It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Guy Takes A Cops Gun And The Cop Then Runs Him Over...Today In California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Wow, just wow lol I don't know where to begin with this...

Ok so here's some Excerpts from today's local news.

After desperately battling a 27-year-old transient who wrestled away his gun Friday morning, a bloody and battered San Jose Police Officer William McMullen got in his patrol car, drove after the suspect fleeing down the busy street -- and ran into him, knocking the gun out of his hand. Hours after the dramatic arrest, the suspect -- identified as Jason Eric Evans -- was in a local hospital recovering from numerous broken bones. He has been booked on charges of attempted murder and assault with deadly weapon, police said.

Police could not confirm on Friday if the suspect, who has a short, but concentrated criminal record of trespassing at San Jose State, was a former SJS football player.

When confronted by the officer, Evans threatened him, police said. McMullen pulled out his baton and Evans attacked, punching the officer in the face. The officer radioed for help. McMullen pulled out his gun and Evans tried to grab it, according to police.

During an intense hand-to-hand struggle for the weapon, the officer's handgun went off. No one was hit. Breaking free, the suspect fled with the officer's gun. Two officers -- identified as officer Eric Bachmann, 35, and Tim Wilson, 47, arrived about the same time and chased Evans on foot. The officers fired multiple times at the suspect as he ran down Leigh, apparently pointing the weapon at the officers, police said But none of the shots struck the suspect. Covered in blood, McMullen got back into his car and drove it down Leigh. The patrol car struck Evans, knocking him down and the weapon from his grasp.

www.mercurynews.com...

Well I'm glad they didn't shoot him in the back while he was running away...Oh wait they tried that

Even though it seems a little extreme running the guy over I guess it's better than the Alternative of shooting him.

I have dealt with San Jose Cops for a good portion of my life and some of them are super offensive and corrupt so I'm glad this guy will have a chance to explain himself in court even though it won't do him much good. From what the Article says he might have a history of mental illness so the Officer could of actually been defending himself but if he would've tried to Tazer the man instead of physically hurting him with a Baton or Gun he might not have had those problems.

Do you think the Officer Handled the situation appropriately??

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Lesson of the day -- if you steal a policeman's gun, make sure to shoot him with it? Food for thought.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
Lesson of the day -- if you steal a policeman's gun, make sure to shoot him with it? Food for thought.

Well, might as well I guess.....It's not like after this he'll ever be getting out of prison anyway. At least that way you'll have respect in the pen and maybe have a chance of getting away before more cops show up.

Disclaimer: I in no way condone this behavior...
edit on 7-10-2011 by NewsWorthy because: Disclaimer

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

seriously?

the chump is still alive, right?

hell yeah, just like the dukes of hazard!

glad no one got dead, the cops did good.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

yea he's still alive so in that respect the cop did good...but they tried to kill him, they just missed.
I'm wondering if the cop Provoked and Escalated the Situation???They do that around here so they can beat on people. If the guy got the gun away and didn't instantly shoot the cop it makes me think the guy didn't wanna fight in the first place and was maybe defending himself against the cop. It's not likely, but it's possible.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Yeah to bad he didn't shoot the pigs.If i am going to get run over and spend the rest of my life in jail at least i would want a couple pig trophy's..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I can only think that this is what happens when someone actually wins a fight against a cop. It's not pretty. It's never even crossed my mind to fight a cop in the field, in what amounts to their world. Even if this guy HAD shot the cop....several hundred of his closest friends would have been one step behind forever.

I think the cop acted appropriately and perhaps showed a bit more restraint than other departments have in the not too distant past. Allowing a suspect to get a hold of his gun AND escape into the community with that new found treasure just couldn't be allowed to happen. What would we be discussing next week if he'd gotten away....then shot a kid with it? At least we'll never have to find out now.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The guy stole the cop's gun what do you want the cops to do? let him go? The responses in this thread make it out to seem that the cops were wrong for running him over, he really should have been shot. Wrabbit has it exactly right.
edit on 7-10-2011 by 4thhorsemen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

Pop the clip and throw the gun behind the cop. I almost guaranteeing he will go after the empty gun giving you a head start. Run fast because he has a couple of clips in his belt.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 4thhorsemen

I think the Cop more or less handled it as good as one could in that situation after the gun was taken...

But some things just don't add up to me about the cop pulling out a Baton and engaging in a fight then pulling a gun. It's possible the Cop willfully engaged/Provoked a fight when he started losing pulled his gun to shoot the man. I'm not saying that's what happened but I myself have had cops in the same City, Abuse me and Challenge me to Fights.

I don't see why if this guy is so crazy and is attacking the cop, Why would he not shoot him instantly when he got the gun????

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I agree things may not add up in the way the fight started, all I was saying is he handled it the right way after the gun was lost. We seem to both be in agreement lol I should have elaborated a little more in my earlier post.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
I don't see why if this guy is so crazy and is attacking the cop, Why would he not shoot him instantly when he got the gun????

Having been born and raised in California, that part is easy. After incidents like the Onion Field killings occurred and became movies...which spawned all kinds of other things over the years, it's almost a cultural thing there. Killing a California Cop is Death Row. No question and almost no exception. A homeless guy or anyone with time on the wrong side of society would definitely know that line was there and it's unforgivable. California is soft on many crimes...but not that one.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thhorsemen

I agree things may not add up in the way the fight started, all I was saying is he handled it the right way after the gun was lost. We seem to both be in agreement lol I should have elaborated a little more in my earlier post.

Yeah, I myself can't think of a better way to get a gun back from somebody without shooting him. So in that respect the Cop did a awesome job in the heat of the moment regardless of what started it. Honestly if I was that criminal I'd be thanking god those cops are bad shots and I only have broken bones after something like that.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I hardly think that'll make a bit of difference in the mind of somebody that is already attacking a cop and taking his gun away.

Just punching a cop is 15years so if the guy is already beating on the officer I doubt his life means much to him at that point. Because I'm sure the guy knows the cops about to end it in just a few seconds anyways.
edit on 8-10-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

It''s the difference between turning to run and trying to escape or just standing there and pulling a murder-suicide with the cop. The cop is alive, so obviously the guy did consider it because it had to be a conscious decision as he took control of the weapon. Suicide by cop would have been an absolute certain outcome if he'd pulled the trigger though.

The fact that Death Row is a near 100% certainty in California for killing a cop is one instance in a system of failures where the deterrence effect actually does work, at least to a fair degree. It's just a cause and effect situation....as it SHOULD be nation-wide but so rarely seems to be these days.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

The ironic thing is that you are trying to create (yet another) anti-poilce thread, yet everything you quoted in your OP shows the police reacted in the best way they could with some nutjob trying to steal their gun and assault them- as others have stated-he should be thankful he's not dead.
Gotta give the cops kudos on this one.......

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138

The ironic thing is that you are trying to create (yet another) anti-poilce thread, yet everything you quoted in your OP shows the police reacted in the best way they could with some nutjob trying to steal their gun and assault them- as others have stated-he should be thankful he's not dead.
Gotta give the cops kudos on this one.......

You're mistaken, I'm not creating an anti police thread, I was just reporting some news that happened in my hometown. I think there is possibly more to the story than the cops told the papers but I have said even in my OP that I think the cops handled it well considering there was a possible gunman on the lose.

No if I wanna create a anti police thread I'd have to wait until my lawsuit against the county is over so I can post my case. But that's another Story

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

The fact that Death Row is a near 100% certainty in California for killing a cop is one instance in a system of failures where the deterrence effect actually does work, at least to a fair degree. It's just a cause and effect situation....as it SHOULD be nation-wide but so rarely seems to be these days.

Yeah, but if you were to be held anywhere in California, (for life or an equivilant charge) death row is the place to be held. On death row you don't have to worry about joining the Skin-head, Mexican, Asian, or Black gangs for protection and you don't have to worry about random beatings from the Jailer gangs (which as far as I know might just be an LA thing). All you have to do is wait 20 years+ in appeals court and then hope that the death sentence gets repealed by a liberal governor or hope for a lethal injection shortage. If you are lucky enough to get an appeal and have your sentence down graded then you are set for life (free food, free medical, free boarding etc).
edit on 8-10-2011 by relique because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by relique

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Yeah, but if you were to be held anywhere in California, (for life or an equivilant charge) death row is the place to be held. On death row you don't have to worry about joining the Skin-head, Mexican, Asian, or Black gangs for protection and you don't have to worry about random beatings from the Jailer gangs (which as far as I know might just be an LA thing). All you have to do is wait 20 years+ in appeals court and then hope that the death sentence gets repealed by a liberal governor or hope for a lethal injection shortage. If you are lucky enough to get an appeal and have your sentence down graded then you are set for life (free food, free medical, free boarding etc).
edit on 8-10-2011 by relique because: (no reason given)

Yup it's sad but true...Most people die of natural causes on death row in California

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by relique

You've got me there. To the people who wind up there anyway, it does basically amount to the protection of segregation with the comforts of protected/advocated status as a death row inmate. It's a weird situation that exists there for how the death penalty actually works.

In the case of the homeless guy from the OP though, the cop's buddies would have shot him like a rabid dog if he'd been running from a murdered cop. We all saw that done not once, but twice in the North Hollywood shootout that has become so famous in the years since.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join