It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We fabricated drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas, former detective testifies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+154 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
nydailynews.com< br />

A former NYPD narcotics detective snared in a corruption scandal testified it was common practice to fabricate drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas. The bombshell testimony from Stephen Anderson is the first public account of the twisted culture behind the false arrests in the Brooklyn South and Queens narc squads, which led to the arrests of eight cops and a massive shakeup. Anderson, testifying under a cooperation agreement with prosecutors, was busted for planting coc aine, a practice known as "flaking," on four men in a Queens bar in 2008 to help out fellow cop

edit on 13-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: Sorry for the edits. Had problems with the link.

+84 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is wrong on so many levels, but my main concern is how many people got sent to prison because of these crooked cops. I always try and give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt because of all they go through, but stories like this are way too common lately.

Multiple officers laying hard drugs on people just so they can make their quotas. This is outrageous. Drug possession may seem kind of minor, but it can really mess up your life. If you have prior convictions you can get sent away for a long time even for small amounts of drugs.

I hope the NYPD digs deep and finds out which citizens were wrongfully convicted because of these idiots. The cop says "it was common practice" to plant drugs on people. So we all know it means that for each case that is exposed, there are probably many more that are not addressed.

NYPD sure have been in the negative spotlight lately, and news like this does not help their image.

nydailynews.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

+44 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The first thing that comes to mind is why in the heck is there a "quota" for putting people in jail. I would think they would aim for a quota more along the lines of a crime free city.

+53 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Does anyone else think there is something fundamentally wrong with there being "quotas" on things like this?

Police, ideal wise, should be meant to protect the public and make society more civil through public mediation. Not meet their monthly arrest targets....

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

This kind of news really grinds my gears.

This is pure selfishness on behalf of these cops. They had no concern for these people by falsely arresting them to meet their quota.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I think we all know that this world revolves around the bad and not the good in society. Just turn on the news and try and count the breaking news stories that are of a positive nature. You may get lucky and see one a week.

I feel sorry for the people who are still sitting in jail because of this.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree, it is preposterous.

The sad thing is that I have been well aware for quite a long time about certain quotas some police need to meet, or at least come close to meeting.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

My little brother just had something similar happen to him by a crooked piece of # calling himself an "officer of the law". I wonder what "law" it is that he follows... There are too many of these pigs on the streets, waging war against the American citizenry. I blame all of you cowards who don't stand up and fight in the courtroom when you are charged unlawfully, instead taking plea bargains because you are so easily intimidated. The fear and complacency of the average American is going to force non-violent men like myself to seek another recourse to fight back against this tyranny.

Edit to add: The first step to fight back against this corrupt "war on drugs" and everything that it entails is to vote for Ron Paul and to inform as many people as possible to do the same. If that fails, then well... I won't post what I'm going to do...
edit on 13-10-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

So we all know it means that for each case that is exposed, there are probably many more that are not addressed.

Like cockroaches, for every one seen there are some thousand more undetected.

Maddness like this and asset forfeiture are just more reasons this has to stop. Freedom cannot exist in such an environment.

edit on 13-10-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
if you've played super mario than you know jumping on a turtle shell to give you 99 lives is cheating. if life was a game this would be the equivalent. don't be that turtle.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This should be common knowledge.

Prisons are a business, they provide extremly cheap labour that allows them to compete with mexican and asian labour prices.

newsone.com...

Building a few prisoners can get you a massive chunk of money. It's a very lucrative market to get into since the government helps criminalise so many activities.

It's a market as safe as energy or making cars. People will always need transport and there will always be prisoners.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I was going to say the exact same thing. It really makes no sense, if they do not meet a "quota" they get in trouble (or what really happens if they don't?) thus creating more crime by pressuring the cops to plant drugs on innocent people. When innocent people get sent to jail, they then have to learn to survive in that environment, turning them into real criminals, and instead of reducing crime they have tripled it with their supposed "quotas".

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Does this open a can of worms that will allow all felons that have been arrested on drugs charges to sue the state?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

Similar stories such as this have happened in the past. The justice system is a joke. You could be absolved of murder, cleared by DNA, and still wait a long while before they let you out. I'm not holding my breathe for any real justice to get served. I can even see these cops getting away with a slap on the wrist for snitching on other cops.

This whole story makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

Pretty ridiculous statement. You really think someone caught with a few hundred dollars worth of drugs on him will be able to use that argument effectively?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
post by Corruption Exposed

A surveillance tape inside the bar showed they had been framed.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Seems the NYPD needs a lesson in surveillance tape confiscation from the FBI i.e. the 9-11 Pentagon attack (said with sarcasm) .

These are just lazy detectives.If they tried a little I'm sure they could bust some actual criminals to meet their quotas.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Does anyone else think there is something fundamentally wrong with there being "quotas" on things like this?

Police, ideal wise, should be meant to protect the public and make society more civil through public mediation. Not meet their monthly arrest targets....

The reason there's an arrest quota in the first place, is because many police departments need a way to justify their existence. If the city is crime-free, what do we need cops for? Basically the more crime there is, the more cops are needed, the more funding they receive. There are quotas for traffic tickets as well.

As we know, cops have a certain protective 'brotherhood' among them. They don't rat each other out, they cover up each other's mistakes or intentional breach of law, and they basically disown any cop who comes out with the truth. Certain police departments that have these quotas in place will do unethical things in order to keep their jobs safe from elimination.

I'll give you an example. If you have a cop in the family, you might be the recipient of a certain sticker you place on your drivers license. When you break the law (let's say you were speeding or talking on your phone) and you are pulled over, you hand the cop your license, and when he sees the sticker on your license he will not give you a ticket. I know someone with this sticker. He was pulled over by a cop and handed him his license. When the cop saw the sticker, he almost flipped. It was obvious the cop REALLY wanted to nail him for speeding, and the frustration was very apparent. He started yelling and questioning him about who he knew in what police department, and wanted to know the other cop's name. In the end the cop didn't give him a ticket. He let him go, but believe you me.... had that sticker not been on his license, he was gonna get fined pretty good. This cop from a completely different police department 80 miles away wasn't willing to break this secret cop code of conduct!!!
edit on 13-10-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dezertdog
post by Corruption Exposed

A surveillance tape inside the bar showed they had been framed.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Seems the NYPD needs a lesson in surveillance tape confiscation from the FBI i.e. the 9-11 Pentagon attack (said with sarcasm) .

These are just lazy detectives.If they tried a little I'm sure they could bust some actual criminals to meet their quotas.

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of kids out there smokin a little weed that they could bust and throw in prison with rapists and murderers. They really need to work harder to ruin the lives of people that are actually committing "crimes". (said with sarcasm)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Anybody who thinks this just happens in NYC is living in a dream world. This happens in every precinct in every city in the country. Yes, I'm sure there are a few small towns with one or two cops that are probably not corrupt. I live in a town with probably less than 50 cops and I know for a fact that they do this kind of thing. Gotta feed the private jail system; it's hungry and it does not care about anything but generating profits on the backs of every one of us.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join