It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Portland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Occupy Protests are spreading throughout the country.. Approximately 50 cities thus far have seen protests spontaniously popup.

Portland Oregon had a big surprise when they expected a few hundred people to show up, an instead got several thousand. Estimates are between 6 and 10 thousand people showed up on the first day of the occupation (and it is currently unsure where the actual occupation will take place..)

The photographers are friends of mine and are trying to give the protest the credit it deserves. At just 6 hours old and so big, police have now said they are worried about where all these people plan to "occupy". The protesters themselves have refused to give information about the route or place of occupation due to fears police will move in and attempt to remove them. I think though, given the size, they would have some trouble. It's also expected that the protest will expand rapidly here in Portland because of our young population, which also happen to have one of the highest unemployment rate in the country (and being 6 blocks from a big university helps)

Personally, I don't know what to think about the protests.. to me it seems like a Liberal version of the Tea Party, and that eventually it will be hijacked just as the Tea Party was. But for the time I spent downtown today it seems as if people of all types are out there.. and the main complaint should be bi-partisan .. corporate and government corruption leeching off the workers of our country.

I just wanted to give light to a protest in the corner of the country so often overlooked when it comes to political expression.

edit on 10/6/2011 by Rockpuck because: added photo

Current numbers for the day ..
New York City: 1,500 protesters
Los Angeles: 500 protesters
Seattle: 50 protesters
Portland: 6-8,000 protesters. (as high as 10k)

edit on 10/6/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Personally, I don't know what to think about the protests.. to me it seems like a Liberal version of the Tea Party, and that eventually it will be hijacked just as the Tea Party was.

This is how I feel as well. Those are some awesome pictures though! Tell the photographer god job. Whether we agree with it or not I think this movement may actually spur some change and may actually be remembered for awhile.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Portland Marathon kicks off tomorrow - where are all these people going to go?

From The Oregonian's Owen Smith: A speaker announced that he had just talked to the mayor and his aides and they told him the group must dissipate by 9 a.m. Friday for the setup of the Portland Marathon.

The others in the crowd were shouting: "Civil disobedience."

edit on 6-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

that 50 cities number is way off... even in my town there are occupy protests...got to be at least 20 cities in california alone if not many more.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It's Portland.. they'll probably start running with them lol..

As big as the group is, I'm betting they will try and occupy the River Front Park, it's the only place large enough to accommodate thousands of people.

reply to post by CaDreamer

50 large cities/large protests.. probably more since that is a MSM number and they have lied about everything regarding the protests so far..

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I got this site from my Great grandson son thats right im old as dirt I fought for this country in three different wars
and will continue to my dieing day to fight. I belive in America and the constitution there within.
In not some crazy old man just an old man that has seen a lot of bs in my 97 years on this earth. I lived through the (jewish bank imposed )deperssion of the 1930s and more dambed recessions that any one person should.
Im not going to say there is nothing wrong with wall street or corprate America, it needs fixing and in a bad way but its not the real problem.occuping wall street will call attention but to the wrong cause.everyone in these protest needs to go to washington DC and not protest but tear down the federal reserve not metephoricly Im saying take a F^&%$%^ sledgehammer with you and turn the building into rubble then go to the virginia suburb where that damb bernanke lives, drag him out to the streets run him up a flag pole and burn his house to the ground that will get the attention of all the right people I have NEVER paid a ss tax or an income tax and have never been approched by irs inc the bookkeeping and collection sevice for the federal reserve. destroy your credit cards get rid of your corprate citizenry by burning your drivers licences. Did you ever ask yourself why all the letters in your name on that document are in uppercase letters? (not correct english) you are considered a corprate citizen and teated as such this is how they are able to get away with the sham in the first place.
the taxes you pay got to pay off the nations depts the govrnment creates as a corporate citizen you are paying corprate taxes. Stop it remove the fed remove taxes and turn the central banking system into dust.
Every president that has tried to remove the fed has been assasinatinated think about it fight for whats left of your country and the constitution before the jewish bankers destroy it all.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

hey i can see a few of my friends in those photos

i have been watching this grow i was paying attention to the organizer web page and i almost consider making an ats thread but figured id wait till some photos or video hit the web,

you beat me to it

about 200 people showed up to the pre planning event a few nights ago, i knew right then there would be thousands turning up,

it is portland after all, very activist city,

i sure hope the police are kinder then they were during the protests that occurred when vera kats was in office, boy those were brutal,

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Police in St. Louis had to deal with some out of control protestors. They have moved from St. Louis and are heading to Springfield Mo.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Police and the city seem to be doing everything they can to prevent a "us vs. them" mentality breakout amongst the crowds. Considering only a few months ago there were protests against the numerous police shootings, and the police comish is doing everything to "improve relations with the people" (for some reason people resent police for murdering people?)

The city lifted camp restrictions for 2 different parks for people to camp at and police have not restricted movement much, except from blocking mass transit lines and getting to close to buildings in the finance district. But it's just the first day, I'm interested to see if this grows or shrinks, and how the city will respond to a long time occupation.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Current numbers for the day ..
New York City: 1,500 protesters
Los Angeles: 500 protesters
Seattle: 50 protesters
Portland: 6-8,000 protesters. (as high as 10k)

From what Ive been hearing, Dallas was around 600-800 today, Houston was around 500-600 and Austin had around 250. Portland had a pretty amazing turnout.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

edit on 7-10-2011 by Kumatage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Too much time has passed for me to edit my last post, but I messed up the number in Austin. I believe the Austin number is around 1500 to 2000. Thread on Austin

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by theaxe
I got this site from my Great grandson son thats right im old as dirt I fought for this country in three different wars
and will continue to my dieing day to fight. I belive in America and the constitution there within.
In not some crazy old man just an old man that has seen a lot of bs in my 97 years on this earth. I lived through the (jewish bank imposed )deperssion of the 1930s and more dambed recessions that any one person should.
Im not going to say there is nothing wrong with wall street or corprate America, it needs fixing and in a bad way but its not the real problem.occuping wall street will call attention but to the wrong cause.everyone in these protest needs to go to washington DC and not protest but tear down the federal reserve not metephoricly Im saying take a F^&%$%^ sledgehammer with you and turn the building into rubble then go to the virginia suburb where that damb bernanke lives, drag him out to the streets run him up a flag pole and burn his house to the ground that will get the attention of all the right people I have NEVER paid a ss tax or an income tax and have never been approched by irs inc the bookkeeping and collection sevice for the federal reserve. destroy your credit cards get rid of your corprate citizenry by burning your drivers licences. Did you ever ask yourself why all the letters in your name on that document are in uppercase letters? (not correct english) you are considered a corprate citizen and teated as such this is how they are able to get away with the sham in the first place.
the taxes you pay got to pay off the nations depts the govrnment creates as a corporate citizen you are paying corprate taxes. Stop it remove the fed remove taxes and turn the central banking system into dust.
Every president that has tried to remove the fed has been assasinatinated think about it fight for whats left of your country and the constitution before the jewish bankers destroy it all.

First, I dont buy that you are 97, especially judging by the way you type and I hate to say it, spelling, every person I know of that age has immaculate spelling.......

I do agree that the protests are miss managed and miss directed....

However I do not agree that you go to someones home and destroy it, nor put his family in danger........his kids and his wife dont deserve that.......

There are ways to do things, and direct violence will be met with direct violence from the government, and you have lost your cause........

You DO NOT get violent until you have no choice......and untill violence is acted upon you, THEN it is justified......

As a man of your age who has "fought 3 wars" you should know this
edit on 7-10-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Anyone interested in what this 99% movement is all about should check out this article on Alternet-

www.alternet.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Personally, I don't know what to think about the protests.. to me it seems like a Liberal version of the Tea Party, and that eventually it will be hijacked just as the Tea Party was.

This is how I feel as well. Those are some awesome pictures though! Tell the photographer god job. Whether we agree with it or not I think this movement may actually spur some change and may actually be remembered for awhile.

It's not just liberal, or it shouldn't be, but conservatives are a bunch of do nothings & apologists for the banksters, megacorporations, and the uber-wealthy.

Nice photos!

Progressives were hijacked by Obama. It already happened, and then he goes and is just another corporatist neocon once he has power. But we didn't go anywhere.

Screw Obama.
Screw the neocons.
Screw the uber-wealthy
Screw the megacorporations
Screw our corpocracy
Screw the banksters
Screw Herman Cain

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by theaxe

First, I dont buy that you are 97, especially judging by the way you type and I hate to say it, spelling, every person I know of that age has immaculate spelling.......

I do agree that the protests are miss managed and miss directed....

However I do not agree that you go to someones home and destroy it, nor put his family in danger........his kids and his wife dont deserve that.......

There are ways to do things, and direct violence will be met with direct violence from the government, and you have lost your cause........

You DO NOT get violent until you have no choice......and untill violence is acted upon you, THEN it is justified......

As a man of your age who has "fought 3 wars" you should know this
edit on 7-10-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

I was thinking the exact same thing! 97...no way
And furthermore, being Jewish is not a polital ideology and you should not confuse it with Zionism, which is.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Anyone have an update on how Occupy Portland is going?
I know yesterday Mayor Adams said he was going to approach this on a day to day basis, and cited that Occupy Wall Street has been ongoing for weeks.

I am currious what will send the protestors home?
1. The government quickly making new regulation and effectively enacting it?
2. The amount of patience the local authorities can show?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Mayor of Portland is attempting to remove the occupiers right now...it seems he thinks that reasoning along the lines that the protest is inconvienent should get the streets of downtown Portland cleared. Apparently the occupiers dissagree....

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

They did a god job managing one of the regions largest marathons with the protest.. it seems the city is taking issue with them trying to take over several more parks (and a street). About 500 people now "live" downtown (many of which it seems may live on the streets anyways, including many 'street kids')

The thing about the protest though is why make trouble... Portland is a notoriously Liberal city, it's akin to preaching to the choir...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

hoesntly the people in those photos dont look like hippies to me
dont you agree Rockpuck? funny they keep claiming that the people protesting in these protests are just hippies , if they were hippies i doubt they would be interested in such protest rallies

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join