It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds weirdest statues

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Heres some I found on Google..

Horses with fountains under

Cancun, Mexico
Underwater

U nderwater 2

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

Several of those in that article are a tad strange, but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for posting that [color=B3A982]link. I liked most of those. Here are a few of them.

That particular article, doesn't actually give any details about these.

These next 2......uum, yeah, I dunno...only thought I get from these 2 is "WTF!?!"

← This one was my favorite, from that previous list/site, but I didn't know where it was. I was searching for info about that one, and came across a couple other sites. One of the sites is Pocketburgers.

Klaus Weber’s unusual (to say the least) fountain installation titled “The Big Giving” is at least eco-friendly: the water is continually recycled and the cocoon-like encrustations that envelope the statuesque sculptures are made from waste stone and industrial waste. This most unusual fountain was set up at the Southbank Centre in London, UK, and the images depicted here date from the autumn of 2007.

Rastrelli’s iconic scene of Samson wrestling open the jaws of a lion has been a popular subject of both statuary and fountains for many centuries. One of most famous examples is in St. Petersburg, Russia, as part of The Great Cascade.

Here are a couple different views of the Kindlifresserbrunnen.

The Kindlifresserbrunnen (Child Eater Fountain, in German) or Ogre Fountain dates from 1544 and is one of many Gothic fountains dating from Bern’s golden age. The ogre that sits atop a tall tower is depicted biting hungrily into the head of a squirming baby while other fearful infants peek out from the bag slung over his shoulder. If anyone wonders why the Swiss are generally quiet, respectful, serious folks, it may be because their parents took them to see (and be traumatized by) the Ogre Fountain when they were young.

These last few are just cool.

OK. This is just way too much.

[color=FFA126]Warning: Some of the statues found within the following link, may be disturbing to some. Click at your own risk. [color=FFC859]Trendhunters - 50 Outstanding Statues

Here. I'll give a couple examples:

Now just remember that [color=FFA126]these↑ ARE NOT the disturbing ones.

There's all sort of strange things on there, but also some that are very interesting.

edit on 10/14/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Just remembered this one down the road from me.

It depicts a character from a '60s newspaper comic strip.

edit on 14-10-2011 by Ramcheck because: resized image

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I guess from all the comments, the artists achieved the reaction of what they expect from their art. No matter how controversial art is, the main idea is to strike interest or emotion in the person who is viewing it. This world would would be quite boring if we didn't have a diversity in art and culture.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
always loved the man fighting off the hoard of babies

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Those are some wacky statues! The faceless baby statues reminded me of the first SIlent Hill for the PS1. You found yourself walking around an elementary school and you were being attacked by little, dead, shadow babies. Soooo creepy! Sweet pix and cool thread. And wtf is up with those last statues? I want to know the history of those!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
The last pics from the Buddhist temples are f-reaky!

Good thread though..A lot of those statues are pretty cool.

I think Buddhist Monks see women as the root of all mas woes.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The horse, being at the Denver Airport, I'd say has much meaning.

First, being 32 feet tall represents the 32nd Degree Mason. The whole wild stallion, glowing eyes and a closer look at the horses behind will leave you, well, speechless, but some of us know the symbolism.

Why people don't ask questions about some of the artwork located there is beyond me, and why there isn't any petitions to remove a few of them is also beyond me.

I guess people are liking the Dream they're currently seeing while they sleep.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow! I have never seen so many strange statues in all my life!! Some are highly creative and many are quite disturbing. Thanks for sharing these!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Lovely thread, enjoyable and interesting whilst different too. I think if I were lucky enough to be able to spend any time around some of them I would be able to meditate and appreciate them. I understand the Buddhist statues a lot better than at first because somebody reminded me of Wiki & put a short excerpt, I think any meditation on those would be strange to say the least.

The others that have been added to the thread with links are worth a look also. I don't have time now though so I have bookmarked one that is deemed to be disturbing as there are a lot on there to be mused over.

Thank you ronishia for something's enjoyable and something's darn right offensive to the eyes, I agree with another poster too that some of the statues have a significance on a deeper level but that's a different story altogether and probably worthy of a thread of its own

S&F for you, x. Oh & * to the links also.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FriendlyGopher

for those of you who dont open links..

thanks!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The brickstone soldier from Tomelilla, Sweden. It was originally featured in a goof movie about Picasso in 1978.

365foto2010.files.wordpress.com...

The marching musicians. From downtown Malmö, Sweden. It has always stricken me as a bit odd.

farm1.static.flickr.com...

More from Malmö. I didn't even know about this one and only found it when I was googling for the previous one.

www.flickr.com...

The face of the capitalist. Lomma, Sweden. LOL!

ss11i01.stream.ip-only.net...

Giant spider, Tokyo.

tokyobling.wordpress.com...

There's a museum for modern art in Humlebaek, Denmark. They have lots of sculptures both outdoors and indoors. I will never forget this one, mostly because one of my then class-mates nicknamed it ET with a dick. LOL!

static.gowalla.com...

Brickstone throne, Landskrona, Sweden.

mobil.hd.se...

I'm from southern Sweden where most of these statues are located, which is why I have chosen them because i knew of most of them. The ET-looking statue is from a museum named Lousiana, located not too far from Elsinore, Denmark and therefore not very afar from where I live.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
excellent contributions guys
some very weird ones there and yes some of the artists sanity certainly needs questioned LOL but i suppose that is the purpose to make us think.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FriendlyGopher

Second image is that what it looks like a butt plug, ouch

top topics

<< 1   >>

join