It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore Doing Disservice to Science - Says Leading Climate Scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I thought this deserved a thread of its own given the number of time I see people treat climate change/AGW as if it's all about what Gore says. It's not.

When Al Gore said last week that scientists now have "clear proof that climate change is directly responsible for the extreme and devastating floods, storms and droughts that displaced millions of people this year," my heart sank. Having suggested the idea of "event attribution" back in 2003, and co-authored a study published earlier this year on the origins of the UK floods in autumn 2000, I suspect I may be one of the scientists being talked about.

~ ~ ~

...when Gore says: "the environment in which all storms are formed has changed," he isn't actually lying, but he is begging to be misunderstood.

www.guardian.co.uk...

(and please do read the full article by Myles Allen)

It's time to stop listening to Gore. And learn the science instead. And goes whether you believe humans affecting the climate or not.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Sure, but do a walk-around of this website for example and show me how many comments there are that go like this:

"man made climate change is real because Al Gore says..."

versus

"man made climate change is FAKE because Al Gore says..."

I'll bet you the latter outnumbers the former 100:1

Most of the people around here who advocate for global warming spend zero time talking about Al Gore because...well...who cares?...he's just a politician who made a movie. At the end of the day it's indeed the science that speaks for itself, and anyone who tries to form an opinion about global warming one way or the other based on what Al Gore says is just plain lazy and small-minded.

So no surprise to me then that it's constantly the naysayers and the deniers who OBSESS over Gore in the first place (while of course remarking to each other how obsessed everybody else apparently is). It's just one of the 7,000 different flavors of hypocrisy you'll usually encounter from a climate skeptic, but whatevsies...

Meanwhile Gore is the focal point of all the right-wing propaganda against AGW because 1. he's a liberal and 2. they don't have much to go on against the actual science, so might as well stick to what they do best: political hyperbole and scaremongerering over taxes.

It's just amazing how many ideologues you meet who regurgitate this pointless rhetoric day in and day out like total sock puppets, and then go on to immediately congratulate themselves on how much they think they're immune to political propaganda.

But like I said - 7,000 different flavors...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

you said It's time to stop listening to Gore. And learn the science instead. And goes whether you believe humans affecting the climate or not.

I was a late comer to the whole global warming issue and never noticed changes in my local climate as it varies ...some summers hot and some summers not ...winter is always too cold but that is to be expected ..above the 49th parallel ... But I did take the time to seek out a source for info of what was being said and who was saying it .....WUWT wattsupwiththat.com... was a blessing ...they have a very lively comment section and well informed people talking over there ......I wish I could contribute but I don't have the education to do so, so I listen, read , and think about what is being discussed ...on occasion that I do have a question ,someone is usually to answer me and if they are answering with error someone is very quick to challenge them .....Thanks for the post and yes we should at least learn some of the science ....peace

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

don't believe all you read on WUWT. The site is as biased as the IPCC. If not more so. It's to climate science what the Weekly World News is to current Japanese financial news.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I am not in the habit of believing all I read there ,here,or any other source ...There some good article and some bs as well ...not being a academic doesn't stop me from trying to understand the issues ...and they do let the trolls speak and don't seem to stop most from commenting ......plus its a good base for climate investigation .....peace

new topics

top topics

join