It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brit Kids 'Face Soaring Poverty Over Reforms'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Putting the 'Great' back into Great Britain -

Almost a quarter of Britain's children will be left in poverty by the end of this decade because of the Government's tax and benefit changes, a think-tank is warning.

Brit Kids 'Face Soaring Poverty Over Reforms'

I loved my childhood in Britain and it disgusts me to see what kids there face now.
When will the British people realise that they can actually say 'enough is enough' and stop the farce that is destroying what was, until recently, the greatest empire the world had ever known?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
You only have to look through a history book to see it happens quite frequently.. it's like a constant tug of war between corruption and greed and fairness..

We sadly live in a society that is getting greedier and greedier, but history shows the pendulum does swing the other way and it will again, it just takes time to get to the moment where people get off the bums and react.

Over the last 200 years the bonfire societies (the heart of our communities) have been in decline, be apathy or lack of funds.. It has gone from every village, town and city being represented on the council to only the 35 that remain today.

But... over the last few years more communities are getting off their bums and rejoining the council.. even in the face of silly H&S regs and all manner of hurdles the trend has now swung the other way, the apathy seems to be dissipating, people are getting sick of our society and want to remake it anew.

So much so that I have a great deal of hope that we have now turned the corner

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
It's easy to blame the government in cases like this.

Because clearly it's the governments fault for the poor to continually pop out the kids despite not being able to support and feed the kids they already have...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
It's easy to blame the government in cases like this.

Because clearly it's the governments fault for the poor to continually pop out the kids despite not being able to support and feed the kids they already have...

are you freaking serious?

the government is to blame for the economic situation the UK is in yet it's their fault because they had one to many children??

ever heard of an unwanted pregnancy?

deny ignorance you know...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
and i'ts not only in the UK this is happening.

here in the Netherlands things are going downhill as well.

my mum and dad didn't have it bad at all.

since the euro and the 'double dip recession', it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet.

this is coming from a family with an ABOVE average income.... (2 kids)

things are getting bad, very very fast.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Too many people coming here, breeding and taking school places, jobs and houses from the English. The burden on the system is extremely great. We need to start shipping people back to where they come from.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

What? 2.5 million children were from unwanted pregnancies?

Sure mate.

At the end of the day though, it is the Governments fault for being (until now) too generous with the welfare.

The attitude of leaning on the government for the majority of the cost of bringing a child up is completely wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Clearly, China has a much better system, perhaps you may enjoy living there, where 1 child per family is the norm. Not everyone who is poor is just in the habit of popping out kids, that does i.m.o actually have to do with the way benefits are actually calculated, a set amount per child and no cap on it.

We do have some crap in our country that take the p***, but not everyone is the same , and actually government do take the blame partially on the contrary to what you believe.

Me for example, i have 4 children, 3 of whom live at home, i worked for 20 years and paid into the system at quite a high level, then i had a medical complication, which was more than likely caused by the job i did, 7 operations down the line and i am unable to work.

This means i have to live off of certain benefits, benefits which i have paid into the system for btw, and i would love to go back to work, but am unable to, so please do not tar everyone with the same brush with your insinuations.

As for us being the "greatest empire ever until recently" , that depends upon your point of view really, i am sure Rome had the same thoughts, although not many would have agreed with them. We may have raised standards in other countries that we invaded and plundered, but that is about all you can say really, and we did steal pretty much every countries wealth that we took over, hey but that is ok.

You probably think it is a good thing that we were involved in Iraq, Afghan and Libya also, as they after all are savages arent they? you sum up everything that is bad about England.

Please goto China, you will enjoy it far more, they have a class system also, you will fit in well.

edit on 11-10-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

yeah sure.

damn those people humping like rabbits and popping out children like it's nothing.

it's not the bankers or the government to blame... NO NO NO!!

it's the people who get children.

The "squeezed middle" will also be hit by the biggest drop in average incomes since the 1970s, according to a bleak report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS.)

Typical families will see their annual income drop by around £2,000 by 2013, it said.

do you even know what the above means to an average household?

The IFS blames the tough economic situation and - more controversially - the Government's welfare policies.

edit on 11-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

As for us being the "greatest empire ever until recently" , that depends upon your point of view really, i am sure Rome had the same thoughts, although not many would have agreed with them. We may have raised standards in other countries that we invaded and plundered, but that is about all you can say really, and we did steal pretty much every countries wealth that we took over, hey but that is ok.

edit on 11-10-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

We saw what we wanted and we took it. A few natives died, that's just too bad. If they had done as they were told, nobody would have been killed. It's called survival of the fittest, the strongest powers prevail. We lost the Empire because we were no longer strong, but the thing is, the process can be reversed. In order to reverse it, you need a well educated population, a majority of the population in jobs - and those unable to work for legitimate reasons being looked after properly, we need factories and people able to work in them, businesses and people smart enough to found them, and we need the government to make this happen. The government is in charge of all of these things and has failed miserably to provide.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

"lean on the Gov" when they are the ones that hijacked the welfare system in the first place!

What Britain knows as a welfare system was already being put in place (Councils of Social Service) prior to the Gov getting it's hands on it.. Besides which they made the promise they would create a "New Jerusalem" for us mere mortals during the hijacking process.

So there in lies their blame.. don't steal ideas from the people and then not deliver on your promises, and no amount of wheedling is going to get them off that hook.

Now their expectation is that we pay into their Social Welfare system AND pay into a voluntary system much like the one they hijacked in the first place.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Once people get re-accustomed to taking care of themselves as it should be, a lot of the welfare non-sense will start to take care of its' self. personal responsibility needs to be put back on the individual. I have to agree with Chad.
Divorce doesn't help anyone either and will make you poor also. Like I said making people responsible for their actions will go a long way.
Of course there are people who truly need assistance and those were the ones most welfare systems were designed to aid. it wasn't designed to provide a lifelong incomefor those who can help themselves but choose not too.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkers

Have you ever heard of the Dark Ages?
There's an excellent scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian which lends a hand here -

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by brommas

Clearly, there are exceptions to the rules, like yourself.

And as for China, why do you think that rule was introduced?

edit on 11/10/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I'm not sure that I follow, how can the government hijack the welfare system when it was always under their control?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkers
Too many people coming here, breeding and taking school places, jobs and houses from the English. The burden on the system is extremely great. We need to start shipping people back to where they come from.

if you really feel this way...

what makes you move privy to a prosperous life then someone else?

what makes you feel you're entitled to living in the UK?

just because you were born there?

please answer me, i'm seriously interested.

i think a mindset like yours is part of the problem.

let me stress and be clear that this is not an attack, genuinely interested.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I'm sorry but if people can't afford to feed themselves, let alone a child, it is their responsibility to not bring a child into the world, the government doesn't force them to, government welfare may compel them to do it though, especially if you are like the Australian government and gave out a $3000 baby bonus for each new born.

This has changed now so that you can't get it in a lump sum and I think even parts of it can only be used for buying things for babies.

Do you know why? Because dead beats were having kids just for that $3000 cash!

I worked with a guy who was one of these dead beats, him and his Mrs already had a kid that was most likely retarded due to both of them being speed freaks, she even was shooting up while pregnant.

The second child was no different, except this time they got the $3000, which went towards an 8 ball and a POS car that he wrote off within a month of buying it.

I suppose this is the governments fault too?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

People forget what hell previous generations went through in order for us to have the standard of living we have enjoyed for the past 50 or so years, and this is one of the things that has led to the disintegration of society. With most people involved in WW2 dead or close to it, lessons are forgot.

The problem now is the fact the system has been corrupted by a tiny majority of people who are robbing the poor and vulnerable, they have destabilised society due to their warmongering, and enslaving us all. Its not just the people of the countries they invaded and plundered who lose out, its also the people of this nation.

But as long as they keep enough people just above the poverty line so they are comfortable, they wont have anything to fear from a backlash. They will simply ignore the minority groups who do protest. They know how apathetic the people of the UK are, and wont risk their comfort to stand up for the rights of those who are suffering. Ironically though, by not fighting for the vulnerable, they risk losing the safety net that otherwise would have caught them should they fall victim to the current economic mess.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

your reply reminded me of this quote.

they first came for the Communists - and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews - and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists - and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics - and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me - and by that time no one was left to speak up.

exactly what is going on right now.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

It was not under their control, that is what I am saying the "Councils of Social Service" where voluntary organisations spread across the country that where ran by volunteers and funded by voluntary contributions.

The Council of Social Services by me provided funds to help those who where unemployed and on low incomes.. They provided clothing, they provided hospital care, they provided dentistry, they provided respite care, they provided training for new skills, they provided legal services, and above all they provided a safety net.... and for the really stressed they provided holiday homes to escape the misery of life in the Great Depression.

These services where hijacked by the Gov after WW2 with the aim of providing a "new Jerusalem" to the people of Britain, and there in is my issue.. don't promise to provide heaven on earth when you can't.

edit on 11/10/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join