It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to address a few things Australia, if you hate Social security then read on...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Not really sure if this is the right forum but i'm sure our friends, the mods, will make any changes nessecary

I read ALOT of sentiment on this site about peoples hatred towards social security. I also read ALOT of people bagging out the OWS protestors.

I can totally understand where both points of view are coming from, I needn't explain this as the reasons for having the above stated opinions are pretty clear, straightforward and logical.
But if you dig a little deeper on both subjects and, to a greater extent, walk in the worn out shoes of the latter, then i believe that the open-minded individual will notice, if they are really trying to learn something, that the surface image is an abberation of what lies underneath.

OWS Protest's: This is short and simple. The biggest benefit of the growing OWS movement is Advertising. The MSM will not advertise these events and forums such as this one will only reach so many people. I'm guessing that the owners of billboards are not going to want to rent space to OWS supporters so the logical thing to do is get out there in the streets, get the average joe's attention and show them what the score is.
So to summerize; The protests bring in people who otherwise wouldn't have heard about it.

Social Security: Obviously there are many people in different parts of different SS having countries that take advantage of social security. It may surprise people to learn that among the many haters of (in Australian vernacular) Dole Bludgers, are other, honest recipients of social security.
This, rarely mentioned percentage of social security recipients (in Australia anyway) are only making use of social security to make ends meet till their luck comes back and they find another job.
While they are unemployed they:
1. Cannot enjoy the nicer things in life
2. Suffer from constant worry and stress over bills and the like
3. Get embaressed when asked what they do for a living
4. Get left out of social events because they can't afford to attend
5. Are often unable to better themselves through education as the costs are prohibitive
6. Have extreme trouble forming lasting, meaningful relationships/families as they cannot support the many cost's associated with it.
7. Can't buy nice, tasty, healthy food instead having to make do with highly processed, low nutrient items.
8. Can't afford medical expense's
9. Can't provide a good life for their children
10. Are treated VERY differently by most people due to the massive difference in lifestyle and culture.
11. Have to deal with being constantly bombarded by commercials advertising things they can't have.
12. Are basically ostricized from society because of all of the above.

The list goes on.
So in the future when you want to voice or in some way express your anger over the 'Dole Bludgers' out there, please do not lump them into the same group, it's unfair and ignorant and it's the kind of attitude that keeps us all divided.

The man who hungers fights so much harder for something more then the man who has plenty.
So who's REALLY the lazy one? The one who struggles with all of these issues and more, everyday or the man who has peace, comfort and security and doesn't even bother to examine things before they throw stones?

This second half of the post was directed at many people i have encountered in my life, but was specifically directed at one ATS member who has a rather ignorant and insulting remark about social security in his signature which is something to the effect of: "Work Harder, social security recipients are counting on you"

I'm not allowed to swear on this forum, suffice to say Blank you Blank hole. May you live in interesting times.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I should be giving away my occupation but here it goes. I don't work for Centrelink but I do work in community services and I can tell you that most people in receipt of newstart or the disability support pension or youth allowance don't want to be there.

Gillard and the labor party used the misplaced and ill informed mentality of the general public and rode the dole bludger horse all the way to the changes she has made and now people who were already disadvantaged are hurting even more and it makes my blood boil.

She has stopped newstart for people under 25 ( the majority who are looking for work) with that earn or learn crap. So now the rules are that if you live at home up to 25 it's up to your parents to support you unless you're a student of some kind and then you only receive $100 per week.

The fact you have to vote at 18 means nothing to them. Raise the age of voting then labor you cowards!

Alot of families can support their children who are looking for work but alot now have an extra cost and the living standard has been lowerd.

Labor must go as they're turning our nation into a backward 3rd world country. How long until they destroy national healthcare?

They're already about to stop the EPC scheme which is free dental for sick people such as children who are fighting cancer and need their teeth fixed as a result of treatment of the cancer.

And the damn Greens are supporting this crap in parliment as a result of their behind closed doors deals they made at that last sham they called an election. Anything to get the carbon tax through.

Also the people who work for Centrelink hate what this government has done as well for the most part and alot of phone calls as part of my job with these people give me faith in the staff there. Also the SSAT is working hard these days and they don't like Centrelink.

This is what happens when a Welsh immigrant becomes PM. Wales. A country which has never enjoyed our high living standard and I bet the Gillard grew up to the rants of her pro union, these Aussies have got it to good, parents.

I see the outcome everyday and it breaks my heart. Labor must go!!!!!!!!!
edit on 20-10-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Well i voted for rudd, not for a conniving, back-stabbing, two-faced Ranga swine, thats for sure.
But it was howard that brought in certain other reforms that did not make life any easier.

So Labour, Liberal or (snicker) greens, doesn't seem to matter who you vote in, they are all so far removed from what it is to be a normal Australian that they will never be able to understand, if they would even want to that is.

I would have joined the defense force but since anyone in this beautiful country can slap an AVO (apprehended violence order) on anyone else with out a slither of evidence and the fact that an AVO carries with it a 7 year ban from having a firearms license then i guess that option is out for a while yet.

Good to hear the voice of a network agency (if i'm not mistaken) employee showing support, gotta admit, after over two years of being sent to pointless 'activities' that involved re-working my resume every week and applying for jobs online despite the fact it doesn't seem to work (rather then training programs designed to get me qualified for more work) I was begining to lose faith in the whole damn system.

Thank you for your kind words and support.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
###BUMP###

I really want more people to read this, particulary Australian people.
Please keep this one current by flagging and starring it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Most people receiving benefits do not want to. They become depressed from everything that they can't have and do. I was unemployed when I was trying to break into the work force and it was not pretty. You sink further and further into the spiral the longer you are unemployed and, for some, it is hard to break out of that spiral once the depression, low self esteem and low confidence sets in. I am so sick of off shore manufacturing and the like - that is what is killing Australia. We have more than capable people to employ here and Australia is so full of natural resources we do not need China. Boycott all products made in China (or the best to your ability).

edit on 20/10/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
nice thread thanks

I know plenty of folks on the dole and they dont get enough to pay for a car and travel cost to even get to a job interview

we need to do more to support our fellow aussies and assist them to gain menaingful employment

there are more jobs in AU at the minute than people to fill them

despite what people think , sweet FA of our tax dollars is spent on providing food and shelter and clothing to our unemployed, and far too much wasted on pathetic anti-social policies

just remember that the matrix depends on tax dollars, and thus those without ability to pay tax, are 'non-people'

just look at our indigenous - they cant get a car loan, home loan, nothing - they are off the grid, and the petty communist labour regime thinks that saying they threw money at the indigenous is solving their 'issues'

go home ju liar , miss communist 2011

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I'll probably offend a few people but my biggest gripe about SS is single mother payments..

I know plenty and they ALL lied on their forms saying they didn't know who the father is..

The Government doesn't seem to care enough to investigate and with modern science you'd think it would be easy to establish who the father is and make them pay..

I'm sorry but I've raised my kids into adulthood with precious little assistance from the Government and I'm sick and tired of my high tax dollars paying for someone else's kids..

Of course there are poor single mothers out there that FULLY deserve what they get and probably would get more if these lying freeloaders were dealt with.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana

Most people receiving benefits do not want to. They become depressed from everything that they can't have and do. I was unemployed when I was trying to break into the work force and it was not pretty. You sink further and further into the spiral the longer you are unemployed and, for some, it is hard to break out of that spiral once the depression, low self esteem and low confidence sets in. I am so sick of off shore manufacturing and the like - that is what is killing Australia. We have more than capable people to employ here and Australia is so full of natural resources we do not need China. Boycott all products made in China (or the best to your ability).

edit on 20/10/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

Yup, that is where i am right now. Had a job interview for the first time in over 12 months the other day, for a night shift at an Adelaide Subway (sandwich shop that is) me and 30 other people turned up, half of them foreign students and people newly emigrated to Australia.
Got home from doing a cert 3 in Business Admin (secutary) course and opened the mail. It read as follows:

Dear Sean (yeah thats right i don't care if you know my name)

Thank you for taking the time to apply for the recently advertised Subway position. We've had a great response from applicants all over the state.
At this time there is not a match between your requirements and our objectives (i should add at this time that my 'requirements were, Any work, Any time, Any pay, no demands just please give me work

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I'll probably offend a few people but my biggest gripe about SS is single mother payments..

I know plenty and they ALL lied on their forms saying they didn't know who the father is..

The Government doesn't seem to care enough to investigate and with modern science you'd think it would be easy to establish who the father is and make them pay..

I'm sorry but I've raised my kids into adulthood with precious little assistance from the Government and I'm sick and tired of my high tax dollars paying for someone else's kids..

Of course there are poor single mothers out there that FULLY deserve what they get and probably would get more if these lying freeloaders were dealt with.

No offence here, I actually knew someone....infact two someones who do exactly what you describe.
They both live in NSW and i was silly enough to attempt a relationship with one of them (long story, depression made me lower my standards, won't happen again)
They know EXACTLY who the father's of their children are.
My Ex, has 9 children (i know, i'm an idiot but to be fair i didn't know about them when i met her) the latest child was concieved while i was with her (not my child) when she cheated on me with a fijian person who tried to stab me. The aforementioned fijian chap who shall remain nameless quickly denied all responsibility after she dumped me to be with him, at which point she tried to get me back.
Given that i am white and she is white and the baby is brown with prominent islander features it didn't take a geneologist to realize that i had no obligation to remain a part of that train wreck.

Poor kid. the kid is the only reason i hung around so long.

So yeah, i know where your coming from.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I am on benefits in the UK and you can be damn sure I didn't want to be on them, unfortunately I got ill lost my career in London where all my friends live, forced to move back to my parents who live in the arse end of nowhere.
Lost my social life and lost my dating life, I mean someone who is on benefits and lives at home with their retired parents is hardly catch of the day. I can't afford a place of my own, so I have also lost the privacy I once enjoyed. Still I get a cup of tea brought to my bed each morning, so it aint all bad.

But I would give benefits up in a flash, if I could get my old life back, to not have an illness and to enjoy the life so many of my peers are enjoying.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I hear that buddy.
Thanks to my brother and best friend i was able to move out of my parents house in the arse-end of nowhere and live in the big city (Adelaide, ok not that big but still...) So i've been where you are as well, minus the illness.

Hope you can find some meaning and purpose mate, my heart goes out.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Australia has low unemployment.Even miners of BHP Bilton earn 200,000$+.are you a male or female?

is this due to indian and other asian immigrants?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Yep, I know heaps of them and they mostly all smoke,drink and party on..
Oh and they loved the baby bonus and the other Government hand out to "supposedly" help the children..
They all bought things like plasma TV's,phones and one even went to Bali, minus her kid..

I don't mind paying crazy tax rates to help people but the TRUE people in need would get far more if these freeloaders were caught out..

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

then these freeloaders will resort to other tricks to trick others.

To weed out freeloaders voice stress analysis,psychtropic truth medicine or polygraph should suffice.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
We have a better system here. No need to worry about bills or just barely make it with food. Our SS guarantees a minimum income for people. That includes entertainment and such so it's not just barely making it. It's a better system because untill you can come up with a world where there is jobs for everyone who wants one saying SS is bad is idiotic. With poor SS you are just punishing someone for being human in this kind of world.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil

Australia has low unemployment.Even miners of BHP Bilton earn 200,000$+.are you a male or female?

is this due to indian and other asian immigrants?

Well the unemployment figure is based on the numbers of people who are on SS and not currently studying or participating in certain scheme's so you can pretty much double (or even triple if you include the homeless and indiginous populations) any figure that you see on the news. It's about 5 or 6 % i think, so my estimate for the ACTUAL figure is closer to 14 or 15 %

I am Male and do not have the various qualifications to be employed by the mine's (welding, drivers license, etc)
I cannot afford to get the nessecary qualifications and the support network (that consist's of privatly owned and operated sub-contractors who handle SS 'clients' on behalf of the government) do not get the kind of government funding (grant's) to be paying for it either. An example: Drivers license, they won't help unless you already have a job requiring a license,

Immigration is definatly an issue but i think it's unfair to lay the blame on them as they are only trying to get out of their own S-hole countries and better themselves and our government encourages them to do so.
Having said that, at least half of the people at my job interview the other day were new to the country and of Asian origin, Half of them could only speak broken english.

This is a problem at the highest level's of government and as an unemployed person doesn't pay tax we are 'Non-people' and therefore the only use we have to the mainstream is to fill a blank 10-15 min segment of a current affairs program once a month usually titled something like "Dole Bludgers, stealing your tax money' or something equally as ridiculous and demeaning.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Mate, my youngest son was unemployed for a few months..
I checked up for him and Centrelink paid for him to get his forklift license..
That got him a job pretty quick though oddly he never drove the forklift..

Please look into what you can get by way of training etc..
It all helps..

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
We have a better system here. No need to worry about bills or just barely make it with food. Our SS guarantees a minimum income for people. That includes entertainment and such so it's not just barely making it. It's a better system because untill you can come up with a world where there is jobs for everyone who wants one saying SS is bad is idiotic. With poor SS you are just punishing someone for being human in this kind of world.

Well said. What country are you from btw?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

whats the problem with getting a driver's license.Frankly,this is sad,whats happening in Australia.Citizens should be given first preference for jobs.atleast in UAE and Qatar this is the law and they are extremely prosperous. even in Russia this is true ,but is not implemented in all companies.

Reading the news I always thought Australia is the land of opportunity,wealth and freedom.Good luck to you and now I think I understand aussies are 'racist' as alleged by indians and the pakis.I have had my nation Serbia overrun by criminal albanian gangsters and NATO the great narcotics dealer( and sex trafficker) and I understand.
You people are protecting employment opportunities and rightfully so.Indians are a bunch of cowardly backstabbers who say something and do something.

edit on 20-10-2011 by USAisdevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

A forklift ticket is one of the things i have been asking about. Infact it is a priority of mine as soon as i finish's the four week Business Admin course i managed to wrangle out of them. If i can get some part time work (not much, just enough to save up about $1000) then i can get a car/bike and a license and my problems will be dramatically reduced.
Are you aware of the 'Stream' system?
It is a system that centrefink uses to basically pidgeon hole people. It has four streams. Your son would have been in stream one, it's for people who only recently lost their job or are coming out of school. They don't interact with stream 1 people much, preffering to leave them to sort it out. they also don't give them many 'working credits' which is a figure representing the amount of money they can spend on you.
If after several months you are still unemployed you go to stream 2. In stream 2 you start to get some interaction, they suggest training courses for you and all is well. you also get a boost in working credits to pay for stuff like training.
Stream 3 is where the long term unemployed end up (about a year unemployed) they start to have their affairs macro-managed by the network agency assigned to them. this can be annoying sometimes as they often interfere with your own plans, but help is help right?
Stream 4. For the terminally unemployed or sick or disabled. In this infamous stream you get almost every minute of your day micro-managed. This can be extremely irritating as they don't really always work with you but rather insist that you do whatever your told, regardless of whether or not it has a goal at the end.
This is the stream i find myself in now. The one advantage is that you hit 1000 working credits, the irony is that in stream 3 you get 2000 or more credits.
Stream 4 = they have given up and just want to keep you out of the unemployment figure for the next election.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join