It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby monitor really creeping me out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
My 2y/o son is sleeping upstairs and the baby monitor is on in his room . I turn the reciever on in my room and within a few minutes heard crying I went upstairs and found him asleep. So I come back down and still hear crying on the monitor.

It turns out it was on the wrong channel, I changed the channel and could hear my son breathing and fan in his room. On the other channel was still the baby crying, it was a very disturbing cry like the child was in distress. At one point I heard a muffled adult voice. I switched the channels back and forth a few times and it eventually was back to just static.

Im too afraid to change it back but the curiousity is driving me mad. I know recievers can pick up another monitors but this is an anciet set, id be shocked to have someone nearby with a similar unit. Im also in a rural settings with more than average space between my three neighbors.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Then you should know who is the source of the issue right?

Call the police if you think there is an issue... Seems like common sense to me?
edit on 16-10-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Bump

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Get your video camera out record it and his room all quiet and then pawn it off as a paranormal u tube vid

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

If its really nasty sounding, its your duty to intervene.
Could save a life.

Or it may at least help the child in some way.

-GM

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The thing is Im currently staying in the basement of my parents house. Each house is a good distance away and for the life of me I cannot imagine this 15+ year old reciever picking up something that far away.

Its gone now but not my goosebumps.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just a thought here. You may have been listening to skip. We are getting close to a solar maximum right now and sometimes when the sunspot count is higher than normal radio signals start doing strange things. CB radios will sometimes be able to transmit for hundreds or thousands of miles. And the same thing for commercial radios as well. Denver police radios walking all over Chicago police transmissions and such.

That crying baby may have been hundreds of miles away.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

The transmitter in a baby monitor system usually uses a special type of antenna that is tuned to the allowed frequency in your area but that is physically very short to prevent transmitting long distances. However, it is theoretically possible for this transmitters energy to be transferred to a near by electrical conductor that by coincidence is resonant with the transmitters operating frequency. In this case, the distance could be extended from 100's of feet to 1000's of feet.

Setup the baby monitor receiver to use batteries and walk around your area, you may not learn the exact location of the crying child but you can learn if this signal is local or distant.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Most cheap radio transmitters and receivers use a simple tuned antenna. This construction usually causes a dead spot (static is loudest, signal is least) if the axis of the receiving antenna is pointing at the signal source.

A horizontal line that is 90 degrees to the line of weakest signal is likely to be the strongest signal and "points" towards the source of the signal.

If the signal source is local, you shouldn't have to move very far to make a second directional measurement. If the lines are nearly parallel, the signal source could be a long way away. However, If they meet at a particular point, that is likely to be your signal source.

Of course, this won't help if they have turned the transmitter off.
edit on 16/10/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ntech
Just a thought here. You may have been listening to skip. We are getting close to a solar maximum right now and sometimes when the sunspot count is higher than normal radio signals start doing strange things. CB radios will sometimes be able to transmit for hundreds or thousands of miles. And the same thing for commercial radios as well. Denver police radios walking all over Chicago police transmissions and such.

No offense, but a baby monitor and a CB are two completely different technologies......no, she was not picking up a transmission from 1000 miles away.

Have you been watching the movie signs?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
My friend and her husband had two of their friends over one night when her kiddy was a few months old.
They were all sat in the front room, when a man started talking to her son and they could hear it on the baby monitor. Her son woke up and screamed, and the party ended pretty quickly after that. Their friends never came back to visit at that house again, and shortly after that they moved..

For that reason I never had my baby monitor on unless someone was in the house with me, and if I was on my own, we were in the same room.. for fear of fright induced heart attack..

Sounds funny now, but at the time, I bet they were terrified.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
My friend and her husband had two of their friends over one night when her kiddy was a few months old.
They were all sat in the front room, when a man started talking to her son and they could hear it on the baby monitor. Her son woke up and screamed, and the party ended pretty quickly after that. Their friends never came back to visit at that house again, and shortly after that they moved..

For that reason I never had my baby monitor on unless someone was in the house with me, and if I was on my own, we were in the same room.. for fear of fright induced heart attack..

Sounds funny now, but at the time, I bet they were terrified.

Now that is creepy.....has anything happened in your home besides this?

Sorry OP, dont want to derail your thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by ntech

No offense, but a baby monitor and a CB are two completely different technologies......no, she was not picking up a transmission from 1000 miles away.

Have you been watching the movie signs?

Let me hear your theory then?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I had a monitor for my babies that did the same thing. Oh, it was creepy. Changing the channel didn't help. At first, I thought it was mine but quickly discovered it was not. So then I thought it must have been interference from another monitor from another house. The people in the house across the street from me had a baby about the same age, so I simply assumed it was just interference from them. But this baby never stopped crying. Never. Hours would go by and no one ever went in to comfort or retrieve this crying baby. I twas very disturbing and I started getting really upset about this baby. But it was strange because it was a constant cry that never dwindled and never stopped. Babies would eventually tire out and fall asleep, wouldn't they?

After about 2 days, I decided to go across the street and knock on the door. No one was home. I could hear no baby crying from their porch. I walked around to the back. No crying.

After about a week of this, I took the monitor with me for a walk up and down the street. After I would get within one house away from mine, I lost signal from being too far away from the base, the crying faded and I would only get static.

For the next two days, I walked up and down the streets around my home listening for a crying baby. My neighborhood is very quiet during the day, so I just walked and listened as I went by each house, determined to find this crying baby. I could not find it. There is a police officer that lives on the next street over from me, so I enlisted his help. I had him listen for a while and he went and investigated the neighborhood and found nothing. There was no crying baby anywhere.

After about 3 weeks, I got a new monitor and it stopped. I have no idea what it was or what caused it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If it's not a hoax.....It's a baby monitor! They pick up babies crying. What's so weird about that? Ours would do the same thing at least twice a week. I’ve been involved with paranormal investigations for over 7 years now. I never chalked these events up to something paranormal. Just other baby monitors.
Just say'n....
edit on 16-10-2011 by mikemck1976 because: Edit

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

It's the frequency that's important. But when the ionosphere is highly excited even vhf and uhf can be affected. Back in the 1970's when I was a kid I was switching TV channels I saw something interesting. Stations from hundreds of miles away coming in clear as a bell. Radio and TV was interesting back then during that Solar Max.

And we're entering a new solar max now so such episodes could become common for the next one to two years.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I agree that the most logical explanation is interference. Since baby monitors are 99% of the time placed in a room with a baby, to hear a crying baby on the device seems pretty normal. Now this doesn't mean it isn't paranormal. The other two stories that were told in this thread were relatively creepy, but in your case I don't think I would worry.

The fact that you said the device was older may or may not have to do with its efficacy at picking up distant signals. In many cases, at least in my experience, electronics that were made in the 70's and 80's seems to be of a much higher quality than the stuff that's made today. Which is weird considering how technology has improved, but I suppose things are just made more cheaply today.

I agree with the poster who said that electromagnetic radiation can travel great distances, depending on the conditions that are prevalent at the time. I think you mentioned being in the basement, which is usually where the wiring originates, and that may have an effect on the signals that are picked up.

I don't know how close you are with your neighbors, but if you only have a few, I would find out if any of them have a baby. If so, that could help to explain what's happening. If you ever get this signal again, try taking it upstairs to see if it still happens. If there is no other paranormal activity in the house, then it is likely that this is just interference.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
what is the history of your house? Do you know if maybe there was someone who had a history of child abuse that may have lived there before. where did you come up with the monitor at? you should research and see maybe you will come up with somethin. maybe ur hearin the cries of a ghost baby or something

ok theres my paranormal reply

now

I may just be interference from something else you shuld check on the sunspot count.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Now that sounds creepy!

I wonder if it's possible to hack these things and send a non stop signal of a recorded baby's cry to them as a prank to scare parents?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
I know recievers can pick up another monitors but this is an anciet set, id be shocked to have someone nearby with a similar unit. Im also in a rural settings with more than average space between my three neighbors.

It doesnt matter of your's is really old or not, if they both send on the same frequency you can pick it up.
Do your neighbors have any babies? Think about a 25 meter radius MAX! Further and you won't pick up anything so it must be someone close to you with a child.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Required01 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join