It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy George; 99% Printing Infographics On $1 Bills

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

There's something going on with Occupy Wall Street—good, bad, monumental, anarchy, I don't know—but there is a clear disparity between the 1% and the 99% and the voice of the 99% is slowly ringing louder. Here's one way to get the 1% to pay even more attention: taint their money. Occupy George is a movement that hopes to print and stamp infographics that highlight the economic disparity in the US and then circulate that money around the world. The point being they could ignore and muzzle the Occupy Wall Street movement but the 1% can't ignore the money.

I like this idea. It certainly will spread the message around, and may even get a few of the big shots attention. I remember similar campaigns failing rather miserably but I think there are going to be enough people getting behind this that one of these bills may end up in my wallet. I highly doubt rich bankers even know what a $1 bill is though, and as the article suggests maybe this should be transferred to $100s as well. So what say you ATS, good idea or more annoying hippie BS? I'm actually going to go with good idea this time. Looking up the legality of this after I post.

Occupy George Website

Gizmodo

Appears this IS LEGAL:

It has long been believed that writing, drawing, or making any mark on U.S. currency is defacing currency, and is illegal. This is not true for paper money, however, only for coins. Paper money is held to different rules then coins, and legally be 'deface' by a user who draws on it or otherwise marks it. There are some things that you cannot due to paper money, however, and that includes: - Destroying: You cannot destroy, tear, or mutilate paper money so that it is no longer usable or recognizable. - Altering: You cannot alter paper money in such a way that it is no longer recognizable, or so that it appears to be worth a different value than it is. For example, if you stamp a logo on the paper money, it will probably be fine. If you alter the number and image on it so that it appears to be worth more (making $1 look like $10, for example), then you are committing fraud, creating counterfeit money, and you will arrested.

Source
edit on 17-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
looks cool

would all that void the bill? or would it still be usable?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

I've used bills that were in much worse condition, but technically I'm not sure. Need to go look up if it's legal now. Don't want anyone getting in trouble.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The intent behind Occupy George is not to render any money unfit to be reissued, and in fact the hope is that all stamped money will circulate as much as possible, passing knowledge to all those who come across the bills.

From Occupy George website.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
FINALLY! A OWS IDEA THAT I AGREE WITH! S&F WITH YOU!
Although I do think this might void the bill, but it will still spead a message... What if you put the graphic in time sensitive ink? put it on right before you pay?

link   
Who cares if the "elite" ever see it?

Hundreds of normal people will see it. Maybe more. This is a GREAT way to spread this message and get people interested in figuring out for themselves whether or not this is true and if so, is it fair that the middle and lower classes have seen a steady drop in wages for the past 30 years.

I love the way the bill demonstrates how wealth is distributed. I would very seriously stamp this on every bill I have before spending it, $1 or otherwise.

link   
Ha, I love it.

I hope this really catches on.

Infographics are a really good tool in this fight

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184
FINALLY! A OWS IDEA THAT I AGREE WITH! S&F WITH YOU!
Although I do think this might void the bill, but it will still spead a message... What if you put the graphic in time sensitive ink? put it on right before you pay?

or maybe Photosensitive ink, it shows up when its in the sun.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Go to the website, download the template and just print it onto the bills. Easier than buying a stamp! You are of course correct, it is a great way to spread the OWS message.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's not "legal" to deface currency.

Remember the "Where's George?" stamps? Same idea - not legal but unless they change something these bills will remain in circulation until they are phased out and replaced in the normal process. It's too time consuming and costly to pull every bill that has writing out of circulation, destroy and replace it. These bills would be accepted at stores and would change hands quickly.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Or you could just write in big letters: FUTURE PROPERTY OF THE 1% *smallfont* www.abovetopsecret.com

I still like the time/photo ink because I dont want to go to a resturant and the person be like ._. you call this money??

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It is illegal to deface, alter or disfigure currency.

uscode.house.gov...

United States Code
TITLE 18 – CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I – CRIMES
CHAPTER 17 – COINS AND CURRENCY
§ 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

link   
reply to post by Domo1

This reminds me of the various PSYOP programs where they would print money on one side with a mesage on the other side and do leaflet drops. Hundreds of thousand of leaflets spread a long way.

I'm curious as to when OWS finds a pilot willing to risk his/her pilots license to do something similiar.

link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Check the OP, it appears it is actually legal. Just popped that in. Going to find more sources though. Honestly, no real way to catch you anyway and it's not hurting anything.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

unfit to be reissued

I think that really only means if the bill is no longer recognizable, or if the amount is altered. I think it's legal. Hell I have to talk to my lawyer today about some bidness I think I'll see if he can help out.

If you take a look at the legal disclaimer I posted a few posts up or on the Occupy George site it seems to indicate the same thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Very cool but it is against the law to do so..........But the good news the fine is only $100.00.......but I am sure the Gov could make that hundred per each bill disfaced.......

Specifically, this is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code, which says that “whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.” The law is enforced by the Secret Service.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Very cool but it is against the law to do so..........But the good news the fine is only $100.00.......but I am sure the Gov could make that hundred per each bill disfaced.......

Specifically, this is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code, which says that “whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.” The law is enforced by the Secret Service.

like anyone actually enforces that LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

That was changed back in 1994

uscode.house.gov...

AMENDMENTS
1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for
"fined not more than $2,000".

'fined under this title' effectively gives a court the authority to impose whatever fine they deem appropriate

link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

They say it's illegal to destroy the bill, not mark things on it.

As long as one does not alter the amount or make the bill unrecognizable, it's perfectly legal.

link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Haha, their gonna lock up my 2 year old
i told her to stay out of my purse and leave my money alone. But nooo, she just has to write on it and tear it up!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
HAS ANYONE EVEN CONSIDERED MY NOTION? SO WHAT IF IT'S ILLEGAL IF THEY CANT SEE IT UNTILL 20 MINUTES LATER YOUVE LEFT OR WHEN IT HITS SUNLIGHT!!

Errr, stop trying to find if its legal and find a way to get around its illegality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join