Lake Lavon and it's 13' below normal. Normally they'd pump water from Texoma to replenish it, but Texoma has a plague of Zebra Mussels right now and they're paranoid that they'll get into other lakes if they pump water out of it. We're on black clay and all the yards in our area are parched with HUGE cracks running several feet deep (I've checked with a rod) all over the place. I'm not kidding when I say you have to be very careful walking off of pavement right now, you can quite literally break an ankle or leg if you fall into one of these giant cracks. It's crazy, if this is a taste of what global warming is going to do to the world then all I've got to say is we better start working on underground bunkers right now.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

SERVER NOT FOUND

got a page error... who would of thought NOAA would get zonked...

finally a page loaded, and of interest to me is this:

...Florida and south Atlantic Coast: drier than average, with an equal chance for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures. Above normal wildfire conditions;
~from OP Link~

50-50 chance of either lower temps/ normal temps/ higher temps.....
WOW aren't they taking a fence sitter position !

well at least their is no hurricane's forecast between now and Dec 1st
edit on 20-10-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Predicting snow for the Northwest is a big deal.. we get a quarter of an inch of snow in the valleys and the whole of society shuts down....

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Agree, pretty middle of the fence, and oh by the way, maybe not, maybe so.

“The evolving La Niña will shape this winter,” said Mike Halpert, deputy director of NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “There is a wild card, though. The erratic Arctic Oscillation can generate strong shifts in the climate patterns that could overwhelm or amplify La Niña’s typical impacts.”

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The UK is expecting early snow again this year, could be an interesting winter. Unfortunately our elderly are dying because they are choosing between eating and heating, so please help a neighbour this winter

top topics

join