It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark Fin Ban Passes: California Legislature Sends The Bill To Gov. Brown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California's Legislature sent Gov. Jerry Brown a bill seeking to ban the sale, trade or possession of shark fins on Tuesday, over the objections of two senators who called the measure racist because the fins are used in a soup considered a delicacy in some Asian cultures.

The bill has split the Asian delegation in the Legislature. It was introduced by Assemblyman Paul Fong, D-Cupertino, and was supported by Sen. Carol Liu, D-Pasadena, who said it is needed to protect endangered shark species.

Others disagreed. Sen. Ted Lieu, D-Torrance, noted that the bill would ban only part of the shark while permitting the continued consumption of shark skin or steaks.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Some are calling this a racist bill -- stating that it discriminates against Chinese people. I would feel differant if these fins came from a shark that was caught, killed, and sold completely for food and products. Sadly, this is not the case. These fins are (generally) retrieved by catching the shark, slicing its fins off and then throwing it back into the ocean. That amounts to torture. *bleh*

So kudos to this.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I like shark fin soup. Mostly eaten at special events (cost) there is also a substitute that is used for the lower end eateries.

I don't think this will stop it being used though. Someone call the Shark Fin Swat Team....

join