It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall St Has Expanded To More Then 1500 Cities World Wide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

After triumphing in a standoff with the city over the continued protest of Wall Street at Liberty Square in Manhattan's financial district, the Occupy Wall Street movement has spread world wide today with demonstrations in over 1,500 cities globally and over 100 US cities from coast to coast. In New York, thousands marched in various protests by trade unions, students, environmentalists, and community groups. As occupiers flocked to Washington Square Park, two dozen participants were arrested at a nearby Citibank while attempting to withdraw their accounts from the global banking giant.

Protests filled streets of financial districts from Berlin, to Athens, Auckland to Mumbai, Tokyo to Seoul. In the UK over 3,000 people attempted to occupy the London Stock Exchange. "The financial system benefits a handful of banks at the expense of everyday people," said Spyro Van Leemnen, a 27-year old public relations agent in London and a core member of the demonstrators. "The same people who are responsible for the recession are getting away with massive bonuses. This is fundamentally unfair and undemocratic."

600 people have begun an occupation of Confederation Park in Ottawa, Canada today to join the global day of action. "I am here today to stand with Indigenous Peoples around the world who are resisting this corrupt global banking system that puts profits before human rights," said Ben Powless, Mohawk citizen and indigenous youth leader. "Native Peoples are the 99%, and we've been resisting the 1% since 1492. We're marching today for self- determination and dignity against a system that has robbed our lands, poisoned our waters, and oppressed our people for generations. Today we join with those in New York and around the world to say, No More!"

In Australia, about 800 people gathered in Sydney's central business district, carrying cardboard banners and chanting "Human need, not corporate greed." Protesters will camp indefinitely "to organize, discuss and build a movement for a different world, not run by the super-rich 1%," according to a statement on the Occupy Sydney website.

As many as 500 marchers in Rome wielding clubs attacked police, two banks and a supermarket, Sky TG24 reported. Authorities used tear gas and water cannon. Londoners were barred from Paternoster Square, home of the London Stock Exchange, and Tokyo protesters demanded an end to nuclear power. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

In Berlin, 6000 took to the streets and 1500 gathered in Cologne, ZDF television said. In Frankfurt, 5000 marched by the European Central Bank headquarters with toy pistols firing soap bubbles and planned to camp out, ZDF reported. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

So the OWS protests have now spread to more then 1500 cities world wide, and more then 100 cities within the US. It is great to see so many people protesting on such a grand scale. Many might be protesting the top 1% for different reasons, but the ultimate objective of the 99% is the same. Stop the corruption, stop taking advantage of us, and spread the wealth.

I'm just glad to see so many from different backgrounds, different countries, different ethnicity's/religions coming together and standing up with a common purpose. At the very least, the eyes of many are opening up.for the first time.

occupywallst.org...
www.smh.com.au...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Occupy Vancouver

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It appears it was all to much in Australia,

Occupy Sydney: Protesters go MIA after vowing to occupy the city's banking district Read more: www.news.com.au...

"MANY of the protesters in Sydney's Martin Place, inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement against corporate greed, have left, after vowing earlier to occupy the city's banking district indefinitely.....
The protesters vowed to stay outside the Reserve Bank, despite overnight arrests and losing camping equipment, however many of the protesters have since abandoned their posts this afternoon"
edit on 16-10-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Sorry to use your thread for this.. but it's somewhat related? May be old news to you guys.. but I think it should be a clear sign to anyone who frequents 'GLP' ... I had been browsing the site off and on for about a month. So about a week or so ago I see a thread pop up bashing the Occupy Wall Street protests.. so I posted a reply pretty much asking the person if his family and job were secure and if so, could he say the same about all of his friends and family. I was banned. .... For that! Any sign of support for OWS = insta ban? Anyway, just thought i'd share that.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Bump

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

German numbers of participants are extremly downplayed by our media:
(8000+ Frankfurt, 10000+ Berlin, 5000+ Hamburg) overall about 40000+ People. Probably a lot more.
MSM coverage was very stinted.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

This has been quite an interesting day. Here's a few videos from today that hit me the most

Madrid -

Berlin-

Frankfurt-

New York -

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

The people of Australia are too distracted by the carbon tax, not to mention the easy to access 24/7 televised programing in every corner of the country.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
every city 'occupied' takes us closer..

to new worldwide martial order

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I remember reading about all the protest in the 60's and what I was wondering is any members that were around during this time does this occupy wall street protest feel like or resemble what went on in the 60's just curious. i personal would like to see some campaign and lobbing reforms come out of this the corps run the government and its supposed to be for the people by the people and i think the corporations are destroying this in american i would like to see some change.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

It really is amazing to see the number of people turning out, world wide. With the momentum getting stronger, and spreading, I don't know if it could be stopped by authorities without it turning violent.

Hope that doesn't happen, but I think we'll see a few cities take a more aggressive stance at some point. How that turns out? Have to wait and see.
edit on 16-10-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
wow Madrid did a very good job! Im proud of every city that joined the movement.

Croatia reporting in...
Zagreb, about 7000+ people

Few hundreds in Split and few more thousands over other cities.
edit on 16/10/11 by dario86 because: bad youtube link

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Up to 1,000 people in Omaha and nearly 500 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The Occupy Worthless Skin movement is a joke, with zero accomplishment.
As soon as Obama gets his bills passed, and the free salmon millionaire dinners quit flowing in, it will all be over.

Good job Australia for waking out of your collective stupors and giving up on this fail movement.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

The ball is rolling ..this cannot be stopped.. war lovers like you are extincted species

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
First global movement in history. Thank you Internet. It deserves the nobel prize for banish frontiers, and nacionalities, and unite people as humanity.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Occupy Seattle...has been going strong.....3,000 protesters yesterday.....here is an article in (The Seattle Times)...

This article is excellent and explains...why many in Seattle and many globally are protesting...please read.....

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thank goodness they are keeping to the larger cities so we don't have to put up with this crap out in the heartland. What little driving I do is only occasionally hindered by a small cattle drives to relocate them to a new range. Can't imagine how inconvenient a herd of commies wannabes would be. Where is a McCarthy when we need him?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The occupation is pointless in my opinion. Regardless of which members of society are occupying. It will only degenerate into civil disobedience and lawlessness because they're all at the wrong location. The best way to occupy is to occupy the front yard of your local gov't representatives home who actually can change the system. We elect our civil servants to represent us so we all don't individually have to. Isn't annoying them while they're at work, trying to work counter-productive?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
and if you add all the protesters together you get 10,000 people.

you'll get a better turn out if the ny red bulls win the mls cup.

edit on 16-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join